World
2019.09.16 05:29

5201(IV)_Mystery of God's call

Views 988 Comment 0

20190916_WOR.jpg

Vietnamese vocation story

By Br. John La Thanh Long, SDB
Vietnamese missionary to Brazil

Rome, Italy, 15 September 2019 -- The 150th Salesian missionary expedition (29 September 2019) is prepared for by a four week course for the 36 new missionaries. As in every (good) Salesian community, there is a daily good night talk. One of the 7 Vietnamese new missionaries had a chance to share a few days ago. The first two weeks of the orientation course was a time to learn the basic inter-cultural dynamics of inculturation, overcoming the cultural shock and living in inter-cultural missionary communities.

My name is John Long, a Vietnamese Salesian Brother. I'm coming from Vietnam, a Province with 333 confreres, including the 10 in the Mongolia Delegation [and Cl David and Cl Felix are already in the Vietnam Mongolia list of this year 2019-2020]. Myself and 7 other Vietnamese missionaries are already out of the VIE province SDB list! Among 323 Vietnamese confreres, 11 are working in other provinces like China, Australia, Japan or Italy; there are another 26 confreres who are being qualified abroad.

One of the characteristics of the Province of Vietnam is the strong presence of Salesian (Lay) brothers. Totally, we have 36 perpetually and 25 temporary professed Vietnamese Salesian Brothers. Almost every year, some novices like me choose to become Brothers. Just two years ago, among 10 novices, not less than five of them [50%] professed as Salesian brothers. People asked me and other Salesian brothers the reason: 'Why did you decide to choose this form of the Salesian vocation?' You know well that as in other Asian countries, in the context of Confucian culture, clergy - priests are more respected than other consecrated people like religious brothers or sisters. I don’t have the answer for others, but I want to share my story why I became a Brother instead of becoming a Priest.

THAT IS A MYSTERY - THE MYSTERY OF GOD’S CALL

Seeing all the priests around me, in my home parish, in the Salesian communities, my rector of pre-novitiate, the novice master, somehow I was not inclined towards the priesthood. A calling in me asked me to respond, I want to respond to the Salesian call as a Salesian Brother.

Maybe God was working in the journey of discerning my vocation as a college aspirant. I was placed in a Salesian community (Ben Cat in Ho Chi Minh City) which has some Salesian brothers and they were really attractive models. I would like to mention one exemplary model - Brother Vincent Chuyen.

He is now already 88 years old. He is a man of doing rather than speaking. Watching carefully how he behaved during these years has encouraged me to want to be like him. I can say, he is a man of God as he is always present at community prayer, in the Mass, at meals, and especially, he is a man caring for all confreres and visitors in the community. I have never seen him yelling or harshly reprimanding any one, always smiling to all the youngster passing by him. Now, at his advanced age, he cannot take on regular tasks with any vigor, his back is already bent and for it is very difficult for him to walk. Still, every day he is there in the playground with the boys who come to our oratory. He goes around, picking up some recycled stuff and selling for some extra money for the community to help the poor.

I am really impressed with his lifestyle. For me, he presents some aspects of a model Salesian, an exemplary Salesian (Lay) Brother and I sincerely respect and love him. I want to be like him, Salesian brother of prayer, of doing rather than speaking, serving other people with all my heart in spite of my limitations.

And I ask you to pray for him in these days. I am sure that he would be very happy to have you to pray for him and for his peaceful departure from this earth as a good lay brother in the Great Salesian Family. Good night.

20190916_WOR0.jpg

20190916_WOR1.jpg

20190916_WOR2.jpg

20190916_WOR3.jpg

20190916_WOR4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5883(II)_Leaders and Animators' Formation 2022: Negros District

By Deceree Baylin of DB Mambucal Mambukal, Negros, The Philippines, 20 October 2022 --The Leaders and Animators’ Formation or famously known as LAF was held last October 13, 2022, for the Negros cluster at Don Bosco Retreat Center in ...
    Date2022.10.21 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views848 file
    Read More
  2. 5883(I)_Philippines – ADMA Philippines celebrates its 40th National Convention

Paranaque City, The Philippines, 20 October 2022 -- The Association of Mary Help of Christians (ADMA) in the Philippines, celebrated its 40th National Convention held on 15 October 2022 at the National Shrine of Mary Help of Christians in P...
    Date2022.10.21 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views431 file
    Read More
  3. 5882(II)_WE ARE PROPHETS NOT MESSIAHS!

By Fr. Alfred Maravilla, SDB General Councillor for Missions RMG, 19 October 2022 -- After the resurrection of Jesus, he commissioned his disciples to go, make disciples, baptize and teach with the assurance that he will be with them always...
    Date2022.10.19 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views570 file
    Read More
  4. 5882(I)_Colors of Joy

Young people celebrate Wantok Bosco in Solomon Islands By Fr. Robinson Parappilly, SDB Tetere, Solomon Islands, 19 October 2022 -- Young people of Solomon Islands celebrated Colors of Joy through Wantok Bosco celebrations with the theme ...
    Date2022.10.19 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views493 file
    Read More
  5. 5881(II)_Quinquennial Priests train for Salesian Accompaniment

By Fr. Jerome Quinto, SDB Cabuyao, Laguna, The Philippines, 18 October 2022— Salesian Priests in their Quinquennial Formation Years (first five years of their priestly ministry) learn the basics of Salesian Accompaniment during their ...
    Date2022.10.18 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views464 file
    Read More
  6. 5881(I)_Father Joseph Nguyen Thinh Phuoc's visitation to Fiji

By Afia Enosa, SDB Suva, Fiji, 17 October 2022 -- There are several points in his opening talk that Father highlighted. The importance of “communion” in the community, with the Province and with the Congregation, communion with ...
    Date2022.10.18 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views574 file
    Read More
  7. 5880(V)_SDB Change Congress - Rome, September 2022

Rome, 17 October 2022 -- Although the memorable event of #SDBChange Congress was held last September 19-23 in Rome-Salesian Pontifical University, we appreciate the deep, detailed and enthusiastic sharing of one of the EAO provincial econom...
    Date2022.10.17 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1041 file
    Read More
  8. 5880(IV)_Gwangju 'Salesio' Past Pupils come together after 3 years

Gwangju, Korea, 17 October 2022 -- On Saturday 15 October 2022, more than 400 Past Pupils of Don Bosco, their former teachers with some Salesians of Don Bosco, gathered in Gwangju Salesian High School campus for the 40th 'Friends Great ...
    Date2022.10.17 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views1035 file
    Read More
  9. 5880(III)_FIS Salesian Cooperators celebrate their favourite model

By Arlene Sasan Provincial Coordinator ASC Cebu, The Philippines, 14 October 2022 -- 13 October is a special date for all Salesian Cooperators! It is a day dedicated to our patron saint as Cooperators – Blessed Alexandrina da Costa. T...
    Date2022.10.17 CategoryASC Reply0 Views318 file
    Read More
  10. 5880(II)_THA: Thanksgiving Mass for St. Artemides Zatti

By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 13 October 2022 -- On 11 October 2022, the Salesian Society of Thailand organized the feast of the canonization of St. Bro. Artemide Zatti together with 350 members of the Salesian Family at the Chapel of St. Jo...
    Date2022.10.17 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1337 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 533 Next
/ 533