Hong Kong Diocese started the Year of Youth 2018
From the Advent Message
Rev. Michael Yeung - Bishop of Hong Kong
Hong Kong, 12 January 2018 -- "In this season of expectant hope, it is also right and fitting that I should, once again, stress the importance of continuing, with renewed faith and love my engagement and dialogue with our young people. You, the young people, are our hope! I recall the words of St. Paul to the young Timothy: “Let no one look down on your youthfulness…” (1 Timothy 4:12). To all our youth.. I have been meeting since last August, I say from the bottom of my heart: Thank you!
Thank you for your initiative and your enthusiastic, courageous and creative response to the call of the Church in so many different ways.
I humbly pray that the Lord will give me “a listening heart” (1 Kings 3:9).
You have given me much to listen to and food for thought. The following are just a few examples of what you have told me so frankly:
- You long for a Church which is more outreaching;
- You desire more transparency in Church affairs;
- You ask for a greater and more active participation, as well as platforms for dialogue, training and in caring for the poor and the needy;
- You want the Diocese to follow up on World Youth Day or Asian Youth Day, lest such events as these just become fireworks in the sky or a flash in a pan;
- You need more caring support and accompaniment and thirst for continuing catechesis, spiritual formation and capacity-building;
- You want the Church to tap and make available more resources;
- You want in particular a Special Sunday Collection every year to be earmarked and used for youth ministry;
- You want the Diocese to improve its audio-visual work and make better use of digital contacts to reach out to youth in this digital age.
Let me say here at once that personally I agree with you. I shall, with God’s help and yours, in consultation and with the cooperation of all... make every effort to achieve what you have suggested.
In line with the Pope Francis’ exhortation and in order to complement the 2018 Synod on Young People, Faith and Vocational Discernment, the Diocese has decided, and I hereby declare that 2018 shall be for the Catholic Diocese of Hong Kong the Year of Youth. ... May God bless you all and your loved ones!
Prayer for the Year of Youth 2018
Almighty and merciful Father,
bless our young people's
o that they may grow in your love,
be able to distinguish between good and evil,
hold fast to the truth,
and have the courage to take responsibility and
the readiness to share.
Sustain them in their difficulties, and
in their doubts and uncertainties,
accompany them and bring them your comfort.
Lord, we ask you to help young people to respond
to the particular calling that you have for each one of them.
May they shine forth in the world as Christians
and achieve a life which is fulfilling.
We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.
(Composed by Bishop Joseph Ha, OFM – Auxiliary Bishop of Hong Kong)