When 245 Salesians listen to 14 young people
Valdocco, Turin, 4 March 2020 -- The third week of the General Chapter 28 continues, with the presence of 14 young adults from America, Africa, Europe and Asia amidst the 245 Chapter delegates. The long journey of listening had already begun in most of the SDB provincial chapters (2019). As Don Bosco was listening to the voices of the young at Valdocco, also his successor and the Salesian leadership does today.
Thanks to the simultaneous translation their voices in French, Spanish, Italian and English can be understood. We are glad to see among the 14 young people also three observers invited from our EAO region (Taichi from FIS, Andre from FIN and John from VIE). During the morning session on 3 March the Salesians were listening for the first time to their insights, wishes and dreams about the Salesians.
What kind of Salesians are the young people dreaming about?
- Salesians who are able to create a family spirit in our educational environments, being able to accompany the young side by side.
- Salesians who are open to a dialogue on any topic the young people bring to their attention
- Salesians who would foster the protagonism of the young, not only as their mentors but growing together
- Salesian who are able to appreciate the presence of Mamma Margaret in our Educative and Pastoral communities
- Salesians who love each other and are never tired of building fraternal communities
- Salesians who are courageous and patient in their spiritual accompaniment of the young
- Salesians who never reject the young, but always are willing to welcome and listen to them
- Fearless Salesians who are not afraid to seriously tackle many issues that are taboo in society, and never humiliate the young
The majority of the young people expressed their excitement at being able to speak to the chapter delegates, but also their concern as to what the resultsf this listening will be and how they will be implemented in the various regions and provinces around the world.
During this week the young invited observers of GC28 join the work in the commissions, in the assembly and the whole day from morning prayers until the good night talk. Thanks to the flexibility of the organizers they were also able to make a short pilgrimage to Colle Don Bosco - Becchi (Monday) and to Chieri (Tuesday).
Related news articles:
- AustraLasia 5075 (III) 64 Salesians listen to 13 young people (Vietnam)
- AustraLasia 5252 - Interview with former volunteer in Myanmar (FIS - SALVO)
- AustraLasia 5077 (III) Heart in Hand (VIE - lay volunteers)