Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1226

Two Japanese Salesians recognised by respective governments

TOKYO: 7 August 2005 -- Fr John Bosco Kurahashi Terunobu SDB, 68 years of age and 25 years a missionary in Bolivia, has been awarded Bolivia's highest recognition, the Libertador Simon Bolivar award.  The ceremony took place in Tokyo during Fr Kurahashi's visit to Tokyo and was presided over by the Bolivian Ambassador to Japan, Doctor Joaquin A Dabdoub A., himself a Salesian past pupil and close friend of Fr Kurahashi's.
    The event, which took place on 1st August, gained prominence not only in the Tokyo Catholic newspaper, Katorikku Shinbun, but also in the photo gallery of the Japan Times this morning 7th August.
    The citation for Fr Kurahashi's award recognises his courageous efforts and practical projects in the field of education, social welfare, human rights and the like. Present for the award ceremony, other than a circle of confreres from Japan province, were members of the Foundation headed by the Japanese Catholic author Son O Ayako.  The Ambassador made mention of the support this Foundation has offered Fr Kurahashi: "Without you [he] would not have been able to carry out his immense work.  In the name of the Bolivian Government and my own name personally, I thank you with all my heart".  Fr Kurhashi's words of thanks said simply : "I thank the Lord every day for giving me the grace to live for the young".
    Meanwhile, further south in Oita province, another Salesian, Fr Jan Bury, was being recognised for his chaplaincy work in the state prison.  Fr Bury has carried out this precious and at times delicate ministry to 1380 prisoners on behalf of the Diocese of Oita.  He was amongst a group of seven recognised and thanked for their rehabilitation work.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For RSS feeds, subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/rssala.xml.  If you subscribe, email this information and your name will come off the regular email list.  RSS eliminates problems such as multiple mailings, viruses, email bloat.  Think about it!

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
57 GIA 1344_Tokyo Salesio Gakuen (Social work institution) Korea visit 308
56 GIA 1292_Yokohama: 9 students struck by motorist, two died from injuries 336
55 GIA 1255_Altar servers of Yamato Catholic Church: Fr Nagasawa explains 481
54 GIA 1232_Japan's Salesians push forward with cultural outreach 417
53 GIA 1231_Japan supports Don Bosco in education 491
» GIA 1226_Two Japanese Salesians recognised by respective governments 444
51 GIA 1203_Tokyo's 6 SDB parishes come together to pray and to plan Salesian Family common project 303
50 GIA 1186_New Yokohama parish is a regular Pentecost 452
49 GIA 1170_Bushi No Ichi Gon: a Samurai salute to two of Salesian Japan's finest 276
48 GIA 1136_Computers for the kids: at $100 they're a steal! 438
47 GIA 1133_"I'm very happy", says Regional at blessing of new Salesio Polytechnic 570
46 GIA 1131_Japan: "an unbelievable grace" as 1,000 set to work 510
45 GIA 1101_Salesio Kosen: a new name amongst Tokyo's schools! 366
44 GIA 1083_Japan: Servant-Leaders for the Caritas Sisters 236
43 GIA 1047_Japan: Second Salesian Spirituality Seminar focuses on Oratory and biblical themes 450
42 GIA 1020_New Salesio Polytech blessed and opened in Tokyo 429
41 GIA 0982_Japan: Outstanding Salesian missionary passes to his reward 534
40 GIA 0949_Past Pupils: the newest national federation takes its first steps 453
39 GIA 0947_Migrant Ministry: Salesians in Japan fully involved 347
38 GIA 0944_Youth Ministry: a step forward in Japan 480
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
/ 8