Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2773

Remembering our mothers; and an Economist in Quetzaltenango

23 December 2010 -- The two headline topics are not strictly connected!  It's just that there is a tiny link. 
As we approach Christmas, we know that two confreres in our region (and possibly others) are suffering the loss of their mother at this time, and it would be good to remember them in prayer: Fr Nick Castelijns, long time missionary in Samoa, was able to assist his mother's final days in Holland, with his other brothers and family members. Bro Hilario Seo, Korea, was able to spend the last two months often at his mother's side, after concluding his service as webmaster for sdb.org. Both mothers are now with the Lord for Christmas.
    The 'tiny link' comes from a quite unexpected source. Was recently reading the story of Brother Joe Keckeissen SDB, who will spend Christmas in hospital after a serious stroke that has brought him near to death, though he is making a slow recovery now, it seems. The 'link' is twofold: Joe was with the US Army in Korea as a parachutist in the early 1950s, and I just happened to come across his story in a Spanish economics magazine as we heard of Hilario's mum's death; but I also met Joe in Guatemala in or about 1988.  But let the article 'An Economist in Quetzaltenango' fill us in on the rest of the story.  At a time when ANS and sdb.org are promoting short video clips of vocation testimonials in preparation for (and they will continue throughout) the 2011 Strenna, Joe Keckeissen's story is fascinating.
    Joseph Edward Keckeissen, better known as 'Don Joe' (though he is a Brother, not a priest), by his students, was born in Brooklyn, New York (USA), on 14 January 1925. His parents were George Wilfred Keckeissen and Rita Grace McNally. When he was 12 his parents decided to send him to study at the “Salesian School” in Goshen, a boarding school 70 miles from New York. There he got to know Salesian Brother Nicolás Pierro, with whom he struck up a friendship and of whom he has very happy memories.  He also knew Fr Ambrose Rossi, Provincial in the US at the time and whom he would also deal with later in Central America.
    He spent just a year at Goshen, then opted for “Don Bosco College” Newton (New Jersey), where he spent what he calls “seven happy years” (1938-1945). After completing High School, he entered the novitiate, and made his first profession as a Salesian of Don Bosco” then began philosophy (Baccalaureatus Artium). He did his practical training at Marrero (1946), Tampa (1947) and New Rochelle (1948-1949).
    Because of health problems, he decided at this point, not to continue, and left the Congregation. At some point he went into the Army: did his military service from 1950 to 1953, playing his part in the Korean War as a parachutist and became a Lieutenant Colonel. He remained in the Reserves until 985.
Doctor in Economics
ck in the US he finished his Higher education at the Graduate School of Business, Columbia University, New York (1954-1955), with a Masters of Business Administration (Management). He then worked for a time with the Humble Oil and Refinig Company (Pehima, Baltimore), as accountant, auditor and programmer for the new computer section (1955-1962). meanwhile he was pursuing a Doctorate at the Graduate School of Business Administration, New York University, and gained his Ph.D in Economics. It was then that he thought of writing to Fr Ambrose Rossi, who was by now in San Salvador (El Salvador), and who suggested he return to the Salesians. On 27 December 1962 he came to San Salvador, and placed himself at the disposition of Fr. Segundo De Bernardi, Provincial in Central America.
    He entered the novitiate once more at (Ayagualo, El Salvador), and then helath once again forced him to withdraw. He went back to the US but in 1971, better again, he went back to Central America to work with the Provincial Economer, this time, of course, not as a Salesian.
Humanising the market place
Some time later he was invited to Guatemala, to teach Economics at the nascent Universidad Francisco Marroquín, and headed up the Economics Department there from 1973. He continued in this role in fact, with love and dedication, even until recently. He was a convinced teacher of the philosophy of freedom. In New York he had sat at the feet of Ludwig Von Mises who encouraged him, with a critical sense, to humanise the market especially through Catholic Social Teaching. He wrote many articles and gave many conferences. His students very much appreciated him. In 1989 The Marroquin Uni gave him a "Doctor honoris causa” in Social Sciences. But 'Don Joe's' love for Don Bosco was by no means quenched. One day he said: “I always had the desire to be a Salesian; I have tried to live out his spirit and cooperate with Salesian work in a thousand ways. So in 1986, after a retreat, I had the idea of asking if I could once again return to the Congregation. My former novice master supported my application; so did many other Salesians. So on 8 September 1990, I once again made my vows, after so many years away”. (And it was around that time that we met, in Guatemala, I recall).
    Bro Joe has spent the last 15 or so years in Queltzaltenango, in the Salesian community there.  He is now a ripe old age, and will be struggling to recover from his stroke, so no doubt, even though he knows nothing of this news item, he will appreciate our prayers.
    And may this little story be an encouragement to anyone else who might be struggling out there, including trying to discern where the Lord is really calling them to be!
 AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use Bosconet-wiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2010 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Or be interactive with the EAO blog Cetera Tolle. Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at http://sdl.sdb.org