Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1641

Don Bosco Volunteer Group, Japan, finishes Solomons Assignment

TOKYO: 1st September 2006 --  19 Don Bosco Volunteer Group (DBVG) members, 10 boys, 7 girls and 2 Salesians, returned to Japan today after spending three weeks in the Solomon Islands.  They assisted with the construction of a refectory at the Don Bosco Rural Training Centre, Tetere, together with the students and people.  The evenings were spent interacting with youngsters who frequented the parish.  They visited Sali, Swagi, Komporo and Tururana, all villages in the parish, and spent time in song and dance, and sharing the simple 'kastom' food of the people.  Cultural presentations and exchanges were held at Don Bosco Henderson and Nouva Community school Tetere.
    DBVG is based in Tokyo, Japan.  While focusing on education for the young people of Japan, the experience of life in other countries has been their priority.  They have been sending young people to different countries to assist in projects in Papua New Guinea, East Timor and Solomon Islands since 1997.  They were happy to be back in the Solomons after a gap of several years.
    "The people are very relaxed, kind-hearted, and I look forward to returning", said Fr Michael Urata sdb who was leading the group.  Chihiro Okawa, a student of political science, had visited the Solomon Islands earlier and was pleased to see the development that has taken place.  The spirit of sharing was much appreciated by Br Mitsumata Masataka sdb, and Sumiyo Tsukji, student of English Literature put it this way: "I take with me the simplicity of the people".
    The group spent two weeks in the Solomon Islands.

Click here to comment on this item.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com  Try out BoscoWiki to be interactive.  For RSS feeds, subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xm A separate service entirely is called F/OSSERVATORE to help us keep abreast of trends in the digital world.