?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

austraLasia #2374

Teaching computers to deaf and dumb in Solomon Islands
(Leo Duffy, Don Bosco Volunteer, GBR)

HONIARA: 9th March 2009 -- "Angela and I are volunteer teachers of English and Computers from the UK who have been privileged to assist the Salesians of Don Bosco. Angela achieved a life-long dream when she retired, by going to work in underdeveloped countries, teaching English to underprivileged children.  Both of us had been involved with Rotary International for many years, and Angela had been President in her own circle, and knew what was needed. Her first assignment was in Ethiopia on the war-torn border with Eritrea. She loved working with children so much that she volunteered to go again, this time to Cambodia, again a country that had suffered terribly with thousands of orphaned children.
    This is where I joined Angela as a computer teacher, and since then we have worked in East Timor, the Philippines, Ghana, El Salvador. I had long since realised that children need the chance for an education, and Deaf and Dumb children are no exception to this.  The Don Bosco Technical Training Centre this weekend opened its doors to 27 Deaf and Dumb students and their teachers from Aruligo, where Bro. George van de Zant SM has commenced an excellent training operation for these boys and girls.
    After meeting Bro. George and his students at the Marist Centre, I was impressed by their signing abilities, and then thought about how to get them to communicate with non-deaf people.  After a brief conversation with Fr Ambrose Pereira SDB, our Rector, the idea quickly grew that we could offer these boys and girls computer studies at our Centre, which would allow them to communicate with the outside world.
    We have all been amazed at how quickly they have mastered computer skills.  I see no reason why, long term, they could not be usefully employed in this computer-related age, as they are in my own country.  Their artistic skills are astonishing; after but a few hours of lessons they were far ahead of many normal students at this stage.
    This program will need financing for the longer term for it to succeed, but the long-term benefits to society will outweigh any costs incurred now.
    I would like to thank Sr Anna Maria Gervasoni FMA, Fr Ambrose Pereira SDB, the Salesians and all staff and students who gave up their weekend to help in this project. Giving is far more rewarding than receiving".

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use Bosconet-wiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2009 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at http://sdl.sdb.org

Title: australasia 2374
Subject and key words: EAO Provinces PNG/SI  Volunteers
Date (year): 2009
ID: 2000-2099|2374

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
» PGS 2374_Teaching computers to deaf and dumb in Solomon Islands 1830
158 PGS 2356_Prayers requested for seriously injured Salesian 617
157 PGS 2353_PNG-SI Rectors meeting celebrates Salesian Family and 150th 517
156 PGS 2350_First Solomon Islander Salesian professed in PNG 618
155 PGS 2268_WYD participants organize Youth Rally 443
154 PGS 2191_400 head to Australia from Solomon Islands 582
153 PGS 2176_Gulf province - Ariamiri - re-opens 'miracle' school 548
152 PGS 2173_News from Tetere SI 506
151 PGS 2152_Four years in the building, Port Moresby Shrine to MHC now on the eve of consecration 575
150 PGS 2063_Rectors meet in Port Moresby under leadership of new Delegate 535
149 PGS 2060_Mary a powerful symbol of dignity 470
148 PGS 2048_PNG-SI: Patient work paying off - professions and novices 536
147 PGS 1999_Don Bosco Tetere Rural Training Centre Graduation supports World Youth Day 2008 494
146 PGS 1986_Voice Katolika's "valuable insights into challenges and opportunities for Church media" 514
145 PGS 1979_DBTI - SI: Salesian Sisters help conduct retreats 522
144 PGS 1970_Episcopal ordination of Bishop Capelli: 'Lift up your hearts...and all will be well' 486
143 PGS 1945_Blessing of the Grotto of Mary Help of Christians 508
142 PGS 1934_Michaelites welcomed to austraLasia list 600
141 PGS 1932_“Trust in Mary Help of Christians and you will see what miracles are!” 538
140 PGS 1928_"I, Thomas...": PNG insight into vocation promotion 527
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next
/ 13