?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3001

Death of Fr Cimatti's successor and similarly 'patriarch' of
 Salesian Japan: Fr Clodoveo Tassinari
BEPPU: 27 January 2012 -- News came in today of the death of Fr Clodoveo Tassinari sdb, in Beppu, Japan, where he simply wore out. As the Provincial, Fr Cipriani put it, "it was like a candle blowing out that had given all of its warmth and light until moments ago". He had been taken to hospital in Beppu on 23rd of the month and doctors found a man who was completely worn out, had given of his all until his last breath. He would have celebrated his 100th birthday on 3 March this year.  With his death, Japan has lost a living pioneer, right hand man for the Ven Vincent Cimatti for many years, a novice master who had formed many a young Japanese Salesian, founder of an orphanage in Tokyo that became a model for such institutions. He is regarded as a 'patriarch' of Salesian Japan.

One way to discover much about Fr Tassinari is to follow the many exchanges of correspondence to/from and about him,in the Cimatti collection. For example, not very long after they had both arrived in Japan in 1930, we find a note written on a holy picture of the Good Shepherd, by Fr Cimatti: 

20 aprile 1930

Mio Clodoveo, grazie.
Dio benedica i tuoi propositi e ti conceda di acquistare un cuore generoso, umile, paziente come il suo.
Tuo
Don Cimatti
(in translation: Thank you my dear Clodoveo, May God bless your resolutions and grant that you may acquire a generous, humble, patient heart like His.  Yours, Fr Cimatti).

This was certainly granted.  By 1940, just ten years later, we find another letter, this time about a young Fr Tassinari, already appointed novice diretor. The letter is addressed to the Spiritual Director of the Congregation, don Tirone:

Miyazaki, 15 febbraio 1940

Rev.mo Sig. Don Tirone,

Ricevo oggi la nomina a Maestro dei Novizi del nostro Don Tassinari - scelta ottima, che però mi mette in grave condizione per il Seminario. Ad ogni modo il bene della nostra cara Congregazione farà sopportare questo periodo di difficoltà con gioia pensando al bene futuro....
(
In translation: ... Today I received the appointment of our Fr  Tassinari as Director of Novices - an excellent choice, but it puts me in serious difficulties for the Seminary. At any rate the good of our beloved Congregation will be able to put up with this difficult period happily, thinking of the future benefit...).

Turin has a copy (Valdocco) of the letter written by Fr Cimatti to Fr Tassinari about another appointment. We have the transcript in SDL at the site indicated above. Here is its substance in English translation:

Having prayer at length, thought about it and taken advice, it seems to me to be truly appropriate and for the glory of God and to the good to entrust you with the leadership of our studentate in Tokyo (theology, philosophy students, aspirants and relative staff) to substitute our beloved D. Bovio.
I am aware from what you have told me of your state of mind and heart in this regard – I am giving you a cross, but one that God's will (as it seems to both you and me) will help you to carry with fruit and merit: so, 'niente ti turbi' (don't worry).
The confreres and students are with you – and D. Cim. will help you in omnibus (everything).
Don't worry about the material side: the Lord (so I believe and so I see) will help you: just you worry about souls....

By 1949 we find Fr Cimatti writing to Fr Ricaldone about possible appointment of someone to replace him in leading the mission in Japan.  Of Fr Tassinari he had the following to say: 

Don Tassinari: currently with the Superiors [he was in Italy at the time] and they can weigh up his merits... he was novice master, handles the Japanese very well - set up a model orphanage in Tokyo.

And it was Fr Tassinari whom the Superiors in Turin chose as successor to Fr Cimatti. 

During the war years and immediately following, Fr Tassinari was in Tokyo.  he took great interest in the Tokyo shoeshine kids (foriji) and set up the Salesio Boys Town for them, a work that was consolidated in the immediate aftermath of the war, with the help of city authorities as well.

In 1971 the Japanese Government recognised the value of Tassinari's contribution to Japan. The Japanese Ambassador in Italy (Rome), where he was at the time, gave him the medal awarded by Emperor Hirohito "in recognition of his great merits" in the field of social work and youth welfare in particular. The Ambassador for his part declared that he was happy to have been able to give this medal "to an Italian priest but Japanese by adoption and to whom my country is very grateful"

Much more will be said about this great man and wonderful example of a missionary in our Region in the coming days, and at his being laid to rest.  These are just little points I have been able to glean from our resources online in SDL and elsewhere.  Let's pray for the repose of his soul and for the Japanese Province at this moment of loss.