Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3102

With God, all things are possible

HENDERSON: 25 July 2012 -- Nearly 60 boys spent a very reflective weekend at Don Bosco Technical Institute, Henderson on 20th and 21st July, 2012 making their Retreat, entitled: ‘With God all things are possible.’

The Retreat, an annual feature for each class, is a welcome extracurricular activity, attended by both staff and students.  “I have heard from my colleagues that the retreat is a special occasion that touches our hearts and enables us ‘make positive decisions’ that are for the good of each of us”, said Moses Parkinson, Junior Electrical student.  “The retreat is a time when we surrender our wrongs and look forward to something better,” said Anthony Maena, Junior Carpentry student.  “It was the first time that I have come across a programme that has really encouraged me to change my bad attitude and build up a relationship close to God,” said Jacob Lihu, Junior Electrical student.

Fr Srimal Priyanga sdb, Spiritual Moderator, highlighted temptations that draw the youngsters away from their original goal.  Reflecting on them and sharing their past experiences has helped them process their negative experiences and with mutual help and support.  He organized the retreat with the help of the class advisors.  A number of SRC members animated the singing and the liturgy, while some of the women cooked the food for the programme. 

At the Eucharistic celebration, Fr. Ambrose Pereira encouraged the students to reflect on their life and make, then keep good resolutions for their future that will enable them raise the profile of their companions and families.  He presented to them the example of Pita To Rot, the young Melanesian catechist martyred for the faith during World War II. He was committed to building up his people through the sacraments, especially the sacrament of the Eucharist and Marriage.  He encouraged all to be good examples to others.

It was wonderful to note that the students spent this time in reflection, sharing and prayer.  “I have had the courage to share my experiences and this will change my attitude too”, said Moses Parkinson.

The film on Mother Teresa, screened after supper, for reflection and inspiration showed clearly that when one does good there are many others who begin to put a stop to evil.  Mother Teresa kep constantly in touch with God to deal with all opposition.