Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #1721

Christ the King Parish, Tetere, takes stock

HONIARA: 30th December 2006 -- North East Guadalcanal Christ the King Parish, with Fr Luciano Capelli as PP, is taking stock of 2006 on the basis of Matthew 25:31-46. They felt the need to note what the King might say if they didn't!  Accordingly, the balance sheet reads thus:
    'I was hungry...': It took 6 years to get the landowners to agree, a year to prepare the paddy fields, three months of hard work by students to sow, weed and control pests - and then the harvest! But the SI Minister for Agriculture, the Taiwanese Ambassador, and Salesian Delegate for PNG-SI have all pronounced the effort a success. 24 tonnes of rice is indeed a 'good meal' for many parishioners - and the water which spoiled the root crops provided water in abundance for rice.  'It's an ill wind...'.
    'I was thirsty...': Various projects are underway to provide potable water - iron roofs on church structures, deep wells, and simple wells provided with the aid of Italian volunteers.
    'I was sick...': The parish counts 19,000 people provided for by a part-time doctor resident in Honiara, a district health centre with resident nurses, and three health sub-stations. The roof is being laid on a 32 bed hospital built by Italian volunteers.
    'Let the children come....' (not Mt 25, but what the heck!): as a Salesian Parish, children and older youth find there the care and welcome of a religious and parish community. Sunday schools operate in all villages and some kindergartens prepare them for going to school. Families are prepared so they may see the importance of basic education.
    'I was naked...': (back on track!): the Tailoring school at the Rural Training Centre and courses at the centre and in the villages offered a needed change of clothes where extra clothing is but a dream.
    'I was in prison...': Tetere prison, built to take an overflow and to help 'decongest' Honiara prison facilities, has also received the pastoral care of the parish community.
    'I was lonely...': Many more mountain villages this year saw Christmas lights because of new, young and energetic missionaries. They were joined by young volunteers from Japan. It takes several hours walking through thick bush and across rivers but they were not left alone. They feel now that they too belong to a community.
    The installation of the Rector and the establishment of a canonical community marked a milestone in the growth of the missionary presence in the Solomons. Thanks be to God's grace, it grows in the sight of God and human beings.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com   Use BoscoWiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xm A separate service entirely is called F/OSSERVATORE to help us keep abreast of trends in the digital world.  To contact austraLasia by voice on Skype, the Skype name is austraLasia.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
139 PGS 1910_ITM's new East Timor members welcomed, and more to come 564
138 PGS 1902_PNG School embarks on fundraising drive with 'Friends of Don Bosco' 523
137 PGS 1898_'Stay with me, son'!: PNG-SI Delegation Day 514
136 PGS 1886_A sign of God’s love to the young 516
135 PGS 1884_DB Kumgi celebrates Solemnity of Sacred Heart by donating blood 2438
134 PGS 1865_Solomon Island Salesian Rector appointed Bishop of Gizo 589
133 PGS 1863_An interesting kind of monthly recollection 563
132 PGS 1861_Pacific Media adopt Honiara Action Plan 587
131 PGS 1858_Samoa - Australia-Pacific's largest community, and C. 100 in action 566
130 PGS 1821_"Knocked down, but never killed...": WYD Cross repeats ancient story in battered Gizo 580
129 PGS 1819_Prompt response by Don Bosco hailed in Solomon Island's national Daily 606
128 PGS 1810_World Youth Day Cross and Icon to arrive in Solomon Islands en route to Australia 539
127 PGS 1806_Touching Easter experience - DB Henderson ship first to bring succour to Simbo Island 573
126 PGS 1802_Tsunami did strike part of Alotau island, says bishop 570
125 PGS 1800_Solomon Islands situation - update from local sources 523
124 PGS 1751_In the land of the unexpected...... 617
123 PGS 1730_Melanesian Institute attracts 8 SF members to annual 'Melanesian culture' course 562
» PGS 1721_Christ the King Parish, Tetere, takes stock 520
121 PGS 1713_Family News PNG - Advent preparation 525
120 PGS 1703_PNG past pupils 'partners in nation-building' 1121
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Next
/ 13