?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 2439 Comment 1

20150828_AUL.jpg

By Fr. Denis Allen, diocesan priest of Hobart

Tasmania, Australia - During an August 27 Dominic College Assembly retired priest of Hobart Archdiocese, former student of the (former) Boys Town (1946-1956) shared with the 900 students and the Salesian educative-pastoral community his life story. Simple, deep and powerful faith-witness of Fr. Denis Allen, the first priestly vocation of this almost 70 years old Salesian school, the only in Tasmania.

I came to Boys Town Glenorchy in 1947, just one year after the foundation of Boys Town and Fr Brennan was the Rector. I had not met a priest before, it was the first priest I ever met in my life.

On arrival he said: "Come on, son let us go to Benediction!" "Bene.... what..." was my reply. In the tiny Chapel of the Boys Town one of 4 ex Hydro Huts (=workers prefabricates) I can still remember the Sight, the Sound, the Smell of it all a combination of candles, incense and flowers with small white DISC (=Eucharist) on the altar.... "What is this?" I asked myself and have been finding out ever since!

Because of my parents' illness I came to the (Salesian) Boys Town for 3 weeks, but loved it so much that I stayed for 3 years!

Life in 1947 was very very different than life today. We had a mixtures of boys, most of us from poor families, but we got on pretty well. some of those boys became life long friends.

After the Boys Town I went to a (Marist) Brothers' school and left at 16 years of age to take up an apprenticeship at the Government Printers in Hobart. And after a couple of years one of my workmates asked me: "Are you happy with work?"... As I wasn't particularly satisfied... I answered "NO" He said "Have you thought of being a priest?" And another definite "NO!" but that set the seed of vocation in my heart!

After trying to self educate I needed Latin and knocked (again) on the (Salesian) Boys Town door to get some assistance.

But it was with the firm idea in spite of greatly admiring the SDB vocation, that I somehow know I wished to stay on the beautiful island of Tasmania. So the journey towards priesthood began in 1955. Seminary years in Victoria were from 1958-65 and I was ordained by Archbishop Young on 23rd July 1965 in Hobart, Tasmania.

As Catholic priest, my great love has been with families all over Tasmania and my highest responsibility in the archdiocese was as Vicar General from 1994 to 1996. In that time there was a terrible massacre at Port Arthur and that was a very dark time in my life trying to cope with the aftermath. But no regrets.

Dear students! Listen to God! Listen to God who does speak through your teachers, parents and each other! Have great respect for all.

Yes, Dominic College students are fortunate to have a fine school community today, with 5 Salesians and almost hundred teachers and staff. I was grateful to be honoured today by the school community, but put all the praise to God. The generous gift has been most appreciated. Thank you so much.

20150828_AUL1.jpg

20150828_AUL2.jpg

20150828_AUL3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • Dhanalakshmi 2016.03.28 20:18

Bosco old scholar shares their story when they are in this school. At that time facilites are not like which now have the students. Infect, pictures of both old and new school which clearly show the stroy of that time and current time. However, I'm looking  best site for writing services which must be within reasonable budget and have team of writers.

1. 3723(I)_Young Adult Group SENT

Fruits of the Don Bosco Bicentenary By Mr. Matt Humpreys Sydney, Australia - At St John Bosco Parish in Engadine (Sydney Archdiocese), we began dreaming of ways we can keep young adults connected to the Parish after they had left their seco...
    Date2015.08.30 CategoryAUL Reply1 Views1196 file
    Read More
  2. 3722_The 15th Provincial Chapter was ended in KOR

By Bro. Hilario Seo, SDB Taean, Korea, August 27, 2015 - The 15th Provincial Chapter was held in the Salesian Retreat House in Neri, on the cost of the middle west of the peninsula from 24th to 27th of August, 2015. The Chapter was attended...
    Date2015.08.29 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1383 file
    Read More
  3. 3721(II)_Don Bosco old scholar shares

By Fr. Denis Allen, diocesan priest of Hobart Tasmania, Australia - During an August 27 Dominic College Assembly retired priest of Hobart Archdiocese, former student of the (former) Boys Town (1946-1956) shared with the 900 students and the...
    Date2015.08.28 CategoryAUL Reply1 Views2439 file
    Read More
  4. 3721(I)_Missions day in Dili

By Fr. Manuel Fraile, SDB This year the Salesian Missions Day was celebrated within the great week (Aug.24-29) of the Bicentenary, as an homage to Don Bosco “the missionary”. For the first time, it was attended by members of the various gro...
    Date2015.08.28 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views1376 file
    Read More
  5. 3720_SYM of THA in Turin Don Bosco 2015

By Fr. Anthony Boonlert, SDB Bangkok, Thailand - From 10th to 16th August 2015 a larger group of the Salesian Youth Movement of THA Province participated at the SYM Don Bosco 2015 ‘Like Don Bosco – With the Young – For the Young’. 24 member...
    Date2015.08.27 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views2112 file
    Read More
  6. 3719(II)_Priestly Ordination in Dili

By Bro. Amilcar D'Silva, SDB Dili, East Timor - The 24th of August 2015 was another important day for the Vice-Province of St. Callistus Caravario, ITM (Indonesia-Timor), as it winds up the celebrations of the Bicentennary of Don Bosco’s Bi...
    Date2015.08.25 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views1781 file
    Read More
  7. 3719(I)_DB200 - Same Origin, Dream, Commitment, Journey and Mission

By Ms. Kiko Hong Kong, August 22, 2015 - This day was the final closing of DB200 celebrations of China Province and the perpetual profession of Cl. Lou San John Baptist. More than 700 faithful, including members of other religious orders, c...
    Date2015.08.25 CategoryCIN Reply1 Views1420 file
    Read More
  8. 3718_Three Bosconians won DB essay writing contest

By Fr. Drans Nolasco, SDB Mandaluyong, Phillipine, August 24, 2015 - The Salesians of Don Bosco, China Province in cooperation with the Louis K.Y. Leung Education Foundation awarded Certificates of Recognition and Scholarship Financial Supp...
    Date2015.08.24 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views2055 file
    Read More
  9. 3717_The Highlands of PNG celebrate Don Bosco bicentenary

By Fr. Angel Sanchez, SDB Simbu, Papua New Guinea – 21st to 22nd of August 2015. In many parts of the Salesian world, the bicentenary of Don Bosco’s birth was celebrated on or before the 16th of August. In the Highlands Region of Papua New ...
    Date2015.08.23 CategoryPGS Reply1 Views2180 file
    Read More
  10. 3716(III)_2015 new Salesian Lay Missionary volunteers coming to the EAO

By Fr. Mark Hyde, Salesian Missions New Rochelle On August 14, Fr. Steve Shafran, provincial of United States Eastern Province (photo, far right), commissioned 13 Salesian Lay Missioners (11 first-time volunteers and two veterans). They wil...
    Date2015.08.23 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views40204 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 ... 537 Next
/ 537