Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2624

I am at home: the adventure of saying 'yes' to the unknown

MANILA: 13 April 2010 -- Many readers of 'Salesians 2010' had already noted and commented on the article 'Finally I am home', the story of Tuloy sa Don Bosco Village for poor and neglected youngsters in the Philippines - or rather, the story of its father and founder, Fr Rocky Evangelista sdb.
    That brief article is soon to be released as a fully-fledged book, with a total of 64 short essays, covering the life span of its author. 280 pages with photographs.
    Fr Rocky has worked for street children at Tuloy since 1993. He now has, on the site at Alabang where they shifted to in 2001, two other Salesians, six full time volunteers, seventy staff and more than 150 part-time volunteers. Some 7,000 children have passed through Tuloy since it began.
    In his preface, Fr Rocky says "I'm fond of stories. Ask anyone who has heard my homilies or shared the dinner table with us. But the stories I love most are those that involve Tuloy and the many amazing ways our Lord has led many people, each on his own journey, to come together in this work for the poorest of the poor.
    No one, not even those who have had brushing acquaintance with Tuloy, has ever escaped being changed by the experience. Whether he or she is a child, staff member, volunteer, benefactor or visitor his (or her) exposure to Tuloy contaminates them with the drive to give the best of themselves. Tuloy is infectious...."
    Fr Rocky is, of course, a busy man, a very busy man, with little time to write books.  That is why he needs an editor (Rosalie Chuachiaco) and someone to design the book (Fr Armand Robleza).  He has had much encouragement, however, to go ahead with this project.  His own provincial, for starters, and the book carries a recommendation from another Provincial in the Region, Fr Frank Moloney.
    The hope is that 'I am at Home' will be launched during the Philippines North Province (FIN) Provincial Chapter later in April.  At the conclusion of his Preface Fr Rocky says: "May this book open your eyes to see your own miracles and help you to see your own life as a fascinating journey - a love story".  Good on you, Rocky!

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use Bosconet-wiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2009 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Or be interactive with the EAO blog Cetera Tolle. Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at http://sdl.sdb.org