?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1447

"A really wonderful, unexpected day, full of grace and encouragement"
bystanders comment on events later on Monday 13th in Macau

MACAU: 13th February 2006 --  This item was going to be about the exchange between the Rector Major and the bishops - but that can keep.  Meanwhile, in the evening of the same day, today, two very interesting and meaningful events took place.  The first was a visit to the Bishop's residence in Macau.  This was more than a courtesy call.  It occurred at precisely the hour and on the same day one hundred years later that Fr Versiglia and his group called on the then Bishop of Macau.  Fr Chávez this time used the occasion to thank the diocese for accepting the Salesians one hundred years ago and continuing its support for them today.
    And then came a meeting with young people at Yuet Wah College.  The two 'bystanders' who made the comment that forms the headline for this item were, significantly, Fr Rescalli and Fr Nicosia, 94 and 91 years of age respectively.  It was so partly because of the spontaneity of the youth matched by the Rector Major's own, but also undoubtedly because this centenary has had three years of meticulous planning, preparation, formation of people.
    The Rector Major began by telling the young people how happy Don Bosco would be tonight, with their dances, martial arts, dragon performances, magic.  But he reminded them of the millions of young people who were unhappy tonight, unfed, child soldiers perhaps.  Don Bosco, he said, wanted his boys to be aware of reality and persevering in their own commitment.  The Rector Major put in a plug for Chinese youthful volunteers. "You are so privileged", he told them, "It's nice to see young volunteers, but so far I have yet to see some Chinese young volunteers".
    Then came question and answer.  Some of the questions and indeed some of the answers we have recorded before in these pages, but there are always new ones:
    Q: Do you have any brothers and sisters, any of them religious?
    A: 6 brothers and 6 sisters.  Born in a Catholic country!  ALl married, with families - except me!
    Q: What do you expect from your Salesians?  What attitude do you want them to have towards us?
    A: I want the Salesians in China to be for all of you what Don  Bosco was for his boys: loving young people, ready to give their life for them, accompanying them towards fullness of life, offering them not just a diploma bu a life project.
    Q: How did you become a great Salesian priest?
    A: When I was 15 I was ready to go to university.  I said to myself 'it's now or never' and became a Salesian.  I would like to see many of you as Salesians, like me.
    Q: Do you have a specific method for making your Salesians believe and trust in God?
    A: That's an interesting question.  As the leader of a worldwide Congregation I need to know where I am leading the Congregation.  Together with my full-time collaborators (councillors) we point our men towards: being faithful to Don Bosco and the young, growing, increasing in vocations and attracting more vocations, giving quality to our religious life and educational and pastoral work.
    The evening finished with prayer and snacks and the RM getting a special 'made in Macau' (where else?) T-shirt with Fr Chavez emblazoned across it in Chinese characters.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
60 CIN 1450_RM to young Salesians at Salesian House of Studies: meditation on mission 399
59 CIN 1448_'Killing us softly': February 14 at Tan King Po 283
» CIN 1447_"A really wonderful, unexpected day, full of grace and encouragement" 329
57 CIN 1446_Macau Part II: Centenary Mass at Yuet Wah Millennium Hall 274
56 CIN 1445_Macau: Part I of the centenary high point 227
55 CIN 1444_Macau: Part I of the centenary high point 295
54 CIN 1442_Turin to Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macao and more: "It's much more important to have the fire" 367
53 CIN 1441_Rector Major begins visit to Hong Kong with three Hail Marys 356
52 CIN 1440_EAO Provincials meet for wide-ranging discussions at Cheung Chau HK 290
51 CIN 1438_China: some preliminaries to the coming days 382
50 CIN 1437_'Many islands - what we need are a few more bridges': YM delegates grope forward 528
49 CIN 1435_Frog in the milk-pail: there's hope yet! YM delegates thrashing the question around. 275
48 CIN 1433_A frog story to add to your collection - with a happy ending? 344
47 CIN 1414_Gung hay fat choy! Happy dog year! Spring Festival! 318
46 CIN 1381_China's independent Catholic voice - again 394
45 CIN 1363_China focus: "My Lord, show me your face"! 243
44 CIN 1336_Salesian China Province: Past Pupil tribute at Centenary Charity and Thanksgiving Dinner 553
43 CIN 1308_China Salesian Cooperators' Provincial Council elections 234
42 CIN 1302_Chinese - a language of choice 360
41 CIN 1288_Hong Kong's first 'School of Hip Hop' - inside 'The Hangout'. 202
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
/ 9