?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5495

20201028_WOR.jpg

By our own correspondent

Adwa, Ethiopia (AET Viceprovince), 28 October 2020 -- On 20 October 2020, the Vietnamese Embassy in Tanzania sent an appreciation letter to (Duc cha = Father) Joseph Trinh Kinh Luan, Vietnamese Salesian missionary, serving since 2008 in Ethiopia. His merit was to assist the repatriation of 55 young Vietnamese migrant workers who were stranded due to the pandemic far away from their homeland. At present he is assigned to the community of Adwa as economer and also as Provincial delegate for mission animation.

This is Fr. Luan's version of events:

During this Covid-19 Pandemic, I have been assisting in the repatriation of many Vietnamese nationals, most of them young migrant workers abandoned by their companies and stranded in many parts of Ethiopia. Since I am a bit familiar with the culture and the language of the people, I became a point of reference for the Vietnamese government through the Vietnamese Embassy in Tanzania (NB - there is no Vietnamese embassy in Ethiopia).

It was an adventure never experienced before. During the whole operation I didn't meet face-to-face with any one of them. First I was doing the identification exercise of the stranded Vietnamese workers, then assisting in their documentation processes, arranging their food and accommodation in hotels, processing the required medical examinations and insurances that are needed for travel. With the lack of commercial flights, I was working to book most of them on the chartered flights organized by the Vietnamese government in conjunction with Ethiopian Airlines. As of now, together with the Vietnamese Embassy in Tanzania, concurrently with the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, I have managed to help 55 Vietnamese nationals in different rounds return safely. Now these young people are reunited with their families back in Vietnam. There are about 10 others who are on the waiting list to be assisted in the same way.

Although this work is still ongoing, my commitment has been appreciated by the Vietnamese government through its letter of acknowledgement and special gratitude sent to me. Yes, it has been a very risky exercise to help those in need since we were never able to meet personally. Some had been stranded in airports for weeks before I could identify them and help them out. After the pandemic affected their companies, they had no money for their daily upkeep and accommodation. I had to respond to the call to lift these young people out of this situation by supporting them whatever I can do, and above all, arrange their happy reunion with their families.

Due to lockdowns and restricted movements adopted by many governments, it has been difficult to work on their documentation. I have to contact many offices and friends whom I know working in different places in order to manage the documents and air tickets. Although we do not know each other, it was a great joy for me to accompany those young people during this difficult time. I am sure that this is the new frontier of our Salesian mission, giving hope and love to those most in need. In this way, we are witnessing the Gospel and the Salesian spirit before non-Catholics and both governments of Ethiopia and Vietnam."

-------
Adwa, where Fr Luan is located, is also affected by the Covid19 pandemic, although with just a dozen cases. But the Adwa Don Bosco community (started in 1988; at present with a parish, technical college, aspirantate and oratory) is actively involved in alleviating the suffering, especially of lonely senior citizens. The large agricultural space not fully maximized during the last 10 years, is now among the important targets of the SDB community for more agricultural products and also for livestock.

The Salesian presences in Ethiopia Vice-province (AET, provincial Fr. Hailemariam Medhin) were started a few years earier, in 1975. Now the 100 SDBs are spread all around the country and in charge of the Apostolic Vicariate of Gambela. The Viceprovince (AET) welcomed two new Salesians after finishing their novitiate on 8 September 2020.

Among the EAO missionaries in Ethiopia we know Br. Cesare Bullo (formerly of VIE), Fr Joseph Luan (VIE), Fr Joseph Phong (VIE) and Br Ephrem Umandal (FIN). God knows why - all four of them are in charge of their house economy.

Related news article:

20201028_WOR1.jpg

20201028_WOR2.jpg

20201028_WOR3.jpg

20201028_WOR4.jpg

20201028_WOR5.jpg

20201028_WOR6.jpg

122430741_2118066408369758_7906541950649583335_o.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5830(IV)_VIDES Culture of Reciprocity - 12th International Congress

By Raphael Makoto Yamada VIDES Japan member Rome-Tokyo, 8 July 2022 -- Almost 6 years after the previous VIDES International Congress (Rome, Pisana) in 2016, the 12th VIDES International Congress was held in Rome (Sassone - Carmelo), from 1...
    Date2022.07.10 CategoryWorld Reply1 Views966 file
    Read More
  2. 5830(III)_VIE Inter-parish Summer Camp Program

By VIE SC Hococ, Vung Tau, Vietnam -- In the lively atmosphere of summer 2022, from July 2 to 3, Don Bosco Ba Thon Parish hosted the second Interparish Summer Camp program at Ho Coc, Vung Tau. Participating the summer camp are students from...
    Date2022.07.10 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views887 file
    Read More
  3. 5830(II)_Don Bosco 'motherhouse' in Mindanao

All about growth By Fr. Joriz Calsa Mati, Mindanao, the Philippines, 7 July 2022 -- During the past 30 or so years, Don Bosco Mati (mother-house of the FIS Salesians in Mindanao island) with its large parish and TVET, is slowly growing, jou...
    Date2022.07.10 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views467 file
    Read More
  4. 5830(I)_Towards the Salesian world level meeting on Youth in need 2022

By Youth Ministry, EAO EAO, 7 July 2022 -- Already 22 years have passed since the previous world sharing of Salesian mission for the youth in need, held in Rome in 1998 and convoked by the late Fr Juan E. Vecchi. Now, carefully in preparati...
    Date2022.07.10 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views466 file
    Read More
  5. 5829_VIE ASC: Second Formation Course At Don Bosco K’Long Center

By VIE SC Don Bosco K'Long, Vietnam, 6 July 2022 -- The Salesian Cooperators of Vietnam organized a second training session for Cooperators and Candidates on Saturday, July 2, 2022 at Don Bosco K' Long Center. Participating in this ...
    Date2022.07.06 CategoryASC Reply0 Views460 file
    Read More
  6. 5828(III)_Vice-province Timor Leste 2016-2022

Six fruitful years This Timor-Leste Vice-province sharing is based on the 22-page report of the outgoing provincial. We are grateful for this diligent reporting on the Road Map received from the hands of the Rector Major in 2016. Dili, Timo...
    Date2022.07.03 Reply0 Views891 file
    Read More
  7. 5828(II)_A zealous Pacific missionary Fr James Adayadiel, RIP

By Fr. Will Matthews SDB, Provincial Auckland, New Zealand, 2 July 2022 -- United in the Risen Lord, I inform you of the death of our brother and friend, Fr James Adayadiel SDB, at the Home of the Little Sisters of the Poor in Auckland, New...
    Date2022.07.02 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1130 file
    Read More
  8. 5828(I)_Confrere and Scholar, Fr. Norman Ford SDB has passed away

By Australia-Pacific Province Melbourne, Australia, 3 July 2022 -- Our brother and friend, Fr. Norman Ford SDB, passed away peacefully at Mercy Place in East Melbourne on 25 June, at 8:00 am. Fr. 'Norm' was 87 years of age. He was a...
    Date2022.07.02 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views729 file
    Read More
  9. 5827(III)_FIN Province Celebrates Provincial Chapter 2022

By FIN Social Communication Mary Help of Christians Center for Spirituality, Batangas, the Philippines, 27 June 2022 -- 51 Salesian priests and brothers gathered from 19 to 24 June to celebrate the Provincial Chapter with the theme “R...
    Date2022.06.27 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1032 file
    Read More
  10. 5827(II)_Past Pupils of DB gifts: Newsflash, Strategic Plan, Gastini's biography

By World Confederation of Past Pupils of Don Bosco Rome, 27 June 2022 -- On 24 June the 152nd anniversary of their Association - the World Confederation of the Past Pupils of Don Bosco was proud to share three meaningful gifts: the 46th New...
    Date2022.06.27 Reply0 Views1051 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... 533 Next
/ 533