NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2459

You've heard of 'tweets' and 'Twitter', but do you know about 'tiddlers'?

ROME: 11th July 2009 -- If you haven't heard of tweets and Twitter, then welcome to Planet Earth.  We hope you enjoy your stay! But you can be forgiven for not knowing about tiddlers.  reminds me of the story of the Martian, who after three unsuccessful attempts to command a petrol pump he encountered near the landing spot if it could 'take me to your leader!', gave up in exasperation saying: 'and next time I speak to you, please take your finger out of your ear!'.
    TiddlyWiki and Tiddlers!  Let me tell you that this relatively recent 'invention', not to be confused with tiddlywinks, could offer you the possibility of at least a small revolution in the way you work, and to demonstrate this, I am offering you (just drop me a line saying 'yes please' or words to that effect), the entire Salesian Thesaurus and Glossary as a TiddlyWiki.
    What is it?  It is just a single html file - and that's one advantage.  You can carry a single file anywhere on any digital storage medium.  But it has one other advantage - because it's a wiki, you could alter (that is, write to the file yourself) any item of content.  Bearing this in mind, you might like, on receiving the gift, to store it under the name it has when you receive it, then store it elsewhere and change that name to anything you want (do NOT use 'save as' from your browser - that will destroy it; instead, change the name of the file itself using the 'rename' feature in your folder).
    How does it work?  It looks almost magical but of course it's not.  It's a simple javascript and css description inside the html file that give it its interactivity.
    How could you use it?  Well - the possibilities are endless. Get yourself a 'clean' TiddlyWiki (easiest way is to download one from www.tiddlywiki.com or just empty out a copy of the one I'll send you if you want it.  either way you will end up with a very useful little tool for notes, 'to do' lists, entire cross-referenced books if you want.
    Which is what the Glossary is, by now.  Printed out it runs to more than a 100 pages.  And it is much more than a Glossary.  It is an up-to-date reference to the entire Salesian 'universe' of discourse, helpful not only to translators, but also useful for meditation, reflection, and a stimulus to owning our Salesian story.
    Enjoy!  The tiddlers and the thesauraus are gift for the Feast of st Benedict :-)    jbf

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use Bosconet-wiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2009 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at http://sdl.sdb.org

Title: australasia 2459
Subject and key words: SDB General TiddlyWiki
Date (year): 2009
ID: 2000-2099|2459

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
518 World 2534_A wealth of good material 498
517 World 2527_Cardinal Zen on Salesian and missionary spirituality 346
516 World 2506_Resources constantly on the increase 1717
515 World 2504_Time and timing: 2009 is about Salesian Family 478
514 World 2502_Prestigious international award for Fr Charles Velardo, Thailand 571
513 World 2490_Guam Salesian presence given full media treatment 635
512 World 2480_Exploring an idea - and asking your involvement 572
511 World 2479_St Francis de Sales' birthday gift - Sagato Falanisisi o Sale Parish! 576
510 World De Sales and Social Media2473_ 580
509 World 2467_Holy Father's appointments involve three Salesians from EAO Region 559
508 World 2464_Is it Keats, Cricket or Caskets we are talking about, or did you just want a cup of tea? 539
507 World 2460_Change is on the way 354
» World 2459_You've heard of 'tweets' and 'Twitter', but do you know about 'tiddlers'? 517
505 World 2454_Understanding the process in Saintly Causes 261
504 World 2452_Mission Cooperative Plan New Rochelle, New York 533
503 World 2451_Mission critical 321
502 World 2442_Keeping an eye on the Altars 460
501 World 2434_'Universal Church' in Jerusalem sees 17 new Deacons 355
500 World 2427_An important message - and time for a little fun! 603
499 World 2426_Starting again - with a sure and beautifully produced guide 377
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 35 Next
/ 35