PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1176 Comment 0

20160510_KOR.jpg

Don’t cry for me, Tonj – version 2016! 
From the interview with the ‘Peace Broadcasting’ Korea

By Fr Raphael Lee, SDB

Tonj, South Sudan (AFE), 10 May 2016 - In the footsteps of the late Fr. John Lee (1962-2010), another Korean missionary reached Tonj, South Sudan. Fr. Raphael Lee (57) does honestly confess: ‘during past one year I felt a lot my human limits. In this climate I lost during past 10 months more than 30 kilogram.

Fr. Lee is the third Korean Salesian who reached Tonj, Fr. John Lee left in 2009 and two years later Fr. Henry Woo worked there for one year. Four years later former Korean novice master was sent here on three year agreement between the AFE-Sudan Delegate and KOR provincial.

For Fr. Raphael missionary life was a life-long dream. Already before his priestly ordination did asked his superiors to be sent to the missions, but only at the age of 56 his dream was accomplished. Two years ago a South Sudan missionary Bro. Jim Comino invited him: "If you still think about the missions, come to Tonj!" And now he is a member of 4 Salesian priest strong community (Rector Fr. John Peter). Main mission of his community is the Sacred Heart parish with 8 sub-stations spread in a large territory and responsible also for many education institutions.

What is the most challenging experience in Tonj? The poor living conditions of Tonj mission are not the main obstacle. Fr. Lee was born in the rural zone, soon after the Korean war. He could adjust himself to the difficult living conditions. However a series of cultural shocks was for him the main challenge: children who are stealing with any remorse of conscience the goods from the Salesian house, students who are making continuous noise during his catechism class and similar attitudes not easy compatible with his Korean cultural experience.

Fr. Lee shares: "In the first time I thought they will change their attitude after few kind reminders and I cherished a lot of hope. But later went just the feeling ‘I can’t understand – it’s hopelss!’" At the end those experiences brought him to the truly missionary mentality – "We are here to saw the seeds and somebody else will harvest few years later. Let’s entrust all these headaches to the Lord!" In this way the new-old missionary does slowly discover the necessary missionary spirituality and get closer to God in prayer.

Living for one year in the place of late Fr John Lee he does confess: "I feel that I’m living here as not-so-well-prepared missionary. When are coming some new difficulties, I’m just gazing at John Lee’s photo on the wall and thinking: '15 years ago in this place there were almost nothing, now at least are good infrastructures and the previous missionaries did face much more difficult situation than our community does now.'"

"I have thought already few times about return to Korea, but every time I get this temptation, I face it with the following reflection: ‘Would Jesus just leave this place or stay here?’"

Fr. Raphael dedicates his ‘free time’ to the small vegetable garden behind the Salesian house. Thanks to the seeds sent from benefctors he does grow Tomato, Chili, Cabbage and other useful vegetables. It keeps him busy working and harvesting. "When watching a slow growth of these vegetables, I understand that as a missionary I need a lot of patience to become a small seed in this South Sudan mission of Tonj. God is a farmer and ‘Raphael Lee’ is among his seeds. One day some other Salesian will be able to harvest the fruits!"

We pray that also today many more young Salesians will be able to leave their comfort zone and give their contribution to the oversea missions, like this in South Sudan. Although the material situation is very poor, they would experience the deepest joy that any disciple of Jesus – to share his Gospel at the peripheries. Let’s remember Fr. Lee and hundreds other Salesian Family missionaries working in 43 African countries also today!

20160510_KOR1.jpg

20160510_KOR2.jpg

20160510_KOR3.jpg

20160510_KOR4.jpg

20160510_KOR5.jpg

20160510_KOR6.jpg

20160510_KOR7.jpg

with inevitable malaria

20160510_KOR8.jpg

1 year ago when just before he left Seoul for Tonj

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4001_Theological Symposium on Mercy in Vietnam

By Fr Khanh Quoc, SDB Xuan Hiep, Vietnam, - On the morning of Saturday, May 7th, 2016, the Committee on Academic Affairs of the Province of Vietnam, together with the Theological Institute of Blessed Philip Rinaldi, held the symposium entit...
    Date2016.05.12 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1105 file
    Read More
  2. 4000_Congratulations! AustraLasia over 4000 news!

By Our Own Correspondent Congratulations, 11 May 2016 - Among the most vibrant Salesian news services - AustraLasia news - reached 4000th news item. According Fr. Filiberto Gonzalez, General Councilor for the Social Communications the Austr...
    Date2016.05.11 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views736 file
    Read More
  3. 4006(I)_Cambodia Delegation: Forward and Together

By Fr. Albeiro Rodas, SDB Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 29 April 2016 -- After the visit of the Rector Major to Cambodia, the growing Educative Pastoral Communities of the Delegation sent once more their representatives to a journey of 3 days with ...
    Date2016.05.11 CategoryCamb. Reply1 Views6870 file
    Read More
  4. 3999_EAO missionary practical training in Africa

By Cl. Anthony Lo Po Tak, SDB Lungi, Sierra Leone, 11 May 2016 - "Ow de body?" ("How are you?" in Krio, local language in Sierra Leone) After few months in Ghana (AustraLasia 3770: ) China province 'missionary practical trainee' Anthony, fi...
    Date2016.05.11 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1016 file
    Read More
  5. 3998(II)_Mobile Holy Door in the Diocese of Gizo

Solomon Islands - Mercy for all By ANS Gizo, Solomon Islands, 10 May 2016 - When he announced the Jubilee of Mercy Pope Francis said that a Door of Mercy should be opened in every diocese, "so that everyone will be able to experience the lo...
    Date2016.05.10 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1937 file
    Read More
  6. 3998(I)_Youth Pilgrimage, Tokyo by Night

Salesian Youth Day By Mr. Chihiro Okawa Tokyo, Japan, From 7 to 8 May 2016 - 40 young people involved with the Salesian Family, aged 18 to 30, gathered for the Salesian Youth Day - Night Pilgrim Walk in Tokyo. This pilgrimage on foot was pr...
    Date2016.05.10 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views692 file
    Read More
  7. 3997_Becoming a small seed in African garden

Don’t cry for me, Tonj – version 2016! From the interview with the ‘Peace Broadcasting’ Korea By Fr Raphael Lee, SDB Tonj, South Sudan (AFE), 10 May 2016 - In the footsteps of the late Fr. John Lee (1962-2010), another Korean missionary rea...
    Date2016.05.10 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1176 file
    Read More
  8. 3996(II)_EAO missionary to be ordained deacon in Africa

By Le Ho Quoc Dung Peter, SDB Nairobi, Kenya, 8 May 8 2016 - Greetings from Don Bosco Utume, Salesian Theological College, Nairobi, Kenya, AFE Province. Wow – I’m ready to take this opportunity to share my first five years missionary experi...
    Date2016.05.09 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1507 file
    Read More
  9. 3996(I)_Korea Province animation visit 2016

By Our Own Correspondent Seoul, Korea, 3~8 May 2016 - After the extraordinary visitation of INT (India – Tiruchy) province the EAO Regional Councilor dedicates the whole month of May to the animation visits in six EAO countries (Korea, Mala...
    Date2016.05.09 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views929 file
    Read More
  10. 3995_140th Birthday of the Association of the Salesian Cooperators (1876-2016)

COOPERATORS OF GOD - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! By Mr. Philip Yu, ASC World Councilor for the EAO region ASC, 8 May 2016 - Dear Salesian Cooperators and dear Salesian Family members! The 9th of May 1876 was Ascension Sunday and the Salesian Family rec...
    Date2016.05.08 CategoryASC Reply1 Views1275 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 ... 539 Next
/ 539