PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
You will note a different address - in fact the jbfox@connect.com.fj will also contact me just as easily, but I am presently elsewhere than in Fiji.  This should not affect the news!

A LABOR OF (PASTORAL)LOVE
The story of Fr. Jack Trisolini sdb - Korea.

SEOUL: 11th July -- No, he is not dead.  It is a good thing to speak well of our confreres while they are still alive!  And the story of Jack Trisolini is one well worth telling.  'austraLasia' occasionally likes to run such stories - and in the absence of any immediate news coming my way at the moment (hint, hint), it seems time to tell this story.

As Cardinal Kim once told his full time workers, "Fr. Jack started without a pencil or a piece of paper and now (he has) the Labor Pastoral Center and Counseling Services for local and foreign workers!"  Some 13 years ago Fr. Jack Trisolini of the Korean Province began full time work with the Labor Pastoral Commission of the Archdiocese of Seoul.  In fact he had begun that work in 1971 but in the meantime was also carrying out Salesian responsibilities amongst which the Director of the House of Formation at Dae Rim Dong, Seoul (1986-90).  His claim that at that point they did not know what to do with him doesn't quite ring true - these days many an immigrant worker owes his or her young (or not so young) life to the patient labour of pastoral love that is Fr. Jack's.
By far the largest group of migrant workers in Korea come from nearby China, mostly ethnic Koreans who come from Manchuria.  Fr. Francis Kim, a Korean Salesian, volunteered help for this group and works amongst them, helping them to organize themselves.  The approach of the Commission now headed up by Fr. Jack is to build migrant communities into places where people can mingle, and experience friendship and support, speak their own language and enjoy basic human comfort and interaction - shades of the 'Oratory' criterion there.  But there's more, much more.  The Labor Counselling Service, another arm of this Salesian-directed enterprise, goes into bat for young workers who are being dealt with by unscrupulous employers.  They provide translators, advocacy services, even free clinics and hospital beds for the sick.  It is total care.
There are not only Chinese, but Vietnamese in large numbers (assistance is being rendered there too with some help from Salesians with adequate background), Russians and others.  A heart-rending story that Fr. Jack tells is that of Alex, a 44 year old Russian trying to support a family back in Siberia.  Involved in a hit-and-run, he lost a leg - and all chances of providing family support until referred to the LPC's services.  They helped him obtain a prosthesis and promise of employment.  He is now 'back on his feet' so to speak.
If you wish to find out more about the interesting and at times gut-wrenching work carried out under the aegis of this very active Salesian, or you just wish to say thanks, then contact him at jacktkorea@yahoo.com

I have been working full time with the Labor Pastoral Commission of the Archdiocese of Seoul for the past 13 years. In fact, Cardinal Kim nominated me to the job part time in 1971. After 6 years as Director of the House of Formation in Dae Rim Dong, Seoul (1986-90), they didn't know what to do with me and so since March 1990 I've been working full time with the Archdiocese. As Cardinal Kim once told our full time workers, "Fr. Jack started without a pencil or a piece of paper and now you have the Labor Pastoral Center and Counseling Services for local and foreign workers!" The good Cardinal said that about 10 years ago. In the meantime the Archdiocese trusted me to build an 8 story new Labor Pastoral Center. The building is spanking new and serves hundreds of workers every week.