Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20170511_PGS.jpg

Araimiri Parish - Living the periphery of PNG

By Fr. Joseph Thanh, SDB
PGS Viceprovince

Araimiri, PNG, 11 May 2017 -- The name "ARAIMIRI" is quite familiar and popular to every Salesians and volunteers who have had experience in Papua New Guinea. It is a HISTORY, since it is the first mission establishment of the Salesians in PGS Vice Province today.

Because it is history, it always carries both ups and downs, thorns and thrones, grieves and glories, crosses and crowns. My first assignment here in this historical place was 2003 as a brother. After 14 years I am happy to come back here as parish priest. I am grateful to this place for the many endurance and perseverance of many Salesians who have been working so hard in order to 'survive' and to maintain it.

The great challenge for this history is because it is not built on stone or in the cave, but on sand and sea both literally and figuratively speaking. It is old in time but it always remains young and fragile. It always needs to renew and rebuild again and again in all aspects of life in which include Christian faith, education, economic, politics, etc... Due to these reasons, the area always remains as a forgotten, abandoned and neglected place in all politically, economically and religiously... On the other hand, the isolation of the area becomes an obstacle for the people to contact with the world outside the village life so that they can learn the other new ways of doing things, ways of thinkings and behaviors, ways of lives... from their own fellow countrymen/women who belong to the city and other provinces. This also drives the people to the lacking of motivation to develop, change and create.

I am enjoying living the rural lifestyle with the villagers: eat the local foods, stay in the leaf house. It is so interesting to the house that every time it rains, the waters will run through underneath of the house. At night as I lie down to sleep I can hear the strong winds blow, the waves roaring I feel the village I am living is too small to the nature. If God does not control the winds and waves, for sure, the village will be blown away or washed to the sea anytime. However, God is always good to his children. Trust in God's love and care everyday, I believe God is always here with us. Though the political and religious leaders might abandon us, but you Lord never forget and neglect us.

Understanding the Christian community is young and fragile, I won't take things for granted. I teach them how to respond in the Mass starting with children and youth, advice and instruct them the next steps in their Christian life after their Baptism. It is quite hard and challenge at the beginning but I believe the prayers have power and put all my trust in the Divine Mercy of Jesus and the intercession of Mary Help of Christians, our parish Patronage. In this month of May, month of Mary, I invite the whole parish offer prayers and devotion to Mary Help of Christians with 9 days Novena in different small Christian communities. The grace we need most in our parish now is renewal and conversion. Please join with us in your prayers for this intention.

As conclusion, many missionaries come and go from this historical place of Salesian mission, the place may not change much, but the people are still remaining in the place. They are remaining in the history of the Salesian mission. For the Salesians, the mission history is never old but it is always new to everyone and every time. We don't place the mission history in the museum but we always make the history alive. We are grateful for the past, live for the present and hope for the future. May the intercession of Our Mother Mary Help of Christians guide us.

Advance Happy Feast of Mary Help of Christians to one and all!

20170511_PGS1.jpg

20170511_PGS2.jpg

20170511_PGS3.jpg

20170511_PGS4.jpg

20170511_PGS5.jpg

20170511_PGS6.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4410(III)_PNG Power technicians undergo training at DBTI

By Ms. Arlene Abital and Mr. Karl David Valmonte Port Moresby, PNG, 16 June 2017 -- Seventeen PNG Power Ltd. technicians have utilized the Maintenance Fitting and Machining facilities at Don Bosco Technological Institute (DBTI), Boroko from...
    Date2017.06.16 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1218 file
    Read More
  2. 4406(I)_The Sacred Heart of Jesus - Hope for the hopeless

By Fr. Joseph Thanh, SDB Araimiri, PNG, 12, June 2017 -- During the past weeks, the Mary Help of Christians Parish Araimiri joyfully and gratefully welcomed a significant number of newly baptized in the parish. They are total of 55, young a...
    Date2017.06.12 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views718 file
    Read More
  3. 4402(I)_Play with courage, live with faith

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 2 June 2017 -- Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu, Port Moresby, held the Opening of its annual Intramurals on the 2nd June, 2017. This yearly event had for its theme: ‘Play with Courage, Live ...
    Date2017.06.08 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views963 file
    Read More
  4. 4398(III)_"I was attracted by youth ministry!"

The Vocation story of Thomas Warwara By Asp. Thomas Warwara Port Moresby, PNG, 3 June 2017 -- Life is a journey, lived with family, friends, neighbours and the environment. One can only plan and live his or her life well with fervent prayer...
    Date2017.06.03 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1152 file
    Read More
  5. 4392_Let's be Communicators of Faith and Hope

Fact or Fiction: The truth in the Media By Mrs. Cecilia Amala Port Moresby, PNG, 29 MAy 2017 -- World Communications Day was celebrated on 28th May, 2017, with a thanksgiving Eucharistic celebration at the Shrine of Mary Help of Christians,...
    Date2017.05.29 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1104 file
    Read More
  6. 4389(II)_DBTS honours Mary, the Mother and Protectress of our family

By Mr Narol Sapak and Fr. Angel Sanchez, SDB Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea -- On the 24th of May 2017, the Educative Pastoral Community of Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu, gathered to celebrate the Feast of Mary Help of Christians at he...
    Date2017.05.26 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1012 file
    Read More
  7. 4388(I)_Celebrations at Mary Help of Christians Parish, Sabama

By Mrs. Violet Ikupu, ASC Port Moresby, PNG, 24 May 2017 -- The parish of Mary Help of Christians, Sabama had a nice celebration on 21st May, 2017. It was held in the community playing field of Pari, a mass centre of the parish. Nearly 700 ...
    Date2017.05.24 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views4953 file
    Read More
  8. 4381(I)_Missions Group

Members of the Missions group, from left to right: Joshua Tarere, Michael Tuka, Peter Kamara, Pius Yawalele, Fr. Alfred Maravilha, Fr. Pedro Sachitula, Justine Mautu, and Raphael Gobi Savio Haus Aspirantate, PGS By Fr. Pedro Sachitula, SDB ...
    Date2017.05.16 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views32569 file
    Read More
  9. 4379(III)_Living story of Araimiri - built on sand and sea

Araimiri Parish - Living the periphery of PNG By Fr. Joseph Thanh, SDB PGS Viceprovince Araimiri, PNG, 11 May 2017 -- The name "ARAIMIRI" is quite familiar and popular to every Salesians and volunteers who have had experience in Papua New G...
    Date2017.05.11 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views897 file
    Read More
  10. 4379(II)_Growing in human formation and Salesian spirituality

Araimiri Parish - Living the periphery of PGN By Sr. Marivel Monteveros, FMA Deputy Principal DBSTC Port Moresby, PNG, 6 May 2017 -- The Deputy Principals of Don Bosco schools and colleges of the vice-province of PNG/SI gathered at the Emma...
    Date2017.05.11 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1028 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 54 Next
/ 54