austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20160409_KOR.jpg

By Fr Bonaventura Kim, SDB

Seoul, Korea, April 9, 2016 - Following the Strenna 2016 about the Adventure in the Spirit, during the Easter season of we share personal experience of spiritual direction from different EAO provinces. Thanks to all younger generation Salesians who contribute!

Today's sharing is from Korea: Fr. Bonaventura Kim is a newly appointed rector of Seoul – Dae Rim Dong formation house after finishing his MA degree in Rome – UPS in Salesian spirituality.

How did you prepare yourself for the task of spiritual direction?

During my studies at the UPS-Rome University I was very interested in the spiritual accompaniment theme, especially in the spiritual accompaniment role of the rector. As regards the academic courses I did the Course for Spiritual Guides and Formation of Formators (4th semester) and one full year of Salesian spirituality during my Licentiate (MA degree) studies.

As a former student of the international Salesian Pontifical University (UPS) in Rome how do you perceive the need of Spiritual direction in the whole Congregation?

Our Salesian Charism was born within the environment of spiritual accompaniment of the young, who were helped to follow Jesus on their ‘way of salvation’ (holiness) through guidance of the consecrated Salesians. A concrete accompaniment on this way towards holiness is the ‘spiritual guide’. However first point of interest of the spiritual guide are not the young people, but the ‘soul of the young people on their way of salvation.

During my studies at the UPS-Rome I reflected few times about the Salesian life and Korean situation. Our Youth Ministry is always concrete and practical. However since it’s about pastoral, it can fall in a trap – danger, to become more ‘efficient’ or ‘business minded’. In order to avoid this danger we need to focus on the personal growth and holiness of each confrere. This is the key to the future. Not only for our young people, but also for the consecrated Salesians the ‘growth and holiness’ is a life-long lasting goal. In this life-long process the accompaniment by the fraternal community helps us to become God’s instrument and sacrament of salvation.

How do feel the need or desire for the spiritual direction of fellow Salesians with whom you are or have been in touch during last few years?

For the each Salesian confrere the Constitutions, Charisma of the Founder or Salesian Tradition form the path towards holiness. In order to live our Constitutions we need both the community accompaniment as well the personal guidance. Every Salesian confrere does need for his growth some guide. Only with this help we are able to make a true relationship with God, with my community, with our youth: since in all these relationship is involved my person, it’s very difficult to see myself in the right – more objective light. In order to see my true self, I always need one companion on the journey, not only the ‘group – community’ companion, but also one concrete person with whom my growth towards the holiness becomes easier!

Could you share some meaningful experience from your study years?

During the study at the UPS in Rome I met many virtuous senior confreres. When I met confreres full of loving kindness, enriching with work and temperance, characterized by creativity and flexibility or by a strong family spirit in their daily life, then I understood once again that Oratory is not ‘place’ but a ‘life attitude’.

Finally, any sharing for Salesian rectors or formators?

Although in the Salesian tradition the spiritual accompaniment by the community is important, we can’t dismiss the necessity of personal accompaniment. The importance of the friendly talk, started by Don Bosco is enshrined in the SDB 1984 Constitutions, that ask to meet ‘frequently’ the rector. Compared to other religious congregations also the content of the friendly talk is ‘more spiritual’. For this reason I hope that we are able to maximize the personal talk with the superior for each confrere as the ‘opportunity to grow’. In our tradition the rector is a father, teacher and spiritual guide. Our Handbook ‘The Salesian Rector’ (ed. 1986) does require to established community environment that supports this role. It does mean, that the ownership of the ‘friendly talk’ (C70) is in the hands of each confrere. We need to establish this environment of trust, so that the ‘not expressed’ (usually spiritual part of our life) may be also shared.

20160409_KOR1.jpg

During the installment to the rector of the house

20160409_KOR2.jpg

With the aspirants 

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5458(II)_Don Bosco Health Centre - Gumbo - Juba (South Sudan)

ALA_5458 Gumbo, Juba, South Sudan, 31 August 2020 -- At the Don Bosco centre at Juba (South Sudan), where we have a school, a Vocational Training Centre (TVET), a Parish, a Refugee Camp for 15,000 Internally Displaced People (IDP), the Car...
    Date2020.08.31 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views566 file
    Read More
  2. 5458(I)_Inspiring joint meeting of Salesian Cooperators and Past Pupils - Mongolia

ALA_5458 By our own correspondent Online with Ulanbaatar, 30 August 2020 -- On the evening of 29 August (Saturday), the Asia-Oceania GEX regional councillor Mr. Niel Evangelista with his Assistant Mr Andre Launio and world delegate for Pas...
    Date2020.08.31 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views450 file
    Read More
  3. 5457_Attracted by Jesus and Don Bosco - the missionary vocation path

ALA_5457 Interview with an Indian missionary in Italy - Cl. Anthony Panmei By Interview with Cl. Anthony Panmei (Indian missionary in Italy-ICC province) Rome, 29 August 2020 -- As is the case each year, new missionaries ad gentes were sen...
    Date2020.08.29 CategoryWorld Reply1 Views671 file
    Read More
  4. 5456(II)_Follow-up to the EAO vocation ministry meeting (1)

ALA_5456 By our own correspondent EAO, 28 August 2020 -- Two weeks after the memorable first EAO regional vocation ministry online meeting we are able to harvest the fruits. First of all, to our great surprise, on just the following day (1...
    Date2020.08.28 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views5180 file
    Read More
  5. 5456(I)_A Christian Call to Reflection and Action in Covid19 times

ALA_5456 Serving the Wounded World - Interreligious solidarity By our own correspondent Vatican City and WCC, 28 August 2020 -- The Vatican 'Pontifical Council for Inter-religious Dialogue' together with the World Council of Churches (WCC)...
    Date2020.08.28 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views388 file
    Read More
  6. 5455_Salesian Cooperators, Vietnam celebrate Silver Jubilee Year

ALA_5455 (1995-2020) By Mr. Le Huu Phuoc, ASC Salesian Cooperator Province, Vietnam, 27 August 2020 -- In 2020, the Salesian Cooperators Association of Vietnam celebrates the 25th anniversary of establishment and development (1995-2020). O...
    Date2020.08.27 CategoryASC Reply0 Views495 file
    Read More
  7. 5454(II)_With Don Bosco Green Alliance follow Pope Francis

ALA_5454 By Don Bosco Green Alliance - EAO network EAO, 26 August 2020 -- Thanks to the Don Bosco Green Alliance (DBGA), the Salesians in 313 Don Bosco-Salesian institutions living in 63 countries are deeply involved in Pope Francis' 'Laud...
    Date2020.08.26 CategoryEAO Reply1 Views4728 file
    Read More
  8. 5454(I)_First team visit to South Asia Past Pupils of DB – New Delhi Federation

ALA_5454 By our own correspondent New Delhi-Ho Chi Minh City-Manila-Rome, 26 August 2020 -- So far, it has been the meeting involving most from among the 7 provinces of the Past Pupils of Don Bosco Asia-Oceania team visits – first among th...
    Date2020.08.26 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views466 file
    Read More
  9. 5453(II)_Australia-Pacific province celebrates SMD 2020: August 15 - September 15

ALA_5453 "Like ships, Salesians are not built for safe harbour!" By Fr Will Matthews Provincial Australia-Pacific Melbourne, Australia, 25 August 2020 -- We are happy to share the ongoing experience of Salesian Mission Day 2020 within the ...
    Date2020.08.25 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views389 file
    Read More
  10. 5453(I)_Port Moresby's DBTI Integrated Waste Management Project

ALA_5453 By Fr. Ariel Macatangay SDB DBTI Economer Port Moresby, PNG, 25 August 2020 -- A confluence of factors contributed to make us initiate an Integrated Waste Management Plan this year at Don Bosco Technological Institute (DBTI). Firs...
    Date2020.08.25 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views638 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 ... 537 Next
/ 537