PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 689 Comment 0

20170522_ITM.jpg

Young generation of Timorese Salesians in Los Palos

By Fr. Tomas de Carvalho, SDB
Rector, Los Palos prenovitiate

Los Palos, Timor Leste, 20 May 2017 -- More than 30 prenovices coming from two senior Aspirantates (Dili – Comoro Centec and Fatumaca Secondary School) entered in January 2017 the pre-novitiate of Los Palos. Until next November 2017 they are accompanied by the Salesian community with Rector Fr. Tomas De Carvalho, three priests and 3 assistants (one deacon and two clerics). At present there are in Los Palos 26 prenovices, aged 18-23 years, exposed to complete Salesian setting of a missionary parish, orphanage, Oratory with a not-so-distant Salesian Agricultural school in Fuiloro.

Interview with two of the prenovices offers an insight in the soul of the young Salesian generations of Timor Leste: prenovice Adao (20 years) is coming from Dili Aspirantate (candidates from non-Salesian setting) and prenovices Denilson (19 years) is coming from the Fatumaca Salesian Aspirantate – senior high school.

How did you encounter Jesus in your life?

I met Jesus in my family, since my childhood – we are eight children and I’m the sixth. My inspiration was the family that brought me in the Catholic Church and my parents and Salesians helped me to meet Jesus. I didn’t meet Jesus face to face, but through the Salesian Brothers and Priest.

I met Jesus through the Word of God and through the good attitude of other people around me. We are 7 siblings in my own family and the foster family that takes care about me from my childhood, since I have moved to Dili when I was three months old.

How did you encounter Don Bosco in your life?

Growing in the Salesian environment with Fr. Manuel Fraile and Br. Jose Ribeiro, I met Don Bosco through the Salesian missionaries. When I saw the Salesian missionaries I start question myself: Why other country people come and serve us, why not me? It was main attraction.

I met Don Bosco through my family, where are Bosconians and continued with the Salesian education, first in the FMA elementary school (Maria Auxiliadora – Dili, Comoro), then junior high school (SDB Venilale) and finally in secondary school (SDB Fatumaca). I was always an average student.

The most beautiful memories from the Aspirants life in Fatumaca or Dili-Comoro?

I have entered the Salesian house only in 2016, Dili, Comoro – Centec (Vocation training center) and we were 33 at that time. As aspirant I had the responsibilities in the Oratory games and in the VTC, as the leader of the aspirants, elected by our batch. But already before I have graduated elementary and junior high public schools and San Pedro senior high school in the Salesian parish of Comoro.

In the Aspirantate I met Deacon Balthazar and Fr. Locatelli – senior missionaries and get know the social and evangelizing work of the Salesians in Fatumaca. In the senior high school – Aspirantate in Fatumaca I was elected a leader of the student council president for one year. I’m deeply attracted by the person of Don Bosco, his sanctity and his life given for the young.

What makes you happy in the pre-novitiate?

I have enjoyed all activities in the pre-novitiate. When I feel down, I go for a short adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and get new energy and power from Jesus. I’m also facing the difficulty of studies, with English, Italian and Portuguese.

The experience of Los Palos are both– joyful and sad. I’m happy that I can related to many different kind of people in the community and in the apostolate. But sometimes I don’t’ know how to relate to girls. When I’m involved in the pastoral activities of the Oratory in Los Palos, there are few boys and majority are girls and their female animators. I’m enriched by the community prayer of Lauds and by the Eucharist, when we eat and work together with the Salesians. Fr Rolando is my model, since he does insist to be a friend with the boys and challenged us to look for the boys to bring them to the Oratory. When we organize the games in the Oratory our youth join, but when it comes to prayers and catechism they escape. We don’t force them but just remind them.

What is your dream as future Salesians of Timor Leste?

I dream to work with the youth in need, like the orphans in Los Palos, knowing them name by name. I want to become a good Salesian Priest, although I considered to be a Brother. I have a dream to be a missionary one day in the future.

Yes, we dream to have more means for our formation in the prenovitiate: we would need some more books in English and Portuguese, some more musical instruments and computers in order to learn the basic skills we need in the youth ministry.

Related articles:

• 4231 (I) Dili - Centec,
  • 4248 (I) - Los Palos

• 20170522_ITM1.jpg

20170522_ITM2.jpg

20170522_ITM3.jpg

20170522_ITM4.jpg

20170522_ITM5.jpg

20170522_ITM6.jpg

20170522_ITM7.jpg

20170522_ITM8.jpg

20170522_ITM9.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6299_Rector Major and the General Councillors arrived in K' Long Retreat Center

By Viet SocCom K'Long, Vietnam, 14 February 2024 -- At 5:20 p.m. on 13 February 2024, the Rector Major and the General Councillors arrived at Lien Khuong Airport, Da Lat, Lam Dong. The Provincial of Don Bosco VietNam, Fr Barnabas Le An ...
      Date2024.02.14 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views187 file
      Read More
    2. 6298_Welcome: The Rector Major and General Councillors visit Vietnam

By Viet SocCom HCM City, Vietnam, 14 February 2024 -- At 1:20 p.m. on 13 February 2024, The Rector Major - Fr Angel Fernandez Artime and the General Councillors arrived at Tan Son Nhat Airport, Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam, and visited the Pr...
      Date2024.02.14 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views108 file
      Read More
    3. 6297_TVET Encounter Returns

By Mac Goli Makati City, the Philippines, 12 February 2024 -- The TVET (Technical and Vocational Education and Training) Encounter makes its official comeback after a five-year hiatus, bringing together students from FIN TVET Centers. This ...
      Date2024.02.13 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views56 file
      Read More
    4. 6296_Inspiring Faith and Celebration: Don Bosco Gabutu's Holy Spirit Mass and School Year Opening

By Leo Paraha Don Bosco Gabutu, Port Moresby, PNG, 12 February 2024 -- His Eminence Sir John Cardinal Ribat, Archbishop of Port Moresby, delivered a powerful message during the Holy Spirit Mass and Official Opening of the School year 2024, ...
      Date2024.02.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views66 file
      Read More
    5. 6295_KOR's Salesian Summer School of Faith to Resume

By Soccom Korea Daejeon, Korea, 12 February 2024 -- The Salesian Summer School of Faith, which has provided profound faith experiences and unforgettable memories for middle and high school students in each parish, will resume in the summer ...
      Date2024.02.13 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views88 file
      Read More
    6. 6294_Salesian Youth Build A Weirs To Slow Down Water

Caring for our common home By THA SC Hatyai, Thailand, 13 February 2024 -- 2 February 2024, 53 Mathayom 1 students (Grade 7) in the SME program of Saengthong Vitthaya School (Salesian) and Thidanukroh School (Salesian Sisters) Songkhla Prov...
      Date2024.02.13 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views338 file
      Read More
    7. 6293_First profession of Caritas Sisters of Jesus in Africa - Uganda

By Sr. Gloria Kim, CSJ, Uganda Kampala, Uganda, 7 February 2024 -- A truly historic moment for the 14th Group of the Salesian Family, Caritas Sisters of Jesus, was the first profession of their first African members in Namugongo formation h...
      Date2024.02.07 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views98 file
      Read More
    8. 6292_FIS - Voices for Mary

By Jazel Obineta-Bautista ArchSOLL, Cebu City, the Philippines, 7 February 2024 -- The night of 4 February 2024 was filled with music and songs in honor of our Blessed Mother, Our Lady of Lourdes. Nine different parish choirs and music grou...
      Date2024.02.07 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views78 file
      Read More
    9. 6291_Opening Ceremony and blessing of the Lunar New Year's Eve stalls for Hong Kong Tang King Po College

By Hong Kong Tang King Po College Tang King Po College, Hong Kong, China, 6 February 2024 -- Fr. Carlos Cheung presided at the blessing of the Lunar New Year's Eve stalls in Victoria Park, Hong Kong. Together with the Principal, Miss Tr...
      Date2024.02.06 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views142 file
      Read More
    10. 6290_Dreaming the Communication Path for EAO in 2024

By Keith Amodia FIS Social Communication Coordinator EAO Zoom Online Meeting, 5 February 2024 -- Twelve communicators gathered online from the East Asia - Oceania Region to welcome the new provincial delegates of Social Communication and di...
      Date2024.02.06 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views196 file
      Read More
    List
    Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 537 Next
    / 537