Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2883

A tiny tale with a big response!

ROME: 8 July 2011 -- It may well surprise readers, but not an austraLasia goes by without some response somewhere around the wide readership - yesterday's simple tale of Peter To Rot has brought the following:

From a Japanese Salesian: "I read the article about Peter To Rot. It was sad and brutal history during the war when Japanese invaded such a peaceful island. I don’t know how atone for this as a one of Japanese. I would like to say “sorry” thousand times to all people and I praise Peter To Rot because he was brave and real witness of Jesus".

From an Indian Salesian: "thanks for the info. Would have never known about Peter To Rot. I've worked with village catechists and have seen the likes of PTR among a few of them... His story needed a voice.
Thanks
".

From a PNG-based Salesian: "just some tidbits about Peter ToRot. Until last year, his great grandson was a student in Vunabosco. In fact, the young man was the tour guide of the FMA Sisters when they visited East New Britain last year. Last week, AB Panfilo informed us that today begins a year-long celebration in preparation for the centenary of Bl. Peter ToRot's birth (1912). Next year's celebration will definitely be "big time"."

-------
And now another small tale (not about a martyr, this one, but the first from Thailand for a while, so thanks to a faithful correspondent!)

"On Saturday 2nd July 2011, there was an important event for the THA Province. It was the 25th Anniversary of Priestly Ordination of Fr. Michael Adulkasem sdb.
    Fr. Michael Adulkasem (His Thai name is also "Michael") or Fr Mick, is now the parish priest at St. Anne Catholic Church, Koh Samui, Suratthani Diocese. He is the only Salesian in this important and famous island of Thailand. I believe that you have heard about this island. On the occasion of the 25th Anniversary of his Priesthood, he has translated 3 books: the first one is for Priests, the second is for Religious both men and women, and the third is for Catholics generally. More than 20 priests, all of them Salesians, except for one Camillian, joined the Eucharistic Celebration. You can see the atmosphere of the 25th Anniversary in the video.

ps: I forgot to tell you that the motto of Fr Mick is "Do this in memory of me". It is written under the cross in the church of St. Joseph. At the end of the Mass, he told a story. The story goes somewhat like this: A man came to Jesus asking him what to do. Jesus told him to push a big stone. While he was pushing the stone, the other man laughed at him and told him to give up because he could not move it. He then went to Jesus and complained to him: "Why did you tell me to push the stone? Don't you know it won't move?" Jesus told him that he did not want the stone to be moved, but he wanted his perseverance only. Fr. Mick concluded that he is now still pushing the stone in his life. Therefore, he must persevere in his life as a priest until the day they carry him to this church again at the end of his life. Is it a good thought?"

(Yes, Father, an excellent thought! Thank you!)
 AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2011 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Or be interactive with the EAO blog Cetera Tolle. Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at http://sdl.sdb.org