Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1666

Taking stock of austraLasia

ROME: 17th October 2006 -- The last two months have been interesting ones for austraLasia. Its coordinator has been anywhere but Rome and at times in places and climates which test portable hardware to the extreme (to the point where it is currently undergoing corrective surgery at a Roman clinic! All under warranty). There have been minor breaks in service due to location, or hardware failure, but the reality is that 3 or 4 new subscriptions a week have been the rule rather than the exception and over a period of months and years that is quite some increase. Welcome to one from Thailand today, two from Vietnam yesterday, plus  six from Fiji last week!. We are just concluding our ninth year of existence and on the right side towards two thousand news items.
    So, we speak of some 1,000 who personally receive austra
Lasia, and rising.  We can only guess at the actual number of readers if, as sometimes happens, a receiver puts it on the community noticeboard or passes it on to others.  But is 1,000 a real number?  Give or take, yes, in terms of names on lists. But global email is in difficulties! How many receive austraLasia prefixed by a SPAM notice?  How many are not reading this one because their own spam settings quietly slip it into the Junk folder! How many are returned to me because it has been blocked or because the receiver has altered his address (about 100). 
    For your information, this problem, even with all the suggested safeguards, is not one that we alone can overcome.  In the email dance it certainly takes two to tango, maybe four. Sender and receiver (persons) are involved, as well as exit and entry servers, for want of a better term.  I try to avoid words in austra
Lasia which spam hunters like Spamhaus automatically pick up, but cannot go to ridiculous lengths like the Bayesian spam you receive these days:  random words in the title and even in the body, but someone trying to sell you something underneath!  Furthermore, the Rome server (not based at the Pisana) limits me to 35 in a group for sending. Gmail allows me 500 then cuts me out until a new calendar day from sending any further emails. If you change your address, that is another problem only resolved by my receiving your new address - from you.
    What else can you do?  Where you can advise your incoming server to let sdb.org emails through, please do so. This goes not just for austra
Lasia but all sdb.org mail including ones from the Rector Major if you get them!  And even better - use Firefox or Opera as your web browser, go into Bosconet and click on the little orange square in the address bar to put an RSS feed for austraLasia on your browser toolbar.  That automatically brings the latest austraLasia (and any other material you choose to receive) to your desktop with a single browser click. You don't know how to do this? Write to me and I'll explain it in simple detail.
    austra
Lasia invites you to be interactive.  It takes little effort - please try to be interactive. We hope to introduce the same technology to www.sdb.org very shortly. Just click where it says 'click here' in your austraLasia and follow through from there.  Writing a comment is easy enough at that point.  A suggestion - do not address your comments to me.  Apart from the occasional embarrassment it causes me, this interactivity is not about centralised communication.  Write a comment (along the lines of a blog if you like) which invites others to comment on yours. I prefer not to comment at all. I'm doing my bit after all.
    And finally.  Remember that in EAO every receiver of austraLasia is a correspondent. Receivers are SDB, FMA and other members of the Salesian Family. You are austra
Lasia, not me. It comes out more or less daily because you send me the news.  I simply check the facts, polish it up where needs be, and publish it. 'Basta', as they say in these parts! JBF

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com  Use BoscoWiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xm A separate service entirely is called F/OSSERVATORE to help us keep abreast of trends in the digital world.  To contact austraLasia by voice on Skype, the Skype name is austraLasia.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
71 EAO 1682_Following up the missions - and the missionaries 306
» EAO 1666_Taking stock of austraLasia 360
69 EAO 1639_Learning to love Don Bosco - activity afoot in the Anglophone regions 336
68 EAO 1633_Firing up the (Salesian) Family - and the third passion 435
67 EAO 1632_Windows on a world! Day one of Brothers' Assembly EAO 427
66 EAO 1625_Asia Youth Day(s) in full swing in Hong Kong 350
65 EAO 1580_Ordinations to be thankful for, to pray for: a complete roundup 411
64 EAO 1556_Brothers pose challenging but essential questions 307
63 EAO 1530_The conversation has begun - let it continue! 303
62 EAO 1526_BoscoWiki is born - puts the 'we' in web to work 303
61 EAO 1471_The 'African connection' with EAO 261
60 EAO 1413_Bosconet snagged on a reef in cyberspace, and other related issues 296
59 EAO 1397_Brothers, in EAO and elsewhere - two important ports of call 312
58 EAO 1384_EAO has the numbers in Rome, and elsewhere 423
57 EAO 1379_Analysis of austraLasia 2005 375
56 EAO 1375_Consecrated Secular Life: the EAO story with reference to CDB and VDB 431
55 EAO 1359_Council approves conclusions from EAO Region study 825
54 EAO 1352_EAO members benefit from Missionary course 266
53 EAO 1349_Manila, Tokyo, HCM, Melbourne, Bangkok: ordinations 283
52 EAO 1335_Youth Ministry EAO: ready for HK 2006? Fr Domenech would like to be. 220
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
/ 8