Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1450

RM to young Salesians at Salesian House of Studies: meditation on mission

HONG KONG: 16th February 2006 -- On February 14th, Fr Chávez met with young Salesians at the Salesian House of Studies.  He was welcomed by a student, Albert, now a deacon, who commented on the 75 years of existence of this study centre, "one of the ten missionary formation centres seen by Don Bosco in his dreams".  That is bound to send students in a host of other centres scurrying to their libraries to discover the other nine, while not doubting at all Albert's claim for the tenth!  In addition to those in initial formation, a further ten young missionaries were part of the encounter.
    The occasion was a 'magisterial' one, enabling the Rector Major to develop some thinking on mission in the current context, the context of 'the Asian Millennium' (JP II), and the challenge of enriching ancient cultures with the leaven of the Gospel.  "We are not here to convert 1.5 billion Chinese", he said, and repeated a little later, "we are not the saviours of China.  We are , like Benedict XVI, but humble servants".
    "We are here for the young, especially for the poor, abandoned, at risk, but", he asked "what does this mean in order to avoid being rhetoric alone?"  "We are here to do what Don Bosco did in Valdocco, to make the life of young people happy. Happiness means love, to have a dream, to have a project.  First of all to bring them to Christ and to bring Christ to them".  He came back to motivation - if you have your 'why', you can face any 'how'.  He then drew on the icon chosen by JPII for the Synod on consecrated life in 1994 - the Transfiguration, which is, at base, a very strong experience of God.  As in Philippians Chapter 3, Paul shares his personal experience, his vision of the world where Christ has overturned his value system so that everything else is rubbish.  The RM coined a word here...transvaluation!
    We need to be able to share our experience of God - and Fr Chávez shared a little of his, from his 'Jerusalem' period, studying at the Hebrew University.  He would go regularly into the grotto in Bethlehem, grubby as it is (some tourists take one look and go). There he would sit and ponder - what changes human history?  On Fridays he would pray at the Holy Sepulchre, and prayed with a small cross he had bought there and still wears today. "Nobody loves me more than Jesus.  Nobody has given his life for me other than Jesus"!
    From the experience of God we move to an experience of humanity, and a passion for it.  If we don't love people as they are, how can we love God who is invisible? (John's First Letter). And still with John, the Samaritan woman - she'd had five husbands, but in a sense only met the right one when she met Jesus, at which point she became an apostle, a missionary to her own village, telling her own experience.
    The Rector Major invited his listeners to go to Philippians 2 and meditate on the 'kenosis', the basis of missionary spirituality.  He invited them to take the Cross as their way of life and to never ever lose the sense of being sent.  At this point strong applause.
    Question and answer, the questions focusing on the future in their present context.  His answer focused on the idea of St. Francis Xavier whose anniversary is being celebrated this year: "I am like the light near the tabernacle".  Be a light shining now, in Hong Kong, in Macau, wherever.
    Following this, the Rector Major met with some of the Salesian elders, Fr Bernard Tohill amongst them.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
» CIN 1450_RM to young Salesians at Salesian House of Studies: meditation on mission 399
59 CIN 1448_'Killing us softly': February 14 at Tan King Po 283
58 CIN 1447_"A really wonderful, unexpected day, full of grace and encouragement" 329
57 CIN 1446_Macau Part II: Centenary Mass at Yuet Wah Millennium Hall 274
56 CIN 1445_Macau: Part I of the centenary high point 227
55 CIN 1444_Macau: Part I of the centenary high point 295
54 CIN 1442_Turin to Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macao and more: "It's much more important to have the fire" 367
53 CIN 1441_Rector Major begins visit to Hong Kong with three Hail Marys 356
52 CIN 1440_EAO Provincials meet for wide-ranging discussions at Cheung Chau HK 290
51 CIN 1438_China: some preliminaries to the coming days 382
50 CIN 1437_'Many islands - what we need are a few more bridges': YM delegates grope forward 528
49 CIN 1435_Frog in the milk-pail: there's hope yet! YM delegates thrashing the question around. 275
48 CIN 1433_A frog story to add to your collection - with a happy ending? 344
47 CIN 1414_Gung hay fat choy! Happy dog year! Spring Festival! 318
46 CIN 1381_China's independent Catholic voice - again 394
45 CIN 1363_China focus: "My Lord, show me your face"! 243
44 CIN 1336_Salesian China Province: Past Pupil tribute at Centenary Charity and Thanksgiving Dinner 553
43 CIN 1308_China Salesian Cooperators' Provincial Council elections 234
42 CIN 1302_Chinese - a language of choice 360
41 CIN 1288_Hong Kong's first 'School of Hip Hop' - inside 'The Hangout'. 202
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
/ 9