NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
FIN
2019.07.14 05:32

5138_My life as a translator

Views 576 Comment 0

20190714_FIN.jpg

By Agnes P., VDB

Manila, the Philippines, 12 July 2019 -- Salesiana Publishers came out with the Don Bosco comics entitled “Johnny,” consisting of six issues on the life and times of Don Bosco. This was followed by the comics on Dominic Savio entitled “Saint at fifteen.” I saw these publications as helpful tools for the catechetical work we are doing in our little oratory in our non-Salesian parish. However, I thought that it would be better if these were in Tagalog. I broached the idea with Fr. Jose Reinoso, who said in reply: “Why don’t you do it yourself?” I took thiss as a challenge. Right after the cataract (February 2003) I undertook the translation of the comics into Tagalog. I presented the finished work with the hope of getting it published. Unfortunately, I was told that it was not possible due to copyright issues. It did not stop me from sharing the work with other catechists who were interested in it. We had to manage with photocopies of what I made.

My journey into Italian-English translation also came as a challenge that I imposed on myself.

During our formation years in the VDB Institute, our Ecclesiastical Assistant, Fr Lazaro Revilla, SDB, encouraged us to study Italian. He gave us basic Italian lessons during the weekends when we had our meetings. It was not really much but was enough to whet my appetite for the language.

In August 1989, I was the ex-officio representative of FILA in our 3rd General Assembly held in Frascati. Since I was then the Regional President, I had to make my rendiconto to our President General Gianna Martinelli. To do that, I had a translator. During that encounter, I jokingly told Gianna that the next time I have to make my rendiconto, I will do it without a translator. I turned serious and enrolled in the Italian language sessions offered by the Phil-Italian Association under the auspices of the Italian Embassy. I studied the rudiments but could not go into advanced studies due to my work in the bank and studies at the Don Bosco Center of Studies, Course on Lay Spirituality.

The scarcity of English formation materials for our Secular Institute in the face of numerous materials in Italian posed a challenge for me. I started translating some simple articles from the hard copies of Crescere [=Formation magazine of the Volunteers of Don Bosco] that we were getting from time to time. Word about the work I was doing reached Paolina Yip and she requested me to translate a copy of Crescere that she brought when she came to the Philippines for the first time.

My work expanded when our Center started to send me via e-mail the issues of Crescere. Later, I received the requests to send copies to other English speaking VDBs.

I was also able to translate the Directory and the Commentary on our Constitutions as a result of a need in our Region. Other formation materials had to be translated. These include the Guide to our traveling Retreat in Turin in 2016, Volume II of the Formation Aids, Basic Document of GA 7 and GA 8, Regulation of GA 8 and the book of Fr. Pier Luigi Cameroni, “Don Rinaldi.” At present, I help translate communications from the Center.

In the course of the years, I have accumulated two big Italian-English Dictionaries, numerous small ones, a book of Italian Idioms and other related books. I also have other dictionaries: English, Spanish and Latin. I had been looking for someone who would have the time to review my work but have not found one who could do it.

Despite the work I had been doing, I still cannot speak the language fluently. I need further studies and practice. To translate from English to Italian, I have to seek the help of the computer. There is really a great need for me to study further and practice more. Exposure to the language is quite important. However, I never had the opportunity for this, except during the times when I traveled to Italy for our General Assemblies, pilgrimages, and once, in 1996, on a research trip sponsored by the bank that I worked for."

NB - For many groups of the (Lay) Salesian Family in our Region, the ministry of translation is a life issue. Since the majority of their members are familiar mostly with the local languages, the task of keeping in touch with their charismatic roots and their present world leadership and animation is really extremely important. Our prayers for the upcoming 2nd EAO Salesian Translators Workshop in Myanmar.

Related materials:

Related news:

20190714_FIN1.jpg

20190714_FIN2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5877(III)_Church dedicated to St Callistus Caravario inaugurated in Uaimori Tula

By TLS Soc Com Team Uamori Tula, Timor Leste, 7 October 2022 -- It was a great joy for the people of Uaimori Tula. What they have been waiting and looking for for so many years, finally, they have received it. Uaimori Tula is well known as ...
    Date2022.10.09 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views428 file
    Read More
  2. 5877(II)_Blessing the Shrine of Our Lady

By Fr. Anthony Quang Nguyen St Margaret Mary's Parish Brunswick, Melbourne, Australia, 6 October 2022 -- The weather in Melbourne has started in spring with fresh flowers and warm sunshine, and together with the whole Church, St Margare...
    Date2022.10.09 Reply0 Views924 file
    Read More
  3. 5877(I)_Let's show and witness the beauty of faith

Archbishop Tim Costelloe By Australia-Pacific Salesian Bulletin Spring 2022 edition (October) Melbourne, Australia, 6 October 2022 -- In his interview, Archbishop Costelloe reflects on the Australian Catholic Church Plenary Council, the pla...
    Date2022.10.09 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views388 file
    Read More
  4. 5876(II)_Vietnamese Salesian Cooperators welcome 41 new members

By Viet SC K'Long, Vietnam, 5 October 2022 -- On October 2, 2022 at K’Long Salesian Retreat Center (Duc Trong, Lam Dong), the Association of Salesian Cooperators in Vietnam gladly welcomed 41 new members who promised to join. Duri...
    Date2022.10.05 CategoryASC Reply0 Views454 file
    Read More
  5. 5876(I)_Get to know the Past Pupils of Don Bosco - Newsflash October 2022

Past Pupils of Don Bosco, 5 October 2022 -- Fresh news from all 4 world regions of the Past Pupils of Don Bosco World Confederation are again available on 5 October (liturgical commemoration of Blessed Albert Marvelli, Don Bosco Past Pupil)...
    Date2022.10.05 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views704 file
    Read More
  6. 5875(II)_Communicating Christ Today in Korea

By KOR missions sector Seoul, Korea, 2 October 2022 -- Since mid-September the Korea Province (Holy Korean Martyrs, KOR) has been preparing for the 2022 'Salesian Missions Day' with the theme 'Communicating Christ Today'. Th...
    Date2022.10.03 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views402 file
    Read More
  7. 5875(I)_Missionary interview with Fr. Mathew Moon

What it is to be a new missionary in Siberia Yakutsk - Aldan SDB community, Russian Federation (Sakha autonomous republic), 1 October 2022 -- The 30-year-old Salesian presence in Siberia (Russian Federation) of Yakutsk (major city) and Alda...
    Date2022.10.03 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views448 file
    Read More
  8. 5874(V)_“I believed … I promised … I was healed”

Miracle leading to Bl. Artémides Zatti’s Canonization By Fr. Donnie Duchin Duya, SDB Manila, The Philippines, 30 September 2022 -- In the consistory held on August 27 of this year, Pope Francis announced that Bl. Artémid...
    Date2022.09.30 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1246 file
    Read More
  9. 5874(IV)_WANTOK BOSCO 2022 IN KOKOPO

By Lucy Urban Vice Parish Youth Coordinator Kokopo, Rabaul, PNG, 30 September 2022 -- The Salesians of Don Bosco in Kokopo East New Britain organized for the youth of Mary Help of Christians Rapolo Parish a three-day gathering, from 23 to 2...
    Date2022.09.30 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views405 file
    Read More
  10. 5874(III)_Catholics Celebrate Salesian Sisters 150th Anniversary

By Leotina Akwai Catholic Communication Solomons Henderson, Solomon Islands, 30 September 2022 -- The Salesian Sisters (the Institute of the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians FMA), Honiara, celebrated the 150th anniversary of the foundat...
    Date2022.09.30 CategoryFMA Reply0 Views379 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 536 Next
/ 536