?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 313 Comment 0

IMG_7110.jpg

By Maria Anna Pfister

Port Moresby, PNG, 5 April 2023 -- Hello, my name is Maria Anna Pfister. I’m from Germany and Poland and I live in Papua New Guinea as a volunteer of the Salesian Sisters of Saint John Bosco for ten months. Arriving on September 16th last year I didn’t really know what would be expected of me. Although I would say, I was well prepared since I joined “VIDES Germany-Austria”, which is the organization for international volunteer assignment in Germany and Austria from the FMA Sisters and who helped and guided me in my preparation. But as Einstein said: “The only source of knowledge is experience” and since I am privileged to have this great opportunity of traveling so far in my young age of being 18 years old, I am gaining a lot of knowledge through experiencing life in this beautiful country.

My main mission during my volunteering is to assist in the school life of MHCVETFC (Mary Help of Christians Vocational Education Training and FODE Center). The beautiful new school for ladies, built by the very kind Fr. Valeriano Barbero, SDB for the FMA Sisters Community in Port Moresby. To switch the role from being a student not long ago to working as an educator, is definitely giving me a new view into school life. I see how a good school can be a safe place for young people. I am also grateful for all the respect the students and staff members are giving me. The many school events like a Youth camp, the celebration of Teachers' Day (which I experienced for the first time) or the family gratitude day are a great opportunity for me to learn to know the school and the students.

“To become yeast in the human family” is the appeal of the STRENNA in 2023. We can become yeast in different ways. For me as a volunteer it means to share the knowledge I have with the students, to be available and to have an open ear for everyone. It is a silent work amidst the young people since I am one of them.

During my stay so far I have made the realisation that I get more than I can give. I’m getting so much love and respect from the people around me, so much care from the Salesian Sisters and I’m learning much more than the knowledge I can share. I’m learning not to judge too quickly because it turns out to be different than I thought, to be more humble and to appreciate more the things I have or that are given to me. I’m learning to be more independent and to respect anyone and since I have to deal with it in school, I’m learning a lot of maths and physics as well. All these things I’m learning and all the experiences I am collecting are making me grow as a person. But I think this is also what the STRENNA this year is about: Not just to make things grow around us, but also to grow in ourselves as a person.

Maria Anna Pfister is a VIDES Volunteer from Germany. VIDES is the volunteer group of the FMA. It stands for Volontariato Internazionale Donne Educazione Sviluppo. She spends her time with the students and shares her knowledge. In the process she gets more than what she gives.

1-926a62c5-e544-4a1c-819c-f71e6b3b31ae.jpg

1-6195f3f-4e57-49f2-8b87-9055957b5e3f.jpg

1-IMG_6367.jpg

IMG_6717.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6317_Extraordinary Visitation Fr Joseph Phuoc, SDB to Don Bosco Lospalos 0

2. 6316_Deepening and nurturing our growth in Salesianity 0

3. 6315_Spiritual Recollection, THA Salesian Cooperators of the Northeast 0

4. 6314_Regional Councillor on Extraordinary Visitation to Timor-Leste 0

5. 6313_FIN Holds Vocation Camp 0

6. 6312_FIN Holds Webinar on Content Creation 0

7. 6311_Empowering Animators: Transforming Perspectives and Practices 0

8. 6310_The sharing of the Strenna 2024 0

9. 6309_SYM invited to be Good Shepherds 0

10. 6308_INA: One step before the final 0

List