Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1404

A Table of Hope - for when the monsters are real

MANILA: 24th January 2006 --  A reader wrote that he has a 'good news' story he would like to share for the Feast of St. Francis de Sales, even though it possibly has more to do with the Feast of St. John Bosco, but whatever.....
    Walk along EDSA, Manila's widest, busiest boulevard these days, past the high walls of the Major Seminary, and you cannot help but see a huge mural of the Last Supper, but a strikingly different one. It has all the renewed 'Sistine' vibrancy about it, though its subject and its figures are different:  Christ at the table, set in the slums and surrounded by children.  Read artist Joey Velasco's description and motives below, then go to Bosconet at www.bosconet.aust.com and take a look at the picture which will be available for download at the bottom right on the homepage.
    "Hapag ng pag-asa (The Table of Hope) is my tribute to the countless street children who experience nightmares in daytime when the monsters are real: a socio-cultural depiction of Christ breaking and sharing bread in a  slum area, this work is also dedicated to the great Salesian work which is very close to my heart. After a major kidney operation on January 31st 2005, the urge to paint seized me. Through openness and careful listening to the promptings of the Spirit, I was swiftly ushered into the religious art genre.  Having worked for some years in the Youth Centre when I was a student at Don Bosco, I have never forgotten the faces of the poverty and uncertainty that has enraged young people in our country.  Back then, the Salesians taught us that Jesus did not just come to save souls, but to bring us all of life's blessings.  In this painting I wanted to commemorate that idea of being life-giving.  The Table of Hope, hope amidst darkness.  On a dilapidated table made of scrap-wood crates, the Kingdom of God was brought forth because Christ prioritised these little ones.  An art in which the viewer can see him or herself, this painting, I consider, is also a legacy to my own children that they may be reminded of the values of charity and compassion, that fullness of life is possible also on earth through sharing and by being life-giving".
    The Hapag was unveiled by Bishops Bacani and Tobias last December 9.  It has also come to the attention of the Archbishop of Manila, Gaudencia Rosales, an ardent supporter of efforts to assist poverty-stricken children.  Joey is a fair dinkum Bosconian, who attended DB Mandaluyong since he was in short pants.  Ill-health made his desire to join and stay with the Salesians a desire he could not fulfil.  But he is now married with four children and runs a religious articles store in Glorietta, the huge Makati Commercial Centre.
VOCABULARY
fair dinkum: an Australianism.  It means real, true-blue
true-blue: Sorry - another Australianism. Means fair dinkum!!

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
50 FIN 1482_Brothers in preparation - Blessed Artemides Zatti will be celebrated on 15th March 426
» FIN 1404_A Table of Hope - for when the monsters are real 450
48 FIN 1395_'Help you receive, help you give', and other messages: Tuloy community bears fruits of its own motto 570
47 FIN 1393_Philippines under attack 459
46 FIN 1387_Rustles of spring in wintry Milan as EAO missionaries return 'home' 499
45 FIN 1366_Salesians in Sugar Land (aka Negros Occidental): a Christmas blessing from Fr Felix 478
44 FIN 1313_Don Bosco Mandaluyong takes out two Catholic Mass Media Awards 474
43 FIN 1258_Past Pupils' enterprise to be especially proud of 493
42 FIN 1250_Old age grumpy or happy? Your choice 472
41 FIN 1210_FIN Province Finalizes Vision-Mission Statement 450
40 FIN 1204_Philippines crisis: Fr Wong writes to the Salesian Family about 'politics of the Our Father' 446
39 FIN 1189_FIN SC Commission Convenes Meeting of Local Coordinators 387
38 FIN 1182_FIN Salesian Family Formation on the Eucharist 440
37 FIN 1178_Missionaries of the Word: far-seeing, far-reaching Filipino plan 441
36 FIN 1167_Word & Life Magazine is Philippine's Best Youth Mag 449
35 FIN 1126_FIN and CIN: Six New Confreres between them 432
34 FIN 1123_"Savio - response to the call for youthful holiness" 464
33 FIN 1118_Philippines Past Pupils as partners in Don Bosco's mission 480
32 FIN 1112_Philippines: Salesian psychologist places Ratio under developmental spotlight 258
31 FIN 1105_Sonny's farewell: education a bitter seed but the sweetest fruit! 392
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
/ 12