Today starts the 2018 Synod of Bishops in the Vatican
Vatican, 3 October 2018 -- Among the 264 Synod 'Fathers' there are also 34 Young people - observers and 16 SDB confreres (priests, bishops and cardinals) and 2 FMA Sisters.
Each member of the Salesian Family would be interested to follow the rich sharing and discernment of the Youth-Faith-Vocation Discernment Synod of Bishops 2018.
There are two high quality Salesian reflection available on the Boscolink to understand the goals, proposal and frame of this Synod, so dear for each Salesian heart. Our General Councilor for the Youth Ministry, Fr. Fabio Attard article on 'Vocational Youth Ministry - discernment and spiritual accompaniment' - to renew and strengthen our commitment in the accompaniment of the young. Each can be easily guided through his five points in the Salesian reading of the Synod Working document:
- The story of the Young
- In the light of the Word
- Understanding clearly the term 'Vocation'
- The Art of accompaniment
- Qualities of mentors
From his rich experience, deepl involved in the Synod dynamics, the Special Secretary, Fr. Rosanno Sala (Professor of Youth Ministry at the Salesian Pontifical University in Rome) help us to understand the Synod as the listening to the Word of the Young and the Journey of the Church or Invitation to renew our Youth Ministry:
- The whole synodal process
- Working document as Frame of reference for the Synod
- Conditions of exercise the Church mission today
- The needs of the Young
- The two sides of the digital world
- Three proposals to address the emerging challenges:
- The Church that humbly discerns
- Building up a (lost) vocational culture
- ccompaniment of the young - way forward
During next 25 days we are called to accompany Pope Francis and all Bishops, together with our Rector Major and other Salesians in the Synod, in our daily prayers:
in journeying towards the Synod,
your Church turns her attention to all the young people of the world.
We pray that they might boldly take charge of their lives,
aim for the most beautiful and profound things of life
and always keep their hearts unencumbered.
Accompanied by wise and generous guides,
help them respond to the call you make to each of them,
to realize a proper plan of life and achieve happiness.
Keep their hearts open to dreaming great dreams
and make them concerned for the good of others.
Like the Beloved Disciple,
may they stand at the foot of the Cross,
to receive your Mother as a gift from you.
May they be witnesses to your Resurrection
and be aware that you are at their side
as they joyously proclaim you as Lord."
- Salesian reading of the 2018 Synod Working Document (Instrumentum Laboris): Fr Fabio Attard, SDB (Councilor for YM) and Fr. Rosanno Sala SDB (Special secretary of the Synod)
- AustraLasia 4860 (I) Young People - Faith - Vocation Discernment (SDB participants in the 2018 Synod)