Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2811

Happy (belated) Feast day! And other matters

ROME: 25 February 2011 --  Very much aware that where the bulk of austraLasia readers are, the Salesian Feast of the Proto-martyrs, Versiglia and Caravario, is all but over.  Had hoped to hear from either China or Timor on this one, but maybe we'll get an account of festivities in due course. Anyway - happy feast day!

New Don Bosco School in Samoa - Salelologa
I think it is worth reprinting the Provincial's comments from Australia-Pacific Province, and perhaps this serves to emphasise why this insistence on Australia-Pacific.  A very lively, faithful and significant Salesian presence for nigh on 30 years, in the South Pacific Island zone (forget Bali Hai and all that romantic rubbish) has borne yet more fruit. Read on....

School opens at Salelologa
"It is with much joy that I can announce that Fr Mosese Tui has formally opened Don Bosco High School at Salelologa, Savai’i (Samoa's 'big' island). Mosese has worked nothing short of a miracle. We are still not able to get onto the site, and into the buildings, which are at various stages of construction. Mosese and his staff have begun classes in the Parish Hall, beside Fr Nick Castelyns’ new Church (Nick is now Parish Priest back on the other island at this stage however), and behind the community Parish Residence. There is a fine cohort of beginning students, and we have a Year 9 and Year 10. Mosese is very happy with his academic staff, but is still struggling to get staff for the technical subjects. Fortunately, finance from the German Ministry is beginning to flow, as well as other sources of support elicited by Don Bosco Mission, Bonn. The prognosis is good. There is every chance that Don Bosco High will be fully operational on its school site and in the new buildings immediately after Easter".

Lenten Sundays
Seems important to mention this now, to give people time should they want a copy. Fr Michael Winstanley's latest biblical reflections, titled 'Lenten Sundays: Reflections on the Gospel Readings', has just arrived on my desk. It would be unfair to provide any kind of review at this point since I've merely had the chance to flick through the pages, but we already know the quality of this author and his earlier reflections, and this will be more of the same. He brings with it enormous experience and non-intimidating scholarship; in other words Michael writes for all of us, and in fact he selects his readership this time as "all people, lay, religious, ordained clergy..... of all denominations".  As usual this item is produced by Don Bosco Publications out of Bolton, which is a true little jewel for its English language Salesian publications - pastorally focused, cleanly printed and solidly sent! (By contrast with some other publishers who do well up until the distribution part, then it falls apart - literally!). If you want to know more, including special prices for overseas requests (being presumptuous as usual), contact joyce@salesians.org.uk 
 AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2011 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Or be interactive with the EAO blog Cetera Tolle. Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at http://sdl.sdb.org