Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2879

A lay missionary reflects

MELBOURNE: July 1 2011 -- Some Volunteer programs call themselves - volunteers.  Some call themselves not volunteers but lay missionaries. The Australian Salesian Missionary Project (aka Cagliero) is precisely that, a lay missionary programme, and the following reflection by a recently returned lay missionary in the Project, Michael Walter, is clear evidence of the depth of commitment and reflection that the programme engenders:

"My time in Cambodia was short; I spent 6 months volunteering at Don Bosco Technical school in Phnom Penh. It was life-changing, not in a cliché sort of way, as a nice thing to say upon returning, but it has genuinely affected the way I see the world and my place in it. These are some of the lessons I learned:
1. West isn’t necessarily best. I remember during my first few weeks in Cambodia, I was really frustrated when I’d see people driving new glamorous cars, when so many people were sick, hungry and uneducated. Then I realised that there are more glamorous cars in Australia, and we have the extra resources to help. It’s easier to judge someone else before looking back at yourself.
2. We are all the same. Sometimes it’s easier to assume that people are starving, poor, uneducated because they are different. This is wrong. While I was working with my students, who were from very poor backgrounds, I realised that in many ways we are the same. We all want to live life to the full, support our families, and fall in love. This made it harder to accept poverty; and then I realised I shouldn’t accept it.
3. I am accountable. Before I arrived in Cambodia I assumed that because I was a student I couldn’t make any difference. While I was there, I saw the lack of resources in the school, particularly English resources, DVDs etc. I also realised how cheap resources were. Before I left, a friend of mine donated $300 for my school. I donated it all to better the English program. $300 in the scheme of things isn’t that much money. In Cambodia it’s a small fortune which can greatly help build up educational resources. There are many people willing to help and give their time poorer countries, but they lack resources. Often people in richer countries have more resources than they can handle. It seems to make sense to share.
4. I am not a messiah. Being a missionary was an incredibly humbling experience. It was like becoming a baby and growing up again. Learning the culture, language, what’s appropriate and inappropriate. I learned a lot about how to handle stress, and that I had a lot to learn as a teacher. This realisation has been imperative for my career as a teacher. If you think you’re the best, you can’t grow. But if you’re aware of your weaknesses, you can only get better.
    Going to Cambodia was just the beginning. 6 months was a short time, but I am so grateful that the Salesians gave me the opportunity to go. There’s so much to be done. I feel a real passion for Salesianity and since returning, myself and three others decided to live as a Salesian community. We named our community, “The Rinaldi Community” after Blessed Philip Rinaldi, the third successor of Don Bosco, who formed the “volunteers of Don Bosco”. In this community we pray together, help create a Salesian atmosphere in the hostel, and coordinate activities in the youth centre. 
As Christians it is crucial to be active in our faith. It’s not enough to just reflect upon the world, and think about doing good things. We have to take charge and work towards making the world, around us, a better place!"

Michael spent 6 months in Cambodia as a Cagliero Missionary in 2010. He is currently studying to become a teacher. 

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2011 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Or be interactive with the EAO blog Cetera Tolle. Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at http://sdl.sdb.org

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
238 AUL 2972_Installation of new Aus-Pac Provincial 454
237 AUL 2970_New Chapel Blessed at St John Bosco College, Engadine 451
236 AUL 2968_Salesian School Captains Leadership Conference 237
235 AUL Dromana leader take over school for an afternoon2965_ 509
234 AUL 2936_Double youth celebration in Australia-Pacific Province 345
233 AUL 2919_Catholicism and Salesianity at its very core 476
232 AUL 2908_Pride of Australia 'Inspiration' Award for key Salesian partner in mission 518
231 AUL 2894_Shells Blessed at Australia - Pacific WYD Commissioning 407
230 AUL 2885_Province Day in Australia-Pacific 322
» AUL 2879_A lay missionary reflects 351
228 AUL 2875_Australia-Pacific has a new Provincial 351
227 AUL 2872_Fr Frank Bertagnolli SDB, OAM 588
226 AUL 2871_Ordinations within the Region in the lead-up to Pentecost 298
225 AUL 2858_Australian Catholic University’s (ACU) Doctor of the University awards 446
224 AUL 2842_Mamma Margaret's special role at the 'Town' 578
223 AUL 2825_Don Bosco visits St Margaret Mary’s, North Brunswick 324
222 AUL 2821_Don Bosco's Relic at Monash University 459
221 AUL 2794_A goal achieved and a new beginning 521
220 AUL 2785_Youth Matters in Sydney 408
219 AUL 2765_"...perhaps with the hope that God’s grace could be mediated by this new technology" 426
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next
/ 13