Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3224

EAO and the Help of Christians II

EAO: 24May 2013 --  From the former Rector at the novitiate in Anisakan, Fr edward Sein Myint, the following: "Our Vice-Province of Mary, Help of Christians, was inaugurated on August 6th, 2004. The Marian Shrine to MHC was built in the late ‘80s and since then every 24th May is a Day of Celebration with many pilgrims coming from different places in Burma, increasing yearly. There is a Solemn High Mass with Salesians & diocesan clergy (sometimes with the Religious Profession integrated), Procession, Benediction, and a solemn lunch for laity, Religious and Clergy. Frequently, the Archbishop of Mandalay (in whose Archdiocese is Anisakan) graces the occasion when he is is available. Our Province is young (average age 33) increasing yearly with at least 5 newly Professed (either on 23rd May, or 24th May). In fact, yesterday we had 9 professions, and 5 new entries into the Novitiate".  So, four not three circumscriptions in our region dedicated to the Help of Christians!

Ordinations in Jakarta (ITM), by Fr Chito Padilla
"The Feast of our Blessed Mother showered down many blessings today on the ITM Vice-Province because of two memorable events: the Perpetual Profession of two Timorese Salesian Brothers in Fatumaca, East Timor, and the Presbyteral Ordination of two Indonesian Salesian Deacons in Jakarta, Indonesia.

The Salesian Delegation of Indonesia has all the reasons to be joyful and thankful to the Lord for its two new priests. The Eucharistic Celebration for the Solemnity of Mary Help of Christians and the Ordination of Priests was held in the Parish Church of St. John Bosco in Danau Sunter, North Jakarta. It started at 17.00 hrs., and was presided over by the Archbishop of Jakarta, Ignatius Suharyo, who conferred the dignity of priesthood by the laying on of hands to Fr. Agustinus Catur Prastawa and Fr. Petrus Laurensius Adie Prinanto, thus becoming the 19th and 20th Indonesian Salesian Priests. Around 40 priests concelebrated, and around 500 people filled the Church to capacity, mostly members of the Salesian Family, the parents and relatives of the new priests, the prenovices from Tigaraksa, the postnovices of Sunter, and the parishioners. The young people of the parish with the prenovices provided an excellent choir for the occasion, with the boys of the parish serving at the altar with the postnovices. 

In his simple message for the occasion the Archbishop first congratulated the newly ordained and expressed the wish that their presence and pastoral service may be “a source of salvation for many people and the glorification of God’s name…. May St. John Bosco always be an inspiration for both of them to grow in the priesthood and in the service that their Congregation will entrust to them…” He thanked the parents and families of the new priests for entrusting their sons to the Salesian Congregation and encouraging them to follow their calling, reminded the people that the family is the seedbed of vocation and thanked also all those involved in the preparation and smooth execution of the plans for the ordination ceremony. Alluding to the Feast, after recounting the dream of Don Bosco about the two pillars (Devotion to the Eucharist and Devotion to Mary Help of Christians) to which the ship representing the Church is anchored safely, he invited the two new priests to be “like little Christs” in their ministry so that they may bring salvation to the people of this age in spite of all the challenges the Church today is facing, the culture of life to a world where the culture of death is so much experienced.

For their motto, Fr. Catur and Fr. Adie chose “The harvest is great, but the labourers are few.” (Mt. 9:37) Fr. Catur explained before the end of the Mass why they chose this motto. It expresses the attention of the Lord Jesus for the people who were like sheep without a shepherd, and so these words encourages them to answer his call to be His workers. Again, like the Bishop, he thanked all those who made this day possible, especially their parents, who cared so much for them and supported them in their vocation. The Provincial Delegate also informed those who came for the celebration where they will be sent to be “labourers of the Master” – Fr. Catur will be one of the formators in the Postnovitiate in Wisma SDB Sunter, and Fr. Adie will also be a formator in the Novitiate of Don Bosco Sumba, and share his expertise in computer for the students of the Don Bosco Training Centre there.

On beings asked about the role of Mary Help of Christians in his vocation, Fr. Adie, as he is popularly known, said, “I can say that Mary is the one who led me to enter the Salesian Congregation. After every mass, I used to pray with my mother in front of the grotto of Mary in the Postnovitiate. I always prayed that I may be a good Christian. Many years passed before I realized that God is calling me for something more: to be a Salesian. So I entered the Salesian Seminary. During the years of my formation, my devotion to Mary Help of Christians grew. I wanted to be a worthy son of so noble a mother. And now that I am a Salesian Priest, I would like to spread more the devotion to her in Indonesia.” 

Fr. Catur, on his part, said, “Who is Mama Mary for me? I started to know about Mama Mary when I was teenager, when I entered college. Before that I did not know anything about her because I was not yet baptized. Now, she is everything to me, she is my perfect model of discipleship. She teaches me to do everything in accordance with God’s will. As her child, I surrendered my difficulties to her and she listened to my prayers. She helped me to overcome my problems and assisted me with her motherly protection, leading me on the right way.”    

Let us pray for these new priests that through their ministry they may be like Don Bosco, always and everywhere educators in the faith, and 'signs of Christ the Good Shepherd, especially by preaching the Gospel and administering the sacraments.' (Salesian Constitutions 45)."