Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 934

RM spends time with young adults: 'You will not die, you will live'

TOKYO: 31st October '04 -- The day had begun at Ikuei Polytech and moved to Shimougousa Parish Church (just around the corner), where young people from the Parish, SDB and CSM aspirants too, were gathered for the 9.30 am Mass.  The RM celebrated Jesus the Giver of life.
    Beginning with an incident in the life of John Cagliero, when he was sick and in danger of death, the Rector Major told how Don Bosco visited him and said 'He will not die.  He will live'.  And Cagliero went on to be the first great missionary, Salesian Bishop and Cardinal. 'Hopefully all the kids of the world can find an educator who can say the same; you will not die,  You will live - forever.'  He continued by drawing on the story of Zaccheus to help point out how God is about life, He does not despise any creature,  He wants them to live.  God is a lover, of life and people.  When the Salesians arrived 77 years ago in Japan it was to be as signs of God's love and to help young people discover that life is a gift.
    Following the Mass (which the RM celebrated in Japanese, with the help of a Romaji version) 100 young people and young adults gathered in the Hall for an exchange with Fr Chávez.  The RM spoke in English and Fr John Sakai, a young Japanese Salesian priest whose English is almost as good as his mother-tongue, thanks especially to time spent in the Philippines during formation, translated back and forth in Japanese,
    Q. from the floor: what is holiness of daily life - how can we live it in practice?
    A. In the 2004 Strenna I outline 4 steps: 1, invite all young people to a high standard of life, happiness, holiness. 2, Make it possible through some concrete examples of maturity and holiness (Savio, Devereaux, Vicuña, Adamo, Rivas....). 3, Present ourselves (Salesians, adults) as competent guides to youth holiness. 4. Create a climate where young people can live out all their possibilities in an environment full of values.
    Q. What were some challenges in your own vocational path?
    A.  There were two important and challenging steps in my Salesian formation - Final profession and ordination. To place my life entirely in God's hands and follow Christ closely for life!  When I was ordained priest I was serene.  I have never doubted my vocation, only my fitness for it, my capabilities.  But I trust God in all and he has been faithful to me.
    Q. (from 25 year old young Catechist woman): In Japan it is difficult to teach religion to non-Christian students.  Can you enlighten me?
    A. We can disappoint the parents of our students...after all they are sending their children to us in the hope of learning some of these values, to know about Jesus Christ.  My pastoral way is to keep proposing Jesus Christ for everyone.  It is possible.
    Q. (from young SDB in temp. vows): Tell us something for the young who wish to become a priest or religious
    A. Salesian vocation is a most wonderful gift.  I can talk about my own vocation. I have found a meaning to life.  I find the energy there to serve the Salesians worldwide, to visit them and to say to the young 'God loves you very much'.  The most important thing is to help young people discover their dream in life and how to make it come true.  You know how a young man can spend time bodybuilding to make those muscles attractive to the girls!  But it's not in the muscles, the real attraction - it's in the heart!  If you have life's energy you are full of fire.  God has a dream for each.  It's the task of each to discover what that is.
'austraLasia' is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia-Pacific.  It functions also as an agency for ANS, based in Rome.  Try also www.bosconet.aust.com  What about the colera that struck Turin in 1854?.  For further comment cf. Lexisdb

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
37 GIA 0939_RM's final hours in Japan: 'The best Church history written by missionaries!' 456
36 GIA 0937_The Rector Major amongst the Caritas Sisters of Miyazaki - and at Miyazaki 456
35 GIA 0936_The First Rector Major to visit Miyazaki! 326
» GIA 0934_RM spends time with young adults: 'You will not die, you will live' 269
33 GIA 0933_Salesian Polytechnic Ikuei: RM addresses school staff on education in a fast-changing world 310
32 GIA 0932_Salesian Family Day for RM in Japan 471
31 GIA 0930_RM spending the day with Salesian Sisters 483
30 GIA 0929_Don Rua: 'learned Don Bosco off by heart'. 361
29 GIA 0901_ Japan-Brasil migration flow reversed, and a Salesian's challenge 242
28 GIA 0899_Japan Chapter concludes: guidelines for redimensioning 430
27 GIA 0897_Caritas Sisters conclude General Chapter: New Mother General and Council 232
26 GIA 0896_Exciting, Satisfying - and Exhausting: Tokyo Salesio Gakuen 499
25 GIA 0894_'What do you think of the Da Vinci Code?': a day in the life of a Regional Superior 238
24 GIA 0878_Miyazaki: Cimatti heritage alive and well 517
23 GIA 0861_Japan Provincial Chapter part one: reflections at the foot of the mountain! 388
22 GIA 0849_Japan: Cimatti Opera performance for 125th birthday 414
21 GIA 0847_Ikuei Overseas Volunteers: Japan plays its part in East Timor's crucial infrastructures 491
20 GIA 0843_Ikuei Salesian Polytechnic to compete in Greece Olympic Preview 392
19 GIA 0828_Japanese biblicist and Salesian priest returns to the House of the Father 384
18 GIA 0812_JAPANESE STUDENTS SEE THEIR 'SALESIAN ROOTS' 481
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
/ 8