NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1236

What did you had when you had no hope of getting to WYD?  Ask the Solomon Islands!

GIZO (East Solomon Islands): 31st August 2005 -- and you thought WYD was over and done with.  Just one more story.  Many far-flung nations made it to Cologne, and little ones at that.  But for some even littler places, it just wasn't possible.  Gizo Diocese, Solomon Islands, was one such.  Perhaps they'll make it to Sydney in '08;  they're neighbours of a sort!
    But if you can't get to Cologne - or Sydney - then you do it at home, and that's what Gizo youth did.  Gizo is Dominican territory, not Salesian, by the way.  And it's a real mix of cultures: you have many from Kiribati to the north (pronounced KIRIBAS; the -ti is 's' in that language), and just as many whose background is more associated with PNG to the west, plus the many different groups that make up the Solomons themselves, further east.  The youth began with a Kiribati welcome on 17th, followed by a Mass next morning and the blessing of the WYD Cross (theirs might be stronger than the original at the 'other' celebration in Cologne - that one broke while being man-handled on the Rhine).  Then with Cross, Statue of Mary and Bible, the youths all processed to the Maneaba which is the large ceremonial thatched hut in Kiribati custom - and there they saluted the Vatican, WYD and Solomon Islands flags.  Then followed days of catechesis on leadership, Eucharist, youth in SI society, plus many other important reflective themes, opportunity for Reconciliation, prayer, meditation, singing....Cologne without the cold weather!
    Gizo diocese is made up of many islands, so the events moved from island to island, from Gizo to Cannan and to Noro.  Then the final mass and feasting and entertainment around three huge WYD cakes prepared by the Catholic mothers of Noro.
    The youths reflections on this indicate they they were no less moved spiritually than their half a million other counterparts on the other side of the world: "I felt like a new plant growing in very rich soil", "I'd like to be the star that would lead other youth to Jesus in my community", "I know now that the Church looks to me to be the living salt and true light of my community".

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
99 PGS PNG-SI gives a lead for celebration for 24th January celebration1400_ 555
98 PGS 1320_Continuing the tradition: missionary writes 'Children of the Fire' in appreciation and for preservation of an ancient culture 426
97 PGS 1311_Media – to enhance the lives of people and to bring peace and harmony 448
96 PGS 1259_Pacific Island Plan - what will the future hold? 420
95 PGS 1247_RM's final day in PNG: holy individuals, yes, but holy communities, please! 433
94 PGS 1246_Open forum: RM and PNG aspirants 412
93 PGS 1244_Alive @ 25, and a rough trip by canoe and truck to Araimiri! 569
92 PGS 1242_Rector Major in PNG - to enlighten and set on fire 447
» PGS 1236_What did you had when you had no hope of getting to WYD? Ask the Solomon Islands! 392
90 PGS 1198_PNG/SI Retreat a refreshing and relaxing experience 550
89 PGS 1195_Since cloning is not allowed - aggressive campaign for Salesian Brother! 495
88 PGS 1188_Twinned parishes of Himonya-Tetere: forging relationships between Japan and Solomon Islands 495
87 PGS 1171_Blessed Bronislaw Markiewicz CSMA - a gift for Australia and PNG 462
86 PGS 1156_CSM: 10th anniversary of PNG's first ever Girl's Technical College 556
85 PGS 1144_Trauma training for churches 500
84 PGS 1120_PNG: Salesian Family member appointed as new Rector of Seminary 526
83 PGS 1082_Youth Stand up ! First Radio Bosco FM 89.9 Seminar 536
82 PGS 1058_Radio Bosco, Solomons: Building community, Empowering people 466
81 PGS 1007_Solomon Islands: imminent transfer of Salesian mission from GIA to FIN 518
80 PGS 0914_RM celebrates 25 years of Salesian presence in Samoa: 'I give thanks'. 436
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
/ 13