Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1348

'Are you happy?  Why are you here?'

CAU BONG: 7th December 2005 -- As a prelude to the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, arguably the most important Salesian Feast day other than that of the Founder himself, here is an interesting reflection from the prenovices at Cau Bong.  There are 35 of them, ranging from 21-32 years of age, no spring chickens therefore; they come from all over Vietnam - from the North, Central and South to the Mekong Delta.  They belong mostly to the poorer or lower middle class socio-economic range.  Education-wise the majority have College or University degrees and most include English amongst their subjects, some even speaking the language without too much difficulty.  The formation staff at Cau Bong number eight in all, one of whom is a Brother.  The occasion was a visit by the Regional Councillor, Fr Vaclav Klement, and his questions were just two: 'Are you happy here?' and 'Why do you think you are here?'  The responses below are presented as if they are the response of a single individual.  He is obviously a composite and complex individual! Amongst other things the responses give an insight into the vocational process as it is experienced in Vietnam.
    " I recognise God's will for myself through the intercession of the Virgin Mary.  I came here because I want to work for God and I realise God is calling me.  At Mass, on 21st May 2003, I received a 'letter from Mary', and she asked me: why do you look for happiness in human things? Why don't you look for it in God?  That letter made me think very much.  Now I can tell you - I will dare to do any work if God wants me to do it.  I would like to follow Jesus, through St. John Bosco, to bring God's love to others.  I was born in a Salesian parish, so I have had a chance of contact with Salesian priests and Brothers.  Their living and working for youth attracted me so much.  I recognise this way of life agrees with my ideals, being in close relationship with the young, serving and helping others, especially the poor.  I also like playing football very much!  Before coming here I was an aspirant.  I came to the Salesian House every Sunday, meeting some Salesian Fathers and Brothers."
    "I'm very happy in community because this is a good way to do something with others.  I have time to meet Jesus in the chapel.  I learn to play music, football, basketball and all the skills to attract young people.  I recognise that the superiors are gentle and generous in helping us prenovices.  I also see that members of the community love one another, so the environment is good for growing in personality.  At the same time there are unhappy moments because of conflicts on common life, or misunderstanding from a superior, or from difficulty in studying English.  Sometimes I'm really happy just because I've settled in Don Bosco's family.  I feel free, really free and comfortable before Jesus in the Eucharist, to whom I can tell everything in the depths of my heart, talk to him as a friend, father, good guide".

VOCABULARY
spring chicken: almost always a term used with a negative (no spring chicken), and means not a very young person.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
81 VIE 0070_'FIRST' EVANGELIZATION PRIORITY 482
80 VIE 0072_VIETNAM CREATES VATICAN STIR 426
79 VIE 0479_VIETNAM FREEDOM FIGHTER PRIEST ARRESTED YET AGAIN 442
78 VIE 0695_VIETNAM: GOVERNMENT INVITES SDBs INTO FORMER DMZ AREA - AND 'HOME' 408
77 VIE 0706_VIET SDB WEBSITE IN VIETNAMESE AND ENGLISH 338
76 VIE 0960_Vietnam: ordination of one Salesian priest and four deacons 501
75 VIE 0995_Vietnam-Aus: major relief funding effort underway 433
74 VIE 1045_Laos: A Salesian story now well worth the telling. 518
73 VIE 1173_Viet Migrant Worker Scheme Alive in Ho Chi Minh SDB Parish 250
72 VIE 1185_Vatican-Vietnam on rapid road to rapprochement? 396
71 VIE 1239_Vietnamese Past Pupils in Vietnam serving the youth of their country 255
70 VIE 1264_Modern Vietnamese youth and religious vocation: 20-20 foresight? 481
69 VIE 1272_Year of the Eucharist in Ho Chi Minh City: public officials are grateful! 352
68 VIE 1274_Vietnam: the youth ministry situation 584
67 VIE 1280_ASC Council meets in Vietnam 259
66 VIE 1307_Salesians from Vietnam visit Slovenia to honour memory of Province 'Patriarch' Fr Andrej Majcen 289
65 VIE 1330_Salesian Mission Sunday (DOMISAL) a big event in Vietnam 238
64 VIE 1342_Bùi Chu Diocese, North Vietnam, gains new Salesian Auxiliary 444
» VIE 'Are you happy? Why are you here?'1348_ 443
62 VIE 1357_The blind leading the blind: a past pupils story with a difference. 243
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
/ 5