Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 756

SOLOMON ISLANDS: DON BOSCO'S FIRST GRADUATES

HONIARA: 22nd November '03 -   For Salesian South and West Pacific nations, amongst the newest stars in the Salesian galaxy, it is 'first graduation' time.  Last Thursday night, November 19th, Don Bosco Henderson held a "touching, extraordinary and meaningful" graduation (SI national "Solomon Star" feature article). Six young people graduated from a three year course and eighteen from a one year course. They all passed the government test for Employment at the basic and intermediate level. After three year's employment they will qualify for the professional certificate. It does not happen very often that an entire batch of applicants passes the employment test 'bene probatus' (not an SI term obviously!). All graduates have been school push-outs. Patrick Stenson, the recipient of the achievement award verbalized the feelings of all graduates: "Before coming to Don Bosco my life had no goals, I felt lost and hopeless and I did not know what to do with my life. Now I feel proud of my education and achievements and I have a dream to fulfill in my life: Don Bosco's dreams are expressed in our motto: "Born for greater things".
The  Permanent Secretary of education Dr. Dereck Sikua, the guest of honor, promised the country on air to build four more centers like Don Bosco in the country because this is what the country needs most: the training of skilled workers at the basic and intermediate level.  Archbishop Adrian Smith recalled the history of his calling the Salesians and expressed great satisfaction about the presence of Don Bosco in Henderson and Tetere. He challenged the students and Don Bosco to 'dream like Don Bosco would' (That was in fact the theme of the celebration)
A good number of young people expressed their gratitude to Don Bosco by embracing the school Rector after receiving their diploma from the Permanent Secretary of Education. This is not a typical Melanesian response but certainly spontaneous and heartfelt.
All signs seem to indicate, rather powerfully, that this is the 'Kairos' of the Salesian presence in Solomon Islands. We consider ourselves blessed to be the community chosen to witness these events of grace and we are glad to proclaim this message to the whole Salesian world.
Luciano Capelli SDB