Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3145

A breath of fresh air"
Interview with two young Vietnamese missionaries in Hungary, Project Europe
 Lengyel Erzsébet
BUDAPEST: 15 October 2012-- The first missionaries to strengthen the Hungarian Salesian Province arrived in 2006. Here below we can read the experiences of two young more recently arrived Vietnamese Salesians, Pham Quoc Thai Hung Dominic Savio and Nguyen Hai Ly James.

What do you feel is the most important task?
Dominic Savio – When Project Europe began, the first difficulty we faced was to actually get to Hungary. Then we had to learn the language and get accustomed to the cultural differences. We slowly learned how to be amongst the youth here and what kind of activities they liked to engage in. Right now learning is the most important thing in my life; this comes first, everything else comes after. At least now I can get a glimpse of the real task ahead with the help of another missionary, Fr Claudius Misquitta, who has already finished the early learning stage and begun his work. Later, I will also have other tasks, but first I have to learn how to behave among young people in Hungary. I feel that there are already some results. When I arrived, I said to myself: Jesus and Don Bosco were already here before we arrived, they were well known and I do not have to introduce them. We only have to live together with the youth with the help of Don Bosco and Jesus Christ.

What difficulties have you encountered?
James – There are hardships everywhere. In all walks of life I have experienced successes and failures as well. Sometimes I feel like the only difficulty is how to preach about God to the children. It is still not easy to invite them to pray together. It is no problem to invite them to other activities, camps or such things, they will always come; but to invite them to church, that is something else… As we embarked on this mission, we knew that a new culture and life awaited us where we must find our own niche. Our presence here is like a breath of fresh air, which brings tranquility. The distance and the differences do not pose a real problem; we have the ability to overcome the cultural differences.

What was the oddest, most surprising aspect for you?
Dominic Savio –  One difference was that in Vietnam it is easier to invite people to church, but this is difficult to do here. We have been told that in this country most of the people are Christians, but it is still not easy to invite the youth. It does not matter where we come from; the only thing that matters is that we are Salesians. There is only one Don Bosco, and the Salesian charism is the same everywhere: we want to take care of the youth. Our language is different, our culture is different, but there is one thing, which is the same: the Constitutions. This remains unchanged in every country of the world. I have told my friends and relatives back home how lucky we are to be a part of this Congregation. Within this family we are together as Salesians wherever we go. It is not easy to get acquainted with Hungarian culture, but we have been supported with all the help we need. Pope Benedict said our mission is to invite the children to the church, and we will see that parents will also follow them. If we win the hearts of the children, Christianity will spread again. The children might not fully comprehend what they hear from us yet, but when they grow up, they will remember and perhaps give it a second thought.

What was similar between Vietnam and Hungary?
James –  In the past, there were a lot of children in the families, but now this has changed and there are only two or three, like here. There are many larger families in Budapest-Óbuda, so there is no great difference in this respect from Vietnam.

Is there difference between the missions earlier, and those of now?
Dominic Savio – Earlier, missionaries from Hungary went to Cuba, China and others from every place in Europe. Now, it seems to be the other way around. At that time, evangelisation was the most important goal. Nowadays, we need re-evangelisation. Back then, Catholic families were common, but by now they have almost disappeared, their number has dwindled. I think, our task now is somewhat more difficult, but of course this depends on us as well. For example, I have heard about European missionaries who went to Vietnam but could not learn the language and had to come back. But we are still here. There is a difference between the missions of our time and of former times. When the missionaries from Europe left, they brought a lot of material help with them. Now, we have to bring something else. Wealth is not important, we have to find that 'something else' which youth need from us now. This 'something else' lies within our heart; this is the charism of Don Bosco – the most important!

What do you think about the situation of the youth in Hungary?
Dominic Savio – When I first came here it was surprising that the people in general were much richer than in Vietnam. But I quickly realized that the children need encouragement and praise just like the children in Vietnam. This is what matters! We do not have to give them things, because they have already got everything; we only need to take care of them and to be with them. If the children enter the oratory and no one is there to greet them or to play with them, they will simply leave. But if there is someone who greets them happily and talks with them, they like to stay. They have got modern phones, mobiles, sometimes even two of them, computers, everything, still they miss "something”… I think this is the greatest difference between Europe and Asia.

The young people do not comprehend the meaning of perpetual profession as yet; what it means to be in service of the youth until the end of your life. that we have come to Hungary and want to stay here FOREVER. To stay forever with Don Bosco and be Salesians forever and take care of the youth. Fortunately, slowly, new vocations are coming. And God does call people to his service! The Province still lives and the Salesian charism is carried on in Hungary. Right now, there are two novices, and two candidates – not too much, but at least there are some.

Do you feel that you are accepted now in Hungary?
James – A couple of old ladies walked up to me and said to keep on going. I am still young and have got plenty of time, and they have little time left, but still they would like to see me become a priest. I think they count on me and surround me with their love. I know that everything I achieve is also the result of all the love and prayers I receive. This is what I have experienced from older and younger people as well, and this is very good to feel. 

Dominic Savio – Every time I have exams, I get a lot of messages telling me, “keep it up, Domonkos, you can do it!” I feel that there are many who care about us. Still I always ask them to be patient with me, because this is something different for us than it is for a Hungarian. A native can easily do anything but for us, this does not always happen for the first time. We have to consider how something should be done, because we have to do everything according to Hungarian culture and not according to our own. I ask everyone to be patient. Patience always yields its fruits. Still, I can barely wait to reach the end of the learning!