Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3051

Korean SDB missionary to PNG ordained in Seoul

SEOUL --  “I give thanks to my parents who have prayed for me and accompanied me towards my ordination, also to the all confreres in Korea who have dedicated so much effort in preparation for today’s celebration of my priestly ordination. I pledge, as a son of Don Bosco, to live the missionary life and never be ashamed.” Fr Stephen Jihoon Yoo , newly ordained, said as part of his vocational testimony and commitment.

Sat, April 14th at 2:00 pm, saw the Mass of Ordination celebrated on the 7th floor of the provincial house in Seoul. The Auxiliary Bishop of Seoul Archdiocese, Bishop Basil Jo, was the ordaining prelate. Some 500 people attended, among them the newly ordained’s parents and members of various Salesian Family groups, youngsters, lay people from his original parish, located in the northern suburbs of Seoul City, and many friends. Two special guests were also present -  from the northern Philippines Province, Fr Vitaliano Dimaranan,  provincial representative from FIN to which the new ordained belongs, and Fr Rafael Galve, the Superior of the PNG Delegation where Fr Stephen will realise his apostolic life as a missionary.

This year there have been two priestly ordination events in KOR province, the first on 24 January for 4 new priests and 5 deacons and today for this newpriest. It is a very joyful sign of God giving His grace to the Salesian Family in Korea to experience a flourishing vocational growth amongst the new generation. 

The KOR Provincial, Fr Stephen Nam, thanked the newly ordained’s parents, not only for dedicating their son to Don Bosco’s mission but especially for allowing him to be a missionary 'ad gentes' far from Korea. The Provincial prayed that "this beautiful celebration may lead 
many generous young people seeking God’s call in their heart". 

Fr Yoo completed his theological studies at Paranaque, Manila, over the past three years, during which he asked to be a missionary to PNG. For that reason he transferred formally to the North Philippines Province last year when he made his Final Profession. He will remain in Korea until the end of June for the first Mass in various houses of the Salesian Family Group and some priestly experience activities. Then will go to directly to VunaBosco in PNG where he has already been appointed. 

Today’s ordination represents one aspect of collaboration within the East Asia-Oceania Region in sharing formation processes as well human resources. This is happening at Paranaque (FIN) and at Clifton Hill (AUL) in a particular way, but also through missionary exchange within the Region. It is an encouragement to more active cooperation and promotion of mutual sharing within the Region.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
132 KOR 3184_KOR Province: largest group of ordinations ever 533
131 KOR 3181_Perpetual Professions and Priestly and Deaconate Ordinations 551
130 KOR 3179_Injunction prevents KBS from airing Tonj Don Bosco Brass Band Tour 561
129 KOR 3177_Korea-Japan Quinquennium Meeting 490
128 KOR 3163_SYM (KOR) Annual Social Engagement Campaign. 561
127 KOR 3161_KOR Brothers meet over a 'bowl' 466
126 KOR 3157_Pacific-centred Salesian World Map Mercator Projection 521
125 KOR 3129_Korea takes up John Lee for national branding 371
124 KOR 3124_Seminar for Rectors, Provincial Councillors, as Extraordinary Visitation gets underway in KOR 467
123 KOR 3099_Archbishop Savio Hon with Salesian Family, KOR 369
122 KOR 3091_The '200' pilgrimage that combines martyrdom and Salesian renewal 473
121 KOR 3081_Figure Queen supports South Sudan Mission 447
120 KOR 3069_New Musical Tells Story of the Late Fr John Lee 433
119 KOR 3064_To all those who loved Salesian Father John Tae-Seok Lee, (1962~2010) 469
» KOR 3051_Korean SDB missionary to PNG ordained in Seoul 520
117 KOR 3026_KOR Volunteers depart on Feast of Sts Versiglia and Caravario 395
116 KOR 3022_Ecce homo! Ecce Don Bosco! 1st Korea Salesian Youth Day 421
115 KOR 3003_4 new priests and 5 deacons ordained in Korea Province 470
114 KOR 2990_"I believe in young people because..... 529
113 KOR 2980_Happy New Year! Korea begins Strenna 2012 'on the way to 2015' 506
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
/ 8