Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1505

First 'pillar' of PNG's dream basilica blessed on Annunciation Feast
(and look below after you have read this, for the announcement of the 'towards #1500' comp)

PORT MORESBY: 26th March 2006 -- His Excellency Archbishop Adolfo Tito Yllana, Apostolic Nuncio for PNG and Solomon Islands, blessed what could be called the first 'pillar' of the Salesians' dream basilica to Mary Help of Christians yesterday, 25th March, Feast of the Annunciation.  It is the new Chapel of the Eucharist, located on the first floor of the church now under construction.  The whole second floor will make up the Shrine or small basilica dedicated to our Blessed Mother, the Help of Christians.  And so, PNG will have Don Bosco's twin loves, Eucharist and Mary Help of Christians prominently in place at Boroko.
    The ceremony was an early morning ceremony.  Bishop Panfilo was also present.  After blessing the new chapel and the statue of MHC, the Archbishop presided at the Eucharist celebrating the Solemnity of the Annunciation.  Frs. Roger Miranda, Valeriano Barbero, John Bosco Jiminez and Fermin (Nuncio's secretary) concelebrated.  The Mass was animated by the brothers and aspirants, together with the girl boarders at the Salesian Sisters.  Several Religious Sisters groups were there - FMA, CSM, OLSH, FMI, OSJ, RVM, along with Don Bosco Technical Institute staff, the Bosconian boarders and several invited guests.  The Nuncio emphasised the importance of building the Living Church dedicated to Jesus in the Eucharist and devoted to Mary.
    Following the Eucharist, the Rector of DBTI/Delegation Community, Fr. Roger Miranda, expressed gratitude on behalf of the two communities - Savio Haus (sic) Formation Community and DBTI.  He thanked the Nuncio, Bishop Panfilo and all present, encouraging Bosconians in a special way to inculcate their love for Jesus in the Eucharist and their devotion to Mary, Help of Christians.  He offered particular thanks to Fr Valeriano Barbero, the Salesian pioneer in PNG, who has been the instrument of God in bringing this chapel to fruition, along with his dedicated group of workers headed by Mr. Vincent Oberes.
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
And on another matter!  The winner(s) of the 'towards #1500' competition?  This seems as good a time as any to announce that I have decided to award the DVD of St. Francis de Sales to the PNG/SI Delegation  - which probably means one to PNG and one to SI!  Why?  I received a total of five entries from three individuals in that Delegation, and an email with additional comment from the same Delegation from a fourth.  PNG has come alive over this past fortnight!  If the ultimate, perhaps not explicitly expressed aim of the competition was to encourage interaction, news, 'conversation', a sense of the Region, then PNG/SI best represented that aim.  But I believe the entries also met the criteria as laid down.  They gave me varied material - some directly 'Salesian', some not. One item sparked another from elsewhere (always a good sign); some items they wrote up themselves, some they gave me the (abundant) material for and asked me to write it up. Both were valid approaches.  All in all over the period involved, PNG/SI, THA, AUL (Aus and Fiji), FIS-Pak and INC offered directly usable material, and FIN, AFM and GBR  interacted with material.  Congrats to the winners.  I still have material to use, but 'keep the conversation going' please.  All items are welcome.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For RSS feeds, subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/rssala.xml

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
119 PGS 1699_Don Bosco Henderson (SI) graduates celebrate 432
118 PGS 1680_Tetere Rural Training Centre first graduation 509
117 PGS 1619_Salesian visitors to Solomon Islands abound in July 3388
116 PGS 1610_Consecrated the for the Mission 467
115 PGS 1606_A call to greater fidelity - Discussion days in PNG 598
114 PGS 1604_PNG-SI: We Journey together 477
113 PGS 1586_A nation prepares - Solomon Island's chance for World Youth Day 537
112 PGS 1584_PNG inaugurates Salesian Family Council 477
111 PGS 1558_PNG's 'Iron Lady' Cooperator leaves wonderful legacy 3981
110 PGS 1542_'Arigato, Tanaka san' for Rural Training Centre Tetere's first sack of rice 405
109 PGS 1537_PNG Pioneer Fr Val receives papal decoration 585
108 PGS 1535_Fruits of Easter joy at DBTI Boroko 532
107 PGS 1533_Solomon's capital smoulders as Chinese are attacked 587
106 PGS 1531_Solomon Islands - friendly people, says Salesian Bulletin editor 442
105 PGS 1521_YO Challenge at DBTI- Boroko: less for self, more for others, enough for all 460
» PGS 1505_First 'pillar' of PNG's dream basilica blessed on Annunciation Feast 454
103 PGS 1503_When PNG's first Cooperator unit says it is 'recruiting' you'd better believe it! 435
102 PGS 1493_British High Commission presents charity proceeds to Don Bosco Tech - Boroko 839
101 PGS 1487_PNG adds new dimension to Delegation life 530
100 PGS 1415_Media - powerful means of communicating values in PNG 389
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
/ 13