PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1376 Comment 0

20190506_FIN.jpg

National Youth Day 2019, Cebu

By Julian Gabriel A. Natividad, SYM
Don Bosco Technical College, Mandaluyong

Cebu City, the Philippines, 28 April 2019 -- The National Youth Day 2019 is a nationwide celebration of the youth in the Philippines with the theme, “I am the servant of the Lord. May it be done to me according to Your word. [Luke 1:38]” It is a celebration that serves as a gift for the youth that shows the Church’s love for them which are highlighted by various activities and events. Hosted by the Archdiocese of Cebu, the event was held from April 23 to April 28 in the parishes of Metro Cebu, Philippines where at least 12,000 delegates coming from different dioceses in the country participated.

Being part of the thousands of youth pilgrims in this nationwide celebration during the year of the youth is such a striking experience for many reasons. One of the reasons is that the venue was held in a province where the Catholic faith started in the Philippines in the year 1521. It is also on this island where people are highly devoted to the Child Jesus, Señor Santo Niño, and to the patron saint of the Filipino youth, Saint Pedro Calungsod, who both serve as models for us young people. Moreover, this gathering complimented the preparation for the 500th year of Christianity in the Philippines, where the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines declared 2019 as the Year of the Youth with the theme, “Filipino Youth in Mission: Beloved. Gifted. Empowered.” With this 6-day event, aside from the weather and the hospitality of the people, it was truly a warm experience of getting closer to the Lord for I have made dozens of realizations.

Each day of this nationwide celebration highlighted a theme that served as an overview of what to expect and what to reflect on as a delegate. For the first day, the theme was, “Welcome to Cebu, welcome to our hearts!” Through this theme, it emphasized the known Cebuano hospitality which we felt as delegates when we arrived at the festival site of St. Nunzio Sulprizio in Naga City. We received a warm and festive welcome at the parish where all the people of Naga City have smiles on their faces. Afterwards, we were brought to our foster families who accommodated us throughout the event. All of them were generous and hospitable especially my foster parents Elvis and Mildred Borromeo who were simple yet caring. They also took us to one of their city's main attraction which is the boardwalk near the city hall. Through this, we felt their hands extending to us which helped us settle before the beginning of the celebration.

The opening program happened on the second day where all of the 12,000 delegates from the 9 festival sites gathered in the Cebu City Sports Complex to take part in the official start of the National Youth Day. For the first time, I witnessed what 12,000 people gathered in one venue looked like. Standing and being part of that 12,000 young men and women, I realized that even if we came from different regions and provinces across the Philippines, the youth shared the same love for God. As part of the program, we were also welcomed by Archbishop Jose S. Palma of Cebu in which he emphasized that we are blessed by the Santo Niño and Saint Pedro Calungsod for we are in the very cradle of Christianity in the Philippines, hence, the day’s theme, “Treasuring the Cradle of Christianity’s Gift of Faith.” We concluded the day by celebrating the Holy Mass at the Pilgrim Center of the Basilica del Sto. Niño. For someone like me who celebrated the Holy Eucharist there for the first time, the feeling was almost surreal. Nothing beats the feeling of glorifying our Lord along with the thousands of young people at the heart of the Philippines’ Catholic faith.

The third day was spent within our designated festival sites where we were grouped with pilgrims from other delegations. With the theme, “Fiat: Brave, Generous, and Joyful” we had the opportunity to share to others what part of our lives served as saying “Yes” to Lord just like how Mary did. Upon hearing the stories of other NYD pilgrims, it broadens my perspective with regard to the profile and potentials of youth ministries. From what I have decoded, youth groups and youth ministries are indeed empowered for they have the gifts, the obedience, and the bravery to always say “yes” to the Lord. During the youth talks segment, Fr. Richard Lagos reminded us that saying “yes” means we accept the challenges even if we do not know what could happen to us. This then can lead us to discover, learn, and do new things which we can use to address present social issues in our communities. Imagine what impact it would make if hundreds or thousands of youth ministries do greater things through accepting God’s plan. Moreover, the testimonies shared by some of the pilgrims who discussed what happened in their lives after saying “yes” to the Lord were truly inspiring. Their testimonies brought them to the realization of their purpose of being servants of the Lord.

For the fourth day, the catechetical theme was “Community of Believers Bringing Change to the World.” This theme reminded us that when we say “yes” to God’s call, we also say “yes” to being involved and immersed in communities wherein we find our mission and purpose. With that being said, the highlight of this day was the NYD Service Revolution where we were immersed to the different barangays or villages around our respective parishes and festival sites. We were tasked to observe and evaluate the present situation of the village we were assigned in. Afterward, we had to think of what we can do to address the present problems in that community and to help the lost, the least, and the last. If we are going to look at the bigger picture, imagine at least 12,000 young people doing something good for hundreds of communities simultaneously, and imagine the difference that movement could make. This makes us realize the power of the Catholic faith spread among numerous youth ministries in the Philippines or in the world who are also guided by the corporal and spiritual works of mercy. If we as the Church become one in spirit and in action, we become true agents of social change where we can tackle various areas of concern within the communities.

As we concluded the National Youth Day 2019 on the fifth and sixth day, we were reminded of the theme, “Together with Mary, we are the Servants of the Lord!” For this last 2 days, we gathered once again in the Cebu City Sports Complex where we kicked-off the NYD, and in the same way, we tried to look back on what we have learned and realized from what we have experienced these days of the NYD. It was also in this same way that we go back to the Lord in silence during the Eucharistic Adoration.

As we adored the Blessed Sacrament and celebrated our closing Holy Mass, I realized some important things before returning home. First, I should always lead myself to Jesus for He is my mission. Through Him, I will discern the next thing I should do in my community and my Church. Second, this mission should involve the 3 L’s which is the Lost, the Least, and the Last.

As the NYD comes to an end and as we, the 12,000 young delegates are blessed before we are sent back to our respective parishes, we are directed to be with the ones who are lost for it is our mission to spread God’s love and be witnesses of it. We are called on a mission to do something for our neighbors who are suffering and in need. We are called on a vocation that will fill our lives with meaning and purpose based on the plan of God for us. And that leads me to my final realization that we should always say “Yes!” to the Lord just like Mary, and apply and live the life of Jesus for we are beloved, gifted, and empowered!

20190506_FIN1.jpg

20190506_FIN2.jpg

20190506_FIN3.jpg

20190506_FIN4.jpg

20190506_FIN5.jpg

20190506_FIN6.jpg

20190506_FIN7.jpg

20190506_FIN8.jpg

20190506_FIN9.jpg

20190506_FIN10.jpg

20190506_FIN11.jpg

20190506_FIN12.jpg

20190506_FIN13.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5853(II)_Newsletter - A valuable tool for provincial community building

By our own correspondent Seoul, South Korea, 18 August 2022 -- Some Salesian provinces have a regular provincial newsletter service, usually monthly or bi-monthly, and some provinces have no provincial newsletter. Without doubt, this simple...
    Date2022.08.20 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views349 file
    Read More
  2. 5853(I)_Priestly Ordinations on Mary's Assumption

By Cl. Lorenzo Gabriel T. Estrella, SDB Photos by Juni Amora Alexander Parañaque City, the Philippines, 18 August 2022-- On the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Salesians of the Philippines-North Province r...
    Date2022.08.20 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views345 file
    Read More
  3. 5852(V)_Priestly Ordination of Fortunato H. F. Soares, SDB

By TLS Soc Com Baucau, Timor Leste, 16 August 2022 -- On 15 August, the Solemnity of Mary’s Assumption, Deacon Fortunato Henrique Flores Soares, SDB, was ordained a priest through the laying on of hands and prayers of the Metropolitan...
    Date2022.08.16 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views483 file
    Read More
  4. 5852(IV)_Thailand – Priestly ordination of Salesian Paul Warayut Charoenphoom

“He emptied himself” (Philippians 2:7) By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 15 August 2022 -- On Saturday, 13 August 2022 at "St. John Bosco" Church in Bangkok, the bishop of the Diocese of Surat Thani, Bishop Joseph Prathan Sridarunsil...
    Date2022.08.16 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views671 file
    Read More
  5. 5852(III)_The First Profession Mass, Vietnam

By Viet SC Ba Thon, Vietnam, 16 August 2022 -- A Mass of First Profession for 12 confreres took place at 6:00 a.m., Saturday, August 13, 2022, in the Community of the Sacred Heart, Ba Thon, in the Salesian Province of Don Bosco Vietnam. The...
    Date2022.08.16 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views419 file
    Read More
  6. 5852(II)_A people of dedication, commitment and hard work

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Seoul, South Korea, 15 August 2022 -- “Leave your bags in the front and we will have breakfast inside,” said Fr Dominic Seong sdb, Provincial Secretary of the Salesian Province of Korea as we walked i...
    Date2022.08.16 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views373 file
    Read More
  7. 5852(I)_Consistent sharing of the Word - Fr Stefano Yang in Korea

By our own correspondent Neri, South Korea, 13 August 2022 -- Since 2019, as rector of the seashore Salesian retreat house in Neri - South Korea (150 km from Seoul) Fr Stefano Yang, SDB, lives more than ever with his passion to share the Wo...
    Date2022.08.16 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views389 file
    Read More
  8. 5851(III)_ A Course on Basic Communication for Pre-novices

By Vietnam SC Hoc Mon, HCM, Vietnam, 12 August 2022 -- The VIE Social Communication Commission organized a course on Basic Communication for 18 pre-novices at Dominic Savio Cau Bong community (Hoc Mon, Ho Chi Minh City) from 3-10 August 202...
    Date2022.08.12 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views515 file
    Read More
  9. 5851(II)_SALT CAMP 2022: LAUDATO SI’ CAMP

By Jane Gabrille S. Maglente Don Bosco-Mati youth leader Mantalongon, Dalaguete, Cebu, 12 August, 2022 -- God’s greatness is truly evident! After several online youth activities, the Salesian Youth Movement-Philippines South Province ...
    Date2022.08.12 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1047 file
    Read More
  10. 5851(I)_EAO Eco Team and Season of Creation 2022

EAO Eco Team, August 12, 2022 -- The multiple signs of global environment crisis reach us every day through all kinds of communications media. Don Bosco Green Alliance (DBGA), with 567 members in 85 countries worldwide (='exclusively...
    Date2022.08.12 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views452 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 533 Next
/ 533