Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2277

My first steps as a missionary - Ethiopian missionary to EAO
(Source: M28 mission animation magazine, Philippines)

PORT MORESBY: 15th October 2008 -- Bro. Kemiso Addis Gebrekidan comes from Zway, Ethiopia.  He has been in PNG now for over a year.  Bro. Kemiso's reflections on what it is like to be a missionary 'in reverse' so to speak, are interesting.
    "The pioneer missionaries whom I had encountered in my town, Zway, Ethiopia, played a great role in my missionary vocation" he says. "They were there learning our language, being available to our needs both spiritually and materially and offering their total self-giving love".
    "God has been good to me for he answered my prayer when I was assigned to PNG. I spent my second practical training year there for a year as a missionary. The first four months I lived in the village of Lariau. It is in the Gulf Province situated in the remotest area. Afterwards, for the remaining eight months, I was assigned in Port Moresby - Savio Haus Community as an assistant to the young candidates who want to be Salesians".
    Bro Kemiso goes on to speak of the culture shock, malaria and other issues "which made me surrender to misunderstandings". But he discovered a way forward: "I decided to have a strong and regular sacramental and prayer life, healthy relationships with many people and to be a friend to all...da mihi animas cetera tolle - give me souls and take away the rest. This is the translation of the Gospel in my daily life".
    He concludes his reflections with the comment: "With the grace of humility and patience, I try to become a learner, not a teacher in my new ambience. Eventually I will be a teacher, more by having a good attitude in learning".

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use Bosconet-wiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2008 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at http://sdl.sdb.org

Title: australasia 2277
Subject and key words: EAO Provinces PNG-SI missionary from Ethiopia
Date (year): 2008
ID: 2000-2099|2277