NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1449

Pakistan: "Prayers please...If we teach them to love, then there is hope".

LAHORE: 15th February 2006 -- To steal a line from our UK counterpart, Rualink, 'Prayers please' for our Salesians and for many others in Pakistan.  This morning's direct information from Pakistan is disturbing, but it is also a useful reflection and stimulus to prayer.  Anyone who has been through experiences of mob violence, be it a coup or 'cartoon' reaction, has a certain feeling of helplessness which only strong faith can counteract.  I think you will sense both in the drama being played out in the lines that follow. The writer is mailing from outside of Lahore, since duty took him elsewhere, but he is in touch there and feels the immediate need to return there.....
    "Unfortunately the effects of the famous cartoons are now very much felt in Pakistan as well. It seems that the rage of thousands of Islamists is now free to manifest itself against the usual targets: in the centre of Lahore the Mc.Donalds places, Telenor franchises (phone company from Norway), and even Banks were burned today. Several people have been killed and I got a call from Sister X, Spanish nun serving in Lahore for the last 9 years. They have not seen this kind of anger before, with Police, Army and Rangers completely unable to prevent the crowds from burning places related to Western interests. From the Oblates of Mary Immaculate I got the news that they have been asked by Police to remove all crosses and stickers with religious symbols 'because these people are crazy' according to one policeman (Could it be that after all, the Cross is still such a relevant symbol and they are still afraid of it?) Here where I am the Postulants have advised us not to venture in the streets, and other Spanish citizens are asking me to proceed to Islamabad instead of Lahore tomorrow… but we have the school, 90% of them Christians, in Lahore so I am in a hurry to go back. Once again being not only a Westerner but above all, a Christian, is a reason to be killed in this country.
    What can one say in the midst of all this violence, hatred and these senseless actions? Already the mass media have produced enough material to analyse each and every aspect. I just point out that this is not the time to think of East versus West but that it is a kind of civil war within Islam itself: either Islam is the Religion of Peace and Love that Muslim moderates want to sell us so often, or it is what we are seeing these days in many countries around the world. They will have to solve this dilemma if they want to be credible at this point in History. Finally, what a challenge ahead for our Congregation, to think that our work with  youth from these countries can prepare new generations of youth who can bring hope and new role models into these societies! What a responsibility as Youth Ministers! Let us take up this challenge! If we teach young people to hate then we will harvest what we see now. But if we teach them to love then there is hope. Let everyone be accountable for what we sow. Please, continue to pray for the only 2 Salesians at present in Pakistan".    

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
40 FIS 1581_A big problem - may it never be solved! 427
39 FIS 1569_Philippines South sends off missionaries - and notes a Vatican appointment 478
38 FIS 1553_True Shepherd Novices now truly Salesians 290
37 FIS 1536_Pakistani postulants prepared through action 452
36 FIS 1524_Being a friend is what it's all about, 24/7: FIS vocation drive 346
35 FIS 1495_Don Bosco celebrates 50 years in Pakistan! 421
34 FIS 1463_Don Bosco in Pakistan: Education of the heart makes the difference 417
33 FIS 1455_Bishop's hopes for buried flock rely on prayer 455
» FIS 1449_Pakistan: "Prayers please...If we teach them to love, then there is hope". 287
31 FIS 1424_Civil and Religious leaders discuss how to bring better harmony to Pakistan 467
30 FIS 1421_Don Bosco CLAY, Cebu - a vision for 2006 374
29 FIS 1356_Pakistani postulants prepared through action 399
28 FIS 1350_One more! FIS: Fr Abundo Bacatan 368
27 FIS 1339_Pakistan - further update and new developments on relief work 443
26 FIS 1334_DB-CLAY: an impressive programme from FIS 2079
25 FIS 1332_Quetta volunteers lucky to survive bus mishap 390
24 FIS 1327_'When will you return?' doctors, nurses and authorities ask Don Bosco Pakistan...'And indeed we shall'. 567
23 FIS 1323_When cricket becomes a very serious matter 513
22 FIS 1315_A moving letter from the first Pakistani candidate for Salesian life 260
21 FIS 1312_Pakistan: Don Bosco Team asked to consider second tent refugee camp in mountain zone 325
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
/ 6