NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
AWARD-WINNING THAI SALESIAN BAND PERFORMS IN ROME

Rome: 12th July -- The Salesian Sarasit College Band, from Banpong, Thailand, performed in the late afternoon today in heat that would certainly have reminded them of home.  Rome's month-and-a-half-long heatwave, breaking records kept for the past two hundred years, seemed no match for the record-breaking Thai group, just returned from their success in Milan where they won their section for performing brass bands, beating even the military!
The band is truly spectacular to hear and to watch - about 100 strong, from 'ankle-biters' (6 year olds or thereabouts) to older youths, and Salesians and volunteers to boot.  They do not simply play - they perform.  It is a band in constant motion, involving dance and disciplined choreography.  Xylophonists, timpanists and drummers exchange places effortlessly, not a beat lost.
Today's performance was for the benefit of the Rector Major and Council and for members of the Salesian community at the General House along with visiting Salesians from aroound the Salesian world of Universities and Tertiary Institutes.

If anyone should like one or more photos of the performance, 'austraLasia' will be happy to provide.  Just indicate to this address if you would like one (or if more, how many...up to ten).  jbfox@sdb.org

A final note:  I am having great difficulty with addresses from the subcontinent and from the Philippines - many are returned 'unknown'.  If you are aware of server 'migrations' (e.g. goatelecom is moving to sancharnet) or other changes and can advise me of address changes I would very much appreciate it.