NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3295

TAINAN:  7 October 2013 --  Fr Klement interviews Fr Matthew Tri, 40 year old Vietnamese-born Rector of the Tainan Salesian Community, Parish Priest and Migrant Centre leader.

1. Who introduced you to Jesus Christ and his Gospel and Church?
I come from a Catholic family; in fact I don’t know how many generations we have been Catholic, so I am blessed indeed that I grew up in a Catholic atmosphere especially my dear father's piety - he was the very first one to talk to me about vocation and gave his full support for me to follow God’s call. There are so many beautiful memories which come to my mind whenever I recall my vocation and even my life. I am no five in a family of seven children.

2. What was the most profound experience of your 10 years of Salesian initial formation in Vietnam? 
I came to know about the Salesians from the House of Studies in Dalat when I was just ten years old, where all our young Salesian Confreres were for their initial formation. At that time, I think, the Salesian spirit was still very fresh (and authentic) from our pioneer missionaries most of whom came from China Province, such as Frs Louis Massimino, Mario Aquistapace, Andrew Majcen, Matthew Kim… I heard from our Salesian Confreres about them. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a chance to meet them face to face. But what I learned most from these 10 years is what it means to be an authentic Salesian, the Salesian Don Bosco wants. I know it’s not easy. I am not perfect. Actually, I still have many defects and make many mistakes but I have to try my best day by day in order to be better. Please pray for me!

3. Did you think of being a missionary ad gentes in China-Taiwan before 2003?
Looking back on my Salesian vocation, somehow I could say it looks like the life of Abraham. After formation in Pre-novitiate, Novitiate, Post-novitiate and Practical Training as usual I only did the first two years of Theology in Vietnam. The following years were in the Philippines. I returned to Vietnam but less than a year later I was called - to go to Taiwan in July, 2003 (it’s 5 year renewable agreement between the two Provinces, an expression of gratitude Vietnam shows to the mother province). Since then, I have come and worked here in the Tainan Community. It seems to have happened smoothly.

4. How did you arrive in Taiwan in 2003?
After receiving the suggestion from my Provincial (Fr. J.B. Them), I processed all the papers for the Visa for Taiwan. On November 7th, 2003, I arrived in Taiwan without knowing anything. I mean, no official information about Taiwan (history, geography, language…). I started a new life in every aspect, almost from scratch. 

5. How were the first two years of language and culture studies in a new country?
As a new missionary, we had two years of language and culture studies. I was no exception (at least on paper!). Like a child in a new environment, I had to start from the very beginning with the language. Even though I come from Vietnam which is much influenced by the Chinese culture, I didn’t know even  half of the Chinese characters. Everything started from zero. My full time commitment to Chinese language classes was only during the first six months. After my priestly ordination, I was appointed as Economer in the Tainan community. My classes continued but somehow I started to be distracted… Since then, the work has grown and expanded (school - spiritual animator and in the Diocese of Tainan - migrant ministry); and of course, my time for studies grew less. As a consequence, I never finished my two years of language and culture. Anyway, I think that is missionary life. We learn as we work and vice versa.

6. You have been Rector of the Tainan community now for a year?
(NB Matthew is the youngest of 7 confreres in Tainan, living with very senior confreres, one former provincial.)
I was really blessed when I was called to be the Rector of this community where I am now the youngest. Moreover, I have had a chance to live with not only our senior confreres or former provincial, but before 1975 they were the Superiors of my Superiors in Vietnam. I would like to express my special gratitude to Fr John Baptist Zen. Thank God for giving us such a good and exemplary confrere in the community, as Pope Francis recently said about Pope Benedict XVI being a “Grandfather” in the family.
(NB there are three more Vietnamese missionary rectors - Budapest, Albania- Scutari, Mongolia - Ulanbaatar)

7. Due to your language skills you have been entrusted by Tainan's Bishop Bosco Lin to build up a migrant pastoral centre in Shanhua (20 km from the school). Could you share your story of migrant ministry in Tainan diocese?
After my ordination towards the end of 2004, our Bishop, who is President of the ECMI (Episcopal conference for migrant ministry) in the CRBC (Chinese Regional Bishops Conference, Taiwan) asked me to be the Diocesan Coordinator for Migrants (at the time most of the migrants were Filipinos). Since then, I have been involved with this new frontier which the Church and our Congregation have emphasized. After several years going around to help them, both in spiritual and physical aspects, in 2009 our Tainan Bishop decided to open the very first Migrant Pastoral Centre in Shanhua – Holy Family Church, it’s around 20 km from our Community. With an agreement between our Provincial and the Bishop I went as a Salesian in the name of the China Province. I was sent to set up the centre. As I looked back now it is like the story of the Pinardi house in Don Bosco’s time. Some parts of the Church had been abandoned for more than 10 years… With the help of our Bishop we were able to open the centre and begin serving our migrant brothers and sisters. I think it’s really meaningful for us to take care of our migrant brothers and sisters, in particular in the situation of “the Church on the move” today. Yes, I am very happy with this work.

8. What about evangelisation of young people in the school and parish of Mary Help of Christians where Catholics are fewer than 1 percent? (NB since 1963 only some 600 baptisms in our parish).
This is a good question but also the most difficult one. Someone once said that doing missionary work in Taiwan is like trying to pull a buffalo up a tree. It’s not easy work, but I think this is why we are here! The young people in Taiwan now are quite different from other places. They are so much influenced by the local and traditional chinese religion. And, with such a developed technical and material focus in this country, the challenge of the missionary is even more difficult. Anyway, we have to plant and plant the seed tirelessly… it grows and bears fruit or it is not God's work.

9. Do you keep in touch with many of the 100 Vietnamese missionaries ad gentes around the world?
Yes, I do, but not with all. Most of them are young and I have been away from the Province a long time (around 14 years - including theology in Paranaque), so I don’t know them very well, just their names. Among them are some who were there in my time or some were my students with whom I still keep in touch.

10. You have never received the missionary cross in these 10 years. Do you feel you are a true missionary?
Time flies… ten years working in Taiwan, in Tainan! Since I was sent here I haven’t had a chance to go to other communities, not even for experiences in different fields of our Salesian work in Taiwan. But so far I am very happy to live and to work in my mission area. Yes, you might laugh at me because I am working as missionary without 'officially' receiving the missionary cross but I think working in and for the Salesian mission and being a Salesian is more than enough for me. The place does not really matter. What is important is that we have the heart of Don Bosco: for the glory of God and the salvation of souls, especially for poor and abandoned youth.

11. Any good advice for young Salesians in the EAO region and especially in Vietnam? 
Being a missionary ad gentes or not is not the important thing. What is important is being a good and authentic Salesian. That's what counts. So, before being a good missionary you have to be a good and true Salesian.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
180 CIN 3529_The Salesian Family Spirituality Day (CIN) 1617
179 CIN 3517_Christ the King Procession in the Western District 1369
178 CIN 3491_Bicentenary of the birth of Don Bosco – CIN - 652
177 CIN 3471_Cardinal Zen 70 years since entering the aspirantate, 50 of teaching 576
176 CIN 3456_Hot Historic June Days 561
175 CIN 3433_China: Spiritual camp equips staff 524
174 CIN 3353_Taiwan Cooperators' New Blood 575
173 CIN 3325_Salesian Family Secondary Schools Seminar HK 607
» CIN 3295_40 year old Vietnamese-born Rector of the Tainan Salesian Community 594
171 CIN 3285_Don Bosco's Preventive System: 13 month course, HK 477
170 CIN 3282_Bishop Joseph Van Tiêm sdb - R.I.P. 535
169 CIN 3279_Retreat for Salesian Family, CIN 611
168 CIN 3273_Salesian Family Primary Teachers' Seminar, HK 482
167 CIN 3232_After 50 years: a Bishop named Bosco and also a Bishop Past-Pupil (CIN) 522
166 CIN 3218_“Do you remember me when you choose?” 416
165 CIN 3212_China Province: An Elder is a Treasure in the Family 5265
164 CIN 3193_Chinese New Year - or Tet, or Seollal: there's an app for that! 552
163 CIN 3189_How do we practise the Preventive System? 555
162 CIN 3183_China Province: Don Bosco’s Heart – Heart to Heart 579
161 CIN 3174_Two little steps by China Province into the Digital Continent 440
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
/ 9