PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1386 Comment 1
20180606_KOR.jpg

Missionary Journey of Fr. Jose Maria Blanco

By Fr. José María Blanco, SDB
Spanish missionary in Korea

Seoul, Korea, 6 May 2018 -- I was born in Madrid in 1930, into a fervent Christian family. In the Lent of 1945 I came across a book called "Volunteers". It narrated stories of missionaries and had a few pages of explanation on vocation. I read the book out of curiosity and I was immediately fascinated. It opened up to me unsuspected horizons full of charm. I discovered the value of a life spent in following Jesus and spreading his Gospel. When I went to the school chapel after that and knelt near the Tabernacle, I thought of the words of Jesus to the apostles: "Come and follow me." I recalled Saint Francis Xavier, who died at the age of 43 after a life of preaching the Gospel.

While in the novitiate I applied to go to the missions. The day after my Religious Profession, the provincial read out the names of those accepted. Of the 63 newly professed, 32 were announced for South America. My name was missing. I was sad, but the provincial continued, "And this year, four of the newly professed will go to Japan," and read out the names. The third name was mine. I was stunned. I went straight from the dining hall to the chapel and wept out of emotion.

I arrived in Japan in January 1950. Obedience sent me later to Korea. I arrived there on Friday, March 30, 1962. I was appointed an assistant parish priest in the suburbs of Seoul, in the parish of San Giovanni Bosco. That afternoon the Christians made the Way of the Cross. Everyone knelt on the wooden floor, the men to the right, the women to the left, leaving a corridor in the centre of the church. After the Way of the Cross, many stayed on for night prayers. The next morning, after Mass too, many people stayed back to pray, and we meditated with them, sitting on the floor.

The first days were difficult, but slowly I realized that everything had been a gift from Heaven. The Christians gave us an example of prayer, sitting on the floor near the tabernacle. They helped us also to a life of sharing in poverty, with patience, hope and joy. They loved us very much. One of the bigger challenges I faced was the language. I had already learned Japanese and now I started with Korean, which was more complex. Another challenge is that, even at this moment, Catholics are only (already!) 10% of the population.

It also hurts me to see Korea, even now, divided into two separate nations. The greatest joys I have experienced have been the baptisms of catechumens and the religious profession of novices. It is also a joy to see the progress that Korea has made. It used to be a very poor nation. Now, thanks to the work culture and organizational skills of Koreans, it is a nation where you see order, progress and a dignified standard of living. Everyone is willing to share their wealth with poorer nations.

I would like to remind young people who wish to become missionaries that the foundation of a life of personal prayer, a joyful community life and all our activities, is the Love of Jesus, truly present in the Most Holy Eucharist. We need to visit the Blessed Sacrament every day. Furthermore, we cultivate with gratitude a devotion to the Virgin and pray the Rosary, as Don Bosco taught us to.

We try to live with a heart always open to the good examples and lessons of others, especially the poor. Once Mathew, a poor old Christian, asked me how I would summarize the Gospel into just a few words. I immediately started to explain, mentioning some essential elements. Good old Mathew listened to me patiently. Finally, he said, "Don’t you think you were a little long?" And I said to him, "Well, then, tell me how you would do it in fewer words.” And Matthew said, "For me the Gospel is this: ‘If someone slaps you on the right cheek, present him the left.’”

20180606_KOR1.jpg

20180606_KOR2.jpg

20180606_KOR3.jpg

20180606_KOR4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • drans 2018.06.18 15:46

Loving Jesus in holy perseverance after the example of St. John Bosco

1. 4748(II)_68 Years of Missionary Life in East Asia

Missionary Journey of Fr. Jose Maria Blanco By Fr. José María Blanco, SDB Spanish missionary in Korea Seoul, Korea, 6 May 2018 -- I was born in Madrid in 1930, into a fervent Christian family. In the Lent of 1945 I came across a book called...
    Date2018.06.06 CategoryKOR Reply1 Views1386 file
    Read More
  2. 4748(I)_"I do my best and God will do the rest"

Interview with Br. Joseph Cheung By Our Own Correspondent Hong Kong, 5 June 2018 -- One life time spent in the education mission What fills your heart with joy as Salesian Brother? My heart is filled with joy as I have been professed as a S...
    Date2018.06.06 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1142 file
    Read More
  3. 4747(II)_100 village school dream remain part of Salesian history

74 village schools built in South Sudan South Korea Mission Office By Fr. Raphael Lee, SDB Mission Office Director Seoul, Korea, 5 May 2018 -- In the monthly letter to the benefactors, donors and friend of Don Bosco, the Director of "DON BO...
    Date2018.06.05 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1283 file
    Read More
  4. 4747(I)_Mini market held at Don Bosco Darkhan

By Fr. Antony Kishore, SDB Darkhan, Mongolia, 2 June 2018 -- Don Bosco Darkhan opened a mini market for the children of the surrounding area. Around 100 children from all over Darkhan came to have fun in the market. Various types of indoor ...
    Date2018.06.05 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views1301 file
    Read More
  5. 4746(II)_8 New Ordained Deacons of VietNam province

By Hai Van, SDB Xuan Hiep, Vietnam, 2 June 2018 -- Last Saturday morning at 6:30, 8 Salesians of Rinaldi formation house were ordained to Deaconate by Most Rev. Chau Ngoc Tri, Bishop of Lang Son diocese, at Xuan Hiep parish. Present at the ...
    Date2018.06.04 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1918 file
    Read More
  6. 4746(I)_“Pray a Hail Mary each day for their vocation”

FIN - Zepherin Vocation Camp 2018 By Fr. Donnie Duchin Duya, SDB Batangas, the Philippines, 1 June 2018 -- The FIN Province organized a vocation camp for young people coming from various Don Bosco and non-Don Bosco settings from 29 May unti...
    Date2018.06.04 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views2239 file
    Read More
  7. 4745(III)_New Bishop Elect of Saitama, Japan

Provincial of Japan, Fr. Mario Yamanouchi, appointed as Bishop By Our Own Correspondent Vatican -- Today, on 2 June 2018, Pope Francis has appointed as bishop of the diocese of Saitama, Japan, Fr Mario Michiaki Yamanouchi, S.D.B., currently...
    Date2018.06.03 CategoryGIA Reply3 Views12281 file
    Read More
  8. 4745(II)_Always and forever a proud Bosconian

Don Bosco Simbu Technical College Celebrates Salesian Mission Day By Mr. D. Kagl Kumgi, PNG, 1 June 2018 -- Back in 1815 16th August, a seed falls on the earth. It’s a seed with great and promising future. The seed will bloom and spread acr...
    Date2018.06.03 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views863 file
    Read More
  9. 4745(I)_A new Salesian presence in the North of Vietnam

By Ngọc Phat, SDB Lang Son, Vietnam, 24 May 2018 -- According to the invitation of the Rector Major, and in the spirit of the feast of Mary Help of Christians of this year in the year celebrating 150th year of the Basilica of Mary Help of C...
    Date2018.06.03 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views886 file
    Read More
  10. 4744(II)_Why is the Salesian Brother absolutely necessary in each community?

China province Brothers prepare for the 2018 EAO Congress By Bro. Francis Lam Ying, SDB Hong Kong, 1 June 2018 -- Also Salesian Brothers of the mother province (1906 - arrival of Fr. Versiglia to Macau) are in full swing with the preparatio...
    Date2018.06.02 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1540 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 ... 532 Next
/ 532