Text byour own correspondent
FMA, world and EAO, 6 August 2021 -- 5 August is the FMA (Salesian Sisters or Daughters of Mary Help of Christians or simply 'Don Bosco Sisters') Foundation Day. This year Mother General Sr Yvonne Reunagoat also released a special message from their birthplace in Mornese (Italy) on this occasion - just one year before their great 150th Jubilee celebration (1872-2022).
5 August is also a special day around the EAO region for remembering and celebrating the FMA 'Jubilarians' who have faithfully born witness to their Salesian apostolic consecration for the past 50-60-70 for the benefit of young people. Among them is also Sr Lina Chiandotto (CYM viceprovince of Cambodia-Myanmar, celebrating 70 years of religious life).
5 August is also a day of first professions: in Phnom Penh (Cambodia) FMA sisters witnessed the profession of the first ever FMA from Singapore, Sr Charlene Chua; in Sampran (Thailand) first profession of Sr Agnese Thanacha Sothon and in Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) FMA province celebrated first profession of 12 new sisters: Sr Ann Lan Chi, Sr Ann Huyen, Sr Ann Que, Sr Maria Bich, Sr Maria Hien, Sr Maria Ngan, Sr Maria Oanh, Sr Maria Nhi, Sr Maria Thu, Sr Sr Teresa Lan, Sr Teresa Nguyen and Sr Teresa Tinh.
5 August is (last but not least) a traditional day of perpetual professions at Mornese, the birthplace of the FMA Institute during the Eucharist celebrated by the Rector Major. This year 4 of the 5 sisters who committed themselves forever in Mornese come from the EAO region and one from Africa. Really worthy celebration of the 149th!
According the 'FMA Elenco 2021' (vol II) there are on Jan 1, 2020
Within our EAO region:
FMA sisters are present in 13 countries and 9 provinces: 1259 sisters + 45 novices
CIN (53 sisters), CSM (96 sisters+2 novices), CYM (62 sisters+2 novices), FIL (148 sister+5 novices), GIA (197 sisters), Korea (262 sisters+3 novices), THA (81 sisters+1 novice), TIN (95 sisters+4 novices), VIE (259 sisters+25 novices) and South Pacific region (43 sisters+3 novices).
Worldwide FMA Congregation:
- 79 provinces, 1353 houses in 97 nations.
- 790 temporary and 10.742 perpetually professed sisters (total 11.532 FMA) with 309 novices.
- Africa - 26 countries (616 FMA + 49 novices)
- America - 23 countries (3478 FMA + 65 novices)
- Asia - 22 countries (2646 FMA + 171 novices)
- Europe - 22 countries (4851 FMA + 21 novices)
- Oceania - 4 countries (55 FMA + 3 novices)
- First profession of Sr. Charlene Chua (from Singapore) in Phnom Penh (Cambodia) - Aug5
- Perpetual profession of 4 EAO FMA sisters in Mornese (Italy) - Aug5
- Related news article: AustraLasia 5660 (III) August 2021 - EAO vocation blessing