?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

austraLasia #1808

RM's opening words in Vietnam - a good way to put the visit into context
[full text of opening remarks]

HO CHI MINH CITY: 10th April 2007 -- "But you all look so serious! You know, when the Rector Major visits the confreres, there is a lot of joy around. Are you all happy and joyful? [Yes!!!]. And now that you are all awake, first of all I would like to thank Fr. John Baptist Them for his words of welcome. Especially because the whole province of Vietnam is meaningful for the whole Congregation. Maybe you know that when I was elected Rector Major in 2002, I was invited to visit Vietnam on the occasion of 50th anniversary of the Salesian Presence in Vietnam. But at the beginning, my agenda was full up. So at that time Fr. Luc van Looy came for the official celebration.
    Up until this moment I have been able to visit most of the provinces of Italy-Middle East, those of Western, Northern Europe, South Asia region, all the provinces of Africa except for three that I will visit in October. In the East Asia-Oceania Region, all provinces had been visited except Vietnam. You know why? Because as the Gospel says, the last is the best! [applause].
    It is! Very much so [True]. You are not only the most fruitful province of the Region, at this moment you are the most fruitful in the whole Congregation. And that means a lot for you. During the last few years, through the generosity of the Vietnamese confreres, we were able to send missionaries to different parts of the world. And these confreres are doing very well .
    It seems that the Vietnamese confreres are capable in all kinds of fields, in all kinds of works, in all kinds of contexts, because I have met Vietnamese confreres in Sudan, Africa. They are doing very well. They are hard workers, they are always in the midst of the young people, they are always available to serve, they are marvellous. I have also met Vietnamese confreres in Italy, they are doing very well, for example, in the Province of Liguria-Toscana. But even in Hungary, the Provincial is very grateful to you. Due to you, due to these same Vietnamese missionaries, it seems that the Salesian presence in Hungary is coming back into its own again. They seem even to succeed in learning the Hungarian language. You know, Hungarian is very difficult to learn, because it is a language so different from Vietnamese. Even I could understand only a few words, like Jesus, Don Bosco, Amen, Alleluia.  They are doing so well also in Mongolia which is entrusted to Vietnam. The Catholic Church is growing, the number of Christians is growing. The Holy See, the Holy Father is very happy. The Holy Father had wanted to visit Mongolia on the way to Moscow but his trip to Moscow was cancelled, hence, there was no visit to Mongolia.
    Vietnamese missionary confreres are doing so well that we are preparing two Brothers to work in the Polyglot Press at the Vatican where all the books written by the Holy Father and all the documents of the Holy See are published.  So at this moment, you are really presenting a marvellous gift to God, to all of us, to the whole Congregation. The presence of Vietnam is representing the most consistent presence in the whole congregation. It is not difficult to see the number of the novices, the number of the newly professed members, and the perseverance rate among the confreres is the highest percentage in the whole Congregation. So, I am very grateful to God, and on behalf of Don Bosco, the Congregation, I would like to thank Fr. Provincial, and all the confreres. You deserve all our gratitude and our congratulations.
   During my visit, I would like to remind you the mind of Don Bosco. Don Bosco is always smiling because he was full of joy in his heart. He wanted the young people to be happy. Salesians are always empathetic. Young people always need to feel the youthful and loving empathy of the Salesians. If your face is sad, the people are not close to you.  Like Don Bosco, I can tell you that I love you very much that I always pray for you. And I am still expecting a lot from this province. At the same time, I am bringing to you the mind of Don Bosco, with great conviction, with great inspiration, with great hope, these are the most important, now. Everything could be summarized in the last letter of convocation of General Chapter 26: The Salesian are called to awaken their heart with the fire, the passion of Da Mihi Animas, Cetera Tolle of Don Bosco.  So I am here to enlighten your mind and to set fire in your heart. Everything is not only to strengthen the charismatic identity, but at the same time, to heat our heart with the passion of Don Bosco, for the salvation of the youth.  I hope that during these days, in different talks, in different meetings, I will be able to communicate all these things.
    The visit happens in a very happy circumstance, the Octave of Easter, the most important days and season of the Year, it is the day of victory of the Lord. It is the moment we can say that we are free because even death has been overcome. That means the source of the whole Christian life and Salesain life, because our mission's main task is to bear witness to the resurrection of Jesus Christ, to bring the joy and the newness of life of resurrection, especially to the poor, the abandoned, the youth at risk. So, [I wish] the best for the Province during this best Season.
 AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use BoscoWiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xm   Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at at http://sdl.sdb.orgTo contact austraLasia by voice on Skype, the Skype name is austraLasia.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
24 Mongolia 1950_Mongolia's first Salesian ordination 399
» Mongolia 1808_RM's opening words in Vietnam - a good way to put the visit into context 268
22 Mongolia 1805_Welcome to Darkhan's newest Catholics! 411
21 Mongolia 1720_Mongolia's simple Christmas celebrations 'with little Jesus' 437
20 Mongolia 1655_UB Savio Children's Home promoted as model institution 482
19 Mongolia 1618_Mongolia's Darkhan now has an official Catholic Church - Don Bosco Darkhan 284
18 Mongolia 1607_The Empire Strikes Back - 800 years after Genghis Khan 311
17 Mongolia 1528_Easter Growth Part II: Mongolia has 25% increase in Catholics! 322
16 Mongolia 1426_As the bishop said....in snow and sizzling heat 424
15 Mongolia 1358_Mongolia - some good and some not so good news 444
14 Mongolia 1295_Rosary is all the go with the kids in Mongolia 458
13 Mongolia 1256_Getting the kids to church, Part II: Mongolia 387
12 Mongolia 1192_'Friendship is the best evangelisation': Darkhan showing its fruits. 401
11 Mongolia 1164_Mongolia - two more Congregations added to the fold: MC and FMA 364
10 Mongolia 1141_Darkhan: the latest star in Mary's crown 327
9 Mongolia 1054_Mongolia: Salesian work takes key step in response to social condition of the young 1398
8 Mongolia 1024_Don Bosco celebrated in Ulaan Baatar 413
7 Mongolia 0992_Mongolia: Snow leopard, an eagle, an angel and a yak for the 4 Evangelists! 362
6 Mongolia 0970_ Mongolia: Congregation's Mission focus for 2005 541
5 Mongolia 0904_The school year began in Mongolia 715
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 Next
/ 3