Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2451

Mission critical

ROME: 30th June 2009 -- Nobody would deny that email is 'mission critical' today.  Nobody would deny that it is the primary written communications medium in use on a daily basis. So what happens to most of our email in the longer term?  It stays with the 'client' we employ to write it and receive it, be that Outlook/Express, Thunderbird, Google...... until such time as we either delete it, or it gets deleted, by accident or the inevitable computer crash.  I know.  It happened to me just a week ago - the crash, I mean, not necessarily the deletion.  And hence my point.

Let me put this in an even more dramatic way.  You will find, on SDL, the 6,000 letters of Don Cimatti, and 5,000 or thereabouts of Don Rua - the work is unfinished. Sure, they were different times, different circumstances.  Would we be so confident, though, of finding 6,000 items of digital correspondence of anybody, let alone a candidate for the Altars, over the past ten or twenty years?  Almost certainly not.  And there lies the problem.

There is a solution.  It is a simple solution which saved me from disaster when I could have 'lost' three months worth of email. In fact I did NOT lose three months worth of email.  I lost some, but only ones that probably were worth losing anyway.
    The solution involves a principle which has three associated elements: 

(1) make sure you can get your email and its attachments outside of, beyond your email client, 
(2) make sure that once they are outside they can still be associated, that is, you can tell what email refers to which attachments and 
(3) ensure that you attend to this matter on a systematic basis.  None of it can be truly automated.

The fact is that whatever email client you are using, it will offer the first two possibilities as add-ons.  If you are using Outlook or Outlook Expressyou may have to pay for the add-on - but you paid for the email client anyway, so the logical consequence is you pay for the next step. If you are using Thunderbird or some other free and open option, it will not cost you anything. I will explain what I do, which is a free (as in beer) choice.

I use Thunderbird as an email client.  I have added an add-on called AttachmentExtractor.  AE, as we'll call it from here on - remember, it has its equivalents in other Email Clients - permits me to create a folder anywhere I like, probably away from my current computer on a portable hard disk.  
    From there on it is simple.  When I receive or send an email that I judge to be worth preserving (ultimately only a human being can make that judgement), I simply highlight it in the Inbox and click AE. At that point the email and its attachments are copied to the chosen folder.  The email is copied as an html file, therefore 'text only' and accessible to anything that can read text. It contains a reference to its attachments. The attachments are saved in their particular format (doc, ppt, jpg whatever) in the same folder. Of course I include 'sent' emails in this activity.  It's of little value if you only save one side of the process!  
    I also do one small extra thing - I use the 'tag' option in the email client to remind me, with a chosen colour, that I have copied the email to somewhere else . Or I simply delete the email at that point.
    Then weekly, I go to the folder and make a second decision on the saved correspondence, as to whether I really want to keep it and if so, where, or how I want to keep it.  That will mostly mean keeping it in digital form, occasionally in paper form.

Following the above procedure resolves the issue. It requires a combination of readily available technology and a little personal discipline.
For those who keep email on Google - a simple word of advice.  Do not trust this process in the long term.  It will save unlimited amounts of email for now, and for nothing.  But Google has been known to 'lose' email too.  I receive Gmail, but all Gmail is redirected to Thunderbird where the above processes go into action.

If you want any help with this, feel free to ask.  
    jbf.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use Bosconet-wiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2009 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at http://sdl.sdb.org

Title: australasia 2451
Subject and key words: SDB General: saving email
Date (year): 2009
ID: 2000-2099|2451

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
518 World 2534_A wealth of good material 498
517 World 2527_Cardinal Zen on Salesian and missionary spirituality 346
516 World 2506_Resources constantly on the increase 1717
515 World 2504_Time and timing: 2009 is about Salesian Family 478
514 World 2502_Prestigious international award for Fr Charles Velardo, Thailand 571
513 World 2490_Guam Salesian presence given full media treatment 635
512 World 2480_Exploring an idea - and asking your involvement 572
511 World 2479_St Francis de Sales' birthday gift - Sagato Falanisisi o Sale Parish! 576
510 World De Sales and Social Media2473_ 580
509 World 2467_Holy Father's appointments involve three Salesians from EAO Region 559
508 World 2464_Is it Keats, Cricket or Caskets we are talking about, or did you just want a cup of tea? 539
507 World 2460_Change is on the way 354
506 World 2459_You've heard of 'tweets' and 'Twitter', but do you know about 'tiddlers'? 517
505 World 2454_Understanding the process in Saintly Causes 261
504 World 2452_Mission Cooperative Plan New Rochelle, New York 533
» World 2451_Mission critical 321
502 World 2442_Keeping an eye on the Altars 460
501 World 2434_'Universal Church' in Jerusalem sees 17 new Deacons 355
500 World 2427_An important message - and time for a little fun! 603
499 World 2426_Starting again - with a sure and beautifully produced guide 377
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 35 Next
/ 35