Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3019

Evangelising through teaching in a Catholic School
NILA, SHORTLAND ISLANDS, SI: 17 February 2012 -- The  first Teachers’ Seminar for the Catholic Diocese of Gizo with the theme Evangelising through teaching in a Catholic School, was held in Nila, Shortland Islands, recently .The workshop opened with Mass and was attended by the Teachers from St.John Bosco Nila Primary School, St.John Bosco Junior secondary, St.John Bosco Senior and Technical School, St.Annes RTC, chiefs from nearby villages and some members of the communities living in Nila. A total of 68 attended the workshop.

The Seminar’s objectives: 
(a) To understand the mission of the teacher as evangelizer while educating 
(b) To value the culture, enriching it and purifying it with the gospel values 
(e) Schools, communities and stakeholders to be aware of their roles and responsibilities and participate fully in all aspects of the schools developments 
(f)To deepen our understanding of our roles and responsibilities as Catholic Teachers and Communities in the 4  schools. 
(g) To understand and value our profession as teachers 
(h) To study together the educative and pastoral plan in a school setting and its purpose (i) To understand and value the areas of the plan

Facilitators: 
The Education Secretary for Gizo Diocese, Wryne Bennett (Mrs), Bishop Luciano Capelli SDB, the Principal of the St. John Bosco Schools Ms. Olivia Doblas, the Headmistress of Nila Primary School and Mrs. Mary Laore.

Achievements: 
On the first day, the Education Secretary reminded them to dwell on this message “You were called by your Baptism to be a leader and teacher, to be an example to the rest of the flock of a commitment to continue growing in the things of God; you were called to evangelize in the schools and community you serve.” 

The Vision and Mission of the Diocese of Gizo Catholic Education System followed on from here and was well introduced and noted by the teachers.

On the second day, Classroom management was presented by Ms Olive, and then Ms Mary Laore took the session on Leadership. 

A total of 68 participants attended the 3rd day including Chiefs from the nearby villages and the Nila communities of Sapusapuae and Kopakopana ,where Bishop Luciano Capelli introduced the Educative Pastoral plan.

The teachers and the community in Nila, after studying the pastoral plan, began drawing up their own  plan and this is to be continued during the year. They appreciated what the Seminar had presented them with. as some  had commented in their Evaluation sheet.

Seminar Evaluation from some of the teachers who attended:
  • I have learned a lot from this Teachers’ seminar .Most of the lectures and topics discussed and presented during the four days were very helpful
  • The seminar has helped me to see and understand the responsibilities and commitments of a Catholic teacher in order to help the students to learn and grow in their Catholic duties.
  • This seminar reminds me of my call to holiness. Educating with the Heart. Understanding of the role that I should perform within the school, community, and Nation at large. 
  • The seminar challenges me more on who I am, where am I standing. I learned the most important points of the vision-mission statements to focus my leadership as a leader whole-heartedly committed to my responsibility as role model for my children, pupils, students..