Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

Youth attend a 'True Love Waits…..' seminar
-         by Fr Ambrose Pereira sdb

HONIARA: 23rd July -- Amidst the background of the sexual revolution of the 60s and the free lifestyle portrayed in the media today – our young in Solomon Islands, confused and insecure are caught up in a lifestyle that is at times traumatic and one which does not enhance them as persons.  “They are aware that the traditional systems are breaking down” stated Hilda Monica Anihoniara, youth coordinator and organizer of the programme.  At the last World Population Day, held on 11th July, 2003, it was wonderful to hear youngsters sharing ideas and experiences and one young lady boldly committing herself to a life chastity until marriage. 

17 youngsters spent the last weekend – reflecting on a similar theme at the end of which six youngsters publicly proclaimed that they will live chaste lives until they commit themselves to their spouse in the Sacrament of Marriage. 

“ I realize that I am a gift to be given only to the one I commit myself to in marriage.  I wish to remain sexually pure sex that the gift of myself to my wife is unscarred” stated Vincent Isa, while Steve Erehiro said “I would not be able to handle the physical, emotional, psychological and financial burden that comes along with the responsibility of bringing up a child outside marriage”. 

The three-day programme entitled True Love Waits… was held at Don Bosco House of Prayer, Kola Ridge, Honiara from 18th to 20th July, 2003.  Two from the St. Vincent de Paul group joined the youngsters from the Holy Cross Emanuel Youth group.  The participants were fully involved, reflective and prayerful right throughout the programme.  The different sessions, presentations, discussions, film clips and prayerful moments enabled them reflect on the value and worth of themselves as Persons. 

Dr. Steve Aumanau, former Minister of Health conducted a very enlightening and informative session.  He dealt with the need to care for ourselves and highlighted smoking, alcohol and other related addictions that destroy the human person.  In very simple terms and with the help of graphics, he gave the participants an understanding into the wonder of the human body and its sexual aspects.  He also touched on abortion - the destruction of human life.  Questions were answered and doubts clarified.   The participants were reminded that parents are the best ones to assist them in times of falls and failure.

Maria and John Maefaididia, William and Irene from the Marriage Encounter and Dave and Lynette Russel were three couples who joyfully shared their personal testimony of life and love.  The youngsters were also happy to receive sincere answers to the question of dealing with relationships.  Their lives of joy and happiness lived out for several years have given the youngsters something to imitate.  While they stressed communication, forgiveness, respect and responsibility as main elements in a marriage, they also highlighted the need to remain sexually pure till one has the blessing of God and a total commitment in the Sacrament of Marriage.

Georgiana Sogotee spoke of the need for counseling as life has its ups and downs.  She dealt with AIDS and HIV – something that only if we are fully aware off can we avoid.  She also touched upon the cultural aspects of custom marriage.

Fr Ambrose Pereira sdb, - who dealt with relationships and the corollaries of love, coordinated the programme together with the Salesians of Don Bosco.  He stressed the fact that the church, in a special way the present Holy Father Pope John Paul II is interested that the young understand and are committed to Catholic ideals, principles and values.  Large gatherings as the World Youth day are occasions to celebrate the joy and the beauty of life.  They are also occasions to celebrate and witness to our Catholic faith.

“This programme is the first youth gathering, preparing ourselves for the forthcoming World Youth Day celebration in Cologne in 2005”, stated Hilda Anihoniara.  “It has enabled the young better understand themselves and their relationships and give themselves the possibility of proper choices that will bring them joy and happiness’, she continued.

Archbishop Adrian Smith celebrated the concluding Eucharist at which the six youngsters committed their lives to being sexually pure till they commit themselves to their spouse in the Sacrament of Marriage. Fr. Nelson Jopia sdb, animator of the group celebrated the opening Eucharist. 

A similar programme is being planned for the youth of Christ the King parish, Tetere area on 1st, 2nd and 3rd July, 2003. 

The programe has been partly funded by OXFAM Australia, Don Bosco and many other generous benefactors.

Reflections:
“ I have realized the meaning of my life as a person” – Patricia Saman

“The session on abortion has opened my eyes to the destruction of life of an innocent child” – Margareth Ufana

“The programme has given me an outlook for my future” – Godfrey Waxley Ronny.

“It has been week end that has opened me to a number of challenges” – Doreen Mazana

Photographs:
The following photographs have been published in the Solomon Star, 23rd July, 2003 and can be sent if requested:
1.        Dr. Steve Aumanu speaks to the youngsters on the need to care for our human body and the wonder of our  sexual selves.
2.        The Entire group of participants and animators at the end of the seminar.
3.        Fr. Nelson animates the youngsters at the Eucharistic celebration
4.        Georgiana Sogotee animates the group.
5.        Married couples share their experiences.
6.        Youngsters sporting t-shirts with the World Youth Day 2005 logo,   Youth in song....

Ambrose Pereira sdb
Catholic Communications Solomons, P.O.Box 647, Honiara, Solomon Islands
Tel: 677-36222/22125 Fax: 677-36333
E-mail: ambrose@donbosco.org.sb
Web page: http://www.catholicnet.com/solomon
http://www.catholicnet.com/solomon/katolika-main.htm