EAO Salesian Brothers are looking towards the future
K’Long, Vietnam, 10 August 2018 -- Day 2 of the EAO Salesian Brother Congress was open in the wonderful silence of the morning meditation and Mass with integrated Lauds. The festive Eucharist of St. Deacon Lawrence, martyr was well animated by joint FIN-FIS provinces, with the homily of Fr. Joseph Quang (VIE provincial).
Due to the passing typhoon the whole day was rainy but without a strong wind. Family spirit of the Congress was expressed also in the celebrations of 50th Birthday of Fr. Manuel Pinto (TLS) and Feastday of Bro. Lawrence Bang (KOR) at the central stage with careful accompaniment by the VIE organizers. The VIE soc.com. center showed the first video product: personal and province group interviews.
Before the first assembly was also delivered a message from the only SDB bishop in Vietnam, Mons. Peter De (Thai Binh diocese) - pointing at the need to know deeper our Salesian consecration in two forms, qualify the Brothers in both professional and pastoral field, foster more Brothers friendly provincial community environment.
The first morning session was moderated by Bro. Raymond Callo (FIN) and was a follow up - sharing of the Day 1 mixed group workshops - interpreting the rich materials collected from all 12 provinces: Who we are? - Community and complementarity - Ongoing formation - Vocation promotion - Vocation discernment. Each of the 16 groups presented their 150 words summary of their 2 hours sharing summary of the previous day. Then followed very interesting interaction in the large Assembly with few final points of Fr. Ivo and Br. Jean Paul.
Second session started only after province group photos with the 4 General Councilors. Brother Jean Paul Muller in his bold and challenging talk (full text on the Boscolink) invited all present Salesians to be more open to their social-cultural-religous context and accept these challenges for their preparation within the fast changing EAO context.
Bro. Jean Paul in his vibrant presentation introduced the following profile of Salesian Brother (for the future) in these terms:
- Salesian Brother is a man of God and man of the World
- Salesian Brother as Seismograph (Sensor) of fast changing world and culture
- Salesian Brother as part of the solution and not part of the problems inside
- Salesian Brother is a Leader
- Salesian Brother as Missionary 24 h/ 7 days a week in the multi-religious Asian context
- Salesian Brother: Apostle who makes the Difference
- Salesian Brother: Guide and Teacher from Noviciate to the Funeral
- Salesian Brother as Apostle of Human rights
- Salesian Brother as Apostle of Peace-making and conflict prevention
- Salesian Brother as Apostle of Promoting Laudato Si (Pope Francis)
- Salesian Brother as Apostle of Salesian Values: family spirit
- Salesian Brother as Apostle of Anti-corruption and of Social Teaching
- Salesian Brother as the personalized Preventive system of Don Bosco today
And the second session continued with province group sharing in the various 16 places of the large Don Bosco retreat house. The whole afternoon of this day is offered to getting know the Vietnamese cultur and society with the help of young people and Salesian Cooperators and for other confrere as guided visit to the 3 Salesian houses in this Duc Truong district with a more than 40 years long Salesian presences.
Available video of the 7th EAO Salesian Brother Congress
- VIE provincial’s Interview
- Br. Muller’s Interview
- FIS Group Interview
- Day 1: Eucharist
- Fellowship Night
Happy Birthday and Feast Day fo St. Lawrence!
Bro. Tsubaki (GIA) 22 years and Bro. Dong (CIN) 87 years young: the youngest and most senior participants of the Congress