Larger Font Smaller Font 向上 向下 Go comment 打印
?

Shortcut

Prev上一页 文章

Next下一页 文章

Larger Font Smaller Font 向上 向下 Go comment 打印
austra L asia 1146

Small steps towards Open Source

ROME: 28th May 2005 --  What follows is both news and opinion.  There - I've declared my hand!  'The news' is that within the past month, a new document format has been approved as a worldwide standard.  It is called, simply enough, OpenDocument format and is backed by a movement called Open Source.  What it means effectively is that the one who uses the Open Document format is not locked in to a particular vendor or proprietary software. The rest that follows is opionion.  Take it or leave it.
    The issue possibly has implications for Salesians, because it is part of a wider issue of dependency that we all experience - dependency on proprietary software.  It occurs to me that the wealth of industrialised nations (I am looking only at the software/computer scene) is not entirely innocent nor apolitical.  The question came to me in two practical circumstances - buying cheap proprietary software for almost nothing in a part of Asia ($2 instead of $900), and suggesting to students from Ethiopia that they might want to get some help with essays, obviously using MSword as the medium.
    In the first instance, there is some sort of obvious ethical problem: call it piracy, or try to suggest that the 'benefits' of industrialised expertise is somehow being subsidised, made hidden or zeroed out, and the disks possibly don't work anyway when you get home!  A further problem is a spelling one - the disk I saw was called 'Adope collection'!!  In the second instance there is nothing obviously wrong with helping students from Ethiopia or anywhere else via MSword, but it might be a path taken which is not ultimately in the best interests of that nation, once one considers the costs involved in sustaining proprietary software use.
    So what could we do, practically speaking?  Over several months I have taken small steps, none of which I regret.  One is to use Mozilla's Firefox browser instead of IE Explorer.  Worth saying immediately that you probably should not attempt ever to remove IE since so much of the Windows system relies on it.  But nobody says you have to use it. Firefox is no worse (a tiny bit slower), probably better (it reads RSS to start with), definitely cheaper (nothing), and not as 'heavy'.  A second move is to ditch OE (Outlook Express) in favour of the open source Thunderbird.  Very definitely better in every respect.
    OpenOffice has arrived at the next-but-last beta format before OpenOffice 2.0.  I'm moving in that direction but haven't fully 'plunged' as yet.  It too costs, nothing, the OpenDocument format is now widely approved and backed by the EU, it does all that the 'other' office program does and a little more - it saves to PDF format without using the proprietary Adobe software.
    And Linux. you ask?  Haven't taken that step yet!  Need to think about it.  But there is another step I only have praise for.  It's called Wiki, and it's too long to write about here.  Look it up.  Wiki is all about collaborative text production - if you want to see it in action tell me and I'll demonstrate how to go about it and use it in a practical project.  JBF

VOCABULARY
to declare one's hand:  to state openly
Open Source: a movement that makes licenses and computer code freely available, and usually free in a financial sense.
vendor: a firm or group that sells things
proprietary: owned by someone (therefore not freely available and usually not free in financial terms)
apolitical: without political consequences, or nothing to do with politics.
to ditch: to throw out
AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For RSS feeds, subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/rssala.xml.  If you subscribe, email this information and your name will come off the regular email list.  RSS eliminates problems such as multiple mailings, viruses, email bloat.  Think about it!

__

List of Articles
编号 分类 标题 查看
218 World 1163_Major update to Bosconet: EAO resource focus 365
217 World 1160_Memoirs of the Oratory: a surprising finding 191
216 World 1155_The storyteller's story must be told 335
215 World 1150_History is made -again - in Jerusalem 396
214 World 1148_SIP: Not a new province, but 'Come over to Macedonia' and try it out! 309
» World 1146_Small steps towards Open Source 289
212 World 1132_Salesian Bulletins: new directions in EAO? 472
211 World 1130_Salesian Bulletin - English editions - online - in general 485
210 World 1125_Media "Can Foster Greater Unity or Create Divisions and Conflict" 407
209 World 1119_PCN: Success through perseverance for worldwide Religious network 487
208 World 1111_Benedict XVI has "The vision to see and the courage to say". 232
207 World 1110_Joy or sadness: Fr Herrera takes 2nd prize in international photo competition 385
206 World 1108_Arrival of basic framework for SDB Social Communications 445
205 World 1107_SIGNIS tribute: 'Pope of the Media' 430
204 World 1102_Wanted: Jesus Christ on a good day (and more) 610
203 World 1098_"Yes, Mario, I am you father too". Tribute to JP II 1731
202 World 1095_A treasure house of (unknown?) riches 280
201 World 1092_austraLasia on the road - to Emmaus 263
200 World 1090_Warming encounters on the Via Dolorosa 266
199 World 1089_Mission Animation Notes - first of a series 543
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 35 Next
/ 35